1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[RD] George Floyd and protesting while black

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Estebonrober, May 28, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cloud_Strife

Cloud_Strife Deity

So, unless you've been living under a rock, you'll find the problem is that the latter is actually already inside the police.

I specifically said the police. Don't be disengenuous, okay?

Gorbles likes this.
  2. cardgame

cardgame Obsessively Opposed to the Typical

If you support the police as an institution and want it to survive, you'd better be brainstorming too. Present form is unsustainable.

JohannaK, haroon, gay_Aleks and 2 others like this.
  3. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

Cloud's given you more of a memory refresh than I could, so I leave that to her.

Maybe you should check your attitude the next time you consider patronising someone for theirs - honest advice.

So, the jailing of the "bums" and whoever else you were referring to should also go through the courts, and you should be more hesitant to support their jailing than you claimed to be initially.

Also, and I cannot stress this enough, but not only does instigate semantically cover "starting", the evidence includes the crimes committed. It's not a stretch at all. It's literally what happened.

4. Cloud_Strife

Cloud_Strife Deity

Except human history is full of examples of people conquering, raiding and ransacking entire civilizations and then rising about those they conquered, I mean jesus ****ing christ amadeus we both live(d) in one

Last time protesters got identified a bunch of them died, so nah i'm not going to fulfil your sick lust.

5. rah

rah Deity Supporter

Then I misread this statement. And you have made many comments in the past about other institutions.
    How do you correct that police force without changing those institutions? I agree that there are institutions that need to be changed. But I don't think cleaning the slate works so there need to be specifics. Like, while the justice system has many flaws, it's better than no justice system.

and maybe you should check people's actually posts before you make your accusations. Again you just made up that I inferred that everything was fixed.

6. Cloud_Strife

Cloud_Strife Deity

The police, as we have them, are a direct, literal continuation of the institution that existed during the time of slavery, jim crow etc.

Even well after Jim Crow the racial discrimination did not end, in fact it does not end to this day! If you want to save what vestiges of authority the police have, THEY MUST disband and reform, remove themselves from the past nothing else will work.

I can't make this clear enough @rah, no matter the disadvantages that come from starting afresh, nothing less then that will truly deal with this issue.

That's how the bad the situation is; the police have been given enough time to get their **** together. They haven't.

Birdjaguar likes this.
  7. Estebonrober

Estebonrober Deity

Violence is the last resort of politics. Looting and burning is a form of protest. I might no like it, but violence is more and more called for in these times. We as a people are being ignored and systematically disenfranchised.

8. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

I think what James Baldwin said about that 30 years ago is as relevant today.

The US has had another 30 years. How much time do you want for your progress?

9. Cloud_Strife

Cloud_Strife Deity

When you reduce someone's power or worth to buying and consuming, do not then complain when they resort to exactly that, but with violence instead of buying.

Estebonrober likes this.
  10. rah

rah Deity Supporter

@Cloud
    There is no group ready and able to take over those duties. What happens in the interim?

Yes, there is still discrimination happening. But if you totally eliminate the police force, you're not going to eliminate racism.

11. Cloud_Strife

Cloud_Strife Deity

And all the while the bodies continue to pile up and the effects of racial discrimination by law enforcement reinforce immense social disparities.

I do not trust the police to ever reform.

12. rah

rah Deity Supporter

Who will do those duties then? Or do you believe those duties are unnecessary?

13. Cloud_Strife

Cloud_Strife Deity

Do you want to solve the problem or do you want a continuation of the status quo? That is fundamentally the real question here; are you willing to have a repeat of the last few days in exchange for not having the social and legal upheaval needed to address the situation?

Which is it?

14. thecrazyscot

thecrazyscot Spiffy

My wife and I were talking about this last night, both absolutely horrified by the high-profile murders of black men during the past few weeks, and she asked me if it was wrong that she was glad our daughter looked more like me than her, because it meant she's less likely to be victimized and discriminated against.

I didn't really know what to say. I said something hollow about how it's not wrong to be grateful that life will not be as hard for your children, but it shattered me when she then rubbed her pregnant belly and told our unborn child that we would cross that bridge when we came to it.

She has so many wounds from growing up here. And she gets quietly wounded every time some new abuse happens to someone just because they're black. Wounds that I don't fully share because I just don't have the same context for them.

A while back I suggested we all go rent a cabin in the mountains for vacation. Her dad really resisted the idea, and I didn't really understand why. She explained: growing up black in the South, you didn't go into rural areas. You didn't go into the woods or the mountains where there wasn't a quick exit or a decent population center nearby that you could disappear into.

Yeah, I felt like an idiot, as I should.

And the efforts to provide equal opportunity - paradoxically - leave wounds too. She received a minority scholarship for her post-graduate schooling, and was accepted into the program at least partly based on diversity. She was wounded because her accomplishments couldn't speak for themselves. Even in her success, there was some sense of: "we'll give you some extra help to get there". It's insulting, even if the intent behind it is good.

Sofista, JohannaK, shadowplay and 6 others like this.
  15. amadeus

amadeus As seen on OT

Yes, they are as entitled to a fair trial as anyone else. I’m just kind of tired of people making excuses for them; the looters and the arsonists are simnot victims.

I’m just trying to follow the things here. Person A commits a crime against Person B. Person C feels outraged and steals a TV. The two criminals here are A and C. The only victim is B.

Fair point! Still would argue the looters and rioters aren’t very good citizens to begin with, and I suppose it’s good for all of us they aren’t in command of anything more than street violence.

You have an overactive imagination re: my motivations.

What of yours will you burn? Sorry, you can’t loot yourself since that’s a zero-sum game.

Edit: bungled the quote tags, twice, and clarified a sentence

16. rah

rah Deity Supporter

@Cloud
    I want to use the pressure of the last few days to force more transparency on the police so improvements continue.
    Many times these things happen it steps up the pressure. This is how we got to body cams and dash board cams. Those are steps in the right direction.
    We need more steps.
    But I don't see their elimination as a solution since there needs to be something in place.
    I have yet to hear what your solution is for the interim. Which is what I'm asking.

17. Cloud_Strife

Cloud_Strife Deity

Sorry i forgot that instituional and military violence is much more nuanced and precise.

Given your comments i'm pretty confident you don't really view the rioters as people who's actions can be understood under your frame of ideology.

18. Cloud_Strife

Cloud_Strife Deity

There is no "solution" to not having social upheaval, America refused to deal with the whirlwind it reaped for centuries and this is the consequence of it; as long as white america turns a blind eye to the experiences of PoC race riots will continue and grow increasingly frequent..

The police will NEVER willingly accept reforms and our political class are too craven to hold them to account.

19. amadeus

amadeus As seen on OT

I understand totally. They want TV, they take TV.

Now that the police are busy dealing with everything else going on, the risk:reward ratio has dropped to the point where the would-be thieves become just regular thieves.

20. cardgame

cardgame Obsessively Opposed to the Typical

I've brought up a couple things I think, don't know if I got your feedback on them at all...

step 1 dissolve police unions for national security if nothing else, just shove that down their throats like Reagan's ATC if you have to.

https://www.wfla.com/news/florida/florida-officer-fired-6-times-ordered-rehired-again/

step 2 all personnel files disciplinary records need to be public. The murderer from May 25 had a body count and 12 complaints of excessive force/brutality, all of which were closed with no punishment. Clearly the oversight is nonexistent. Create a brand new division of FBI or DHS or whatever agency is appropriate that is dedicated exclusively to hunting down bad cops. Internal Affairs for the entire nation. This is pretty involved cause it's gonna require some degree of federalization of our police system, local, county, state, all need to be on the same page here.

step 3 criminal prosecution must be decoupled from the police. I don't know how exactly that would happen but its necessity is obvious.

step 4 disarm the police, give them their guns back when they go through additional training/retraining similar to what the rest of the world has. SWAT can keep theirs. New police officers don't get a gun, period, for 1 year probationary period. Once you have a gun you are subject to EXACTLY THE SAME STANDARDS (with certain appropriate exceptions like open carry, maybe) as any private, non-LEO CCW licensee. No more ******* cowboys.

step 5 Re-establish the COMMUNITY in community policing. Cops must patrol the areas where they, themselves, live. No more us vs them bull. No arrest quotas, ever.

any additions? I'm sure I've left something out that's kind of important. Like step 6, mandatory body cameras for everyone all the time. Arrests made without body cam or dashcam footage can be straight-up dismissed in court without sufficient other evidence.

Last edited: May 29, 2020
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.