1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[RD] George Floyd and protesting while black

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Estebonrober, May 28, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

So you support the firing and jailing of the officer outed as instigating vandalism and arson?

JohannaK and cardgame like this.
  2. Thorgalaeg

Thorgalaeg Deity

First thing they teach at police academy in order to immobilize people is to press with the knee on the back, never on the neck. This was a cold blood premedited murder. The guy should be hanged.

caketastydelish and gay_Aleks like this.
  3. rah

rah Deity Supporter

Now that's a leap. Where did I say that? Oh yeah, I didn't. I have stated many times that the problem is not resolved yet and much work still needs to be done. Learn to read.

4. amadeus

amadeus As seen on OT

No, you charge people for the crimes they commit.

5. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

I'm confused. You were talking about sending people to jail for crimes committed. There is evidence a police officer has committed a crime. It should be simple to say "I support his firing and jailing", no?

And yet you're consistently arguing against people demanding more reparations now. You keep saying these things take time. The fact that you're arguing against people demanding justice now, against people critical of US police in general, are arguments you choose to make. They're arguments that work against people trying to resolve the problems you seem to agree with.

I can read just fine, rah, and honestly it's a bit sad that you take any personal attack or "angry tone" as a way to lambast posters (like Cloud, and others), and yet repeatedly come out with this insult against other forum posters. Are these digs acceptable just because you're making them? Or are you actually fine with people insulting you? It's honestly hard to tell.

aelf, haroon and cardgame like this.
  6. Cloud_Strife

Cloud_Strife Deity

not even trying to hide it, eh?

caketastydelish and shadowplay like this.
  7. rah

rah Deity Supporter

All I said was things are better and a final solution will take more time. I have asked for people to actually post a solution so I can discuss it and I did for those that did.
    Maybe you should check out a mirror.

8. Cloud_Strife

Cloud_Strife Deity

I posted a solution in the other thread but you didn't like it.

9. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

I expected one of the cops to start speaking with a Bane voice.

10. rah

rah Deity Supporter

I believe I said that dismantling the police force wasn't practical because it would lead to anarchy.

11. Cloud_Strife

Cloud_Strife Deity

Then don't complain when others point out that the end result of allowing the status quo to continue, even with a modicum of reform (which the police fight tooth and nail against)is the death of people, specifically African-Americans and how **** that is

Gorbles likes this.
  12. amadeus

amadeus As seen on OT

I certainly support his firing at the very least. His jailing, that’s for the courts to decide and he should be given a fair trial. Based on what I know now, I would vote for conviction.

But the crimes you said in your post were for instigating arson, which is a stretch. Instigating arson would be going out and telling people to burn down buildings.

Nothing to hide! I’m anti-bum and pro-worker. The looters and rioters are bums; the people that work for a living aren’t going out and smashing windows and stealing stuff.

13. cardgame

cardgame Obsessively Opposed to the Typical

What's happening in Minneapolis right now?

14. Cloud_Strife

Cloud_Strife Deity

What is it about these people that make you think they collect welfare or are bums?

I'm willing to bet a sizeable number of those rioting and looting hold jobs, probably more jobs than you do, amadeus.

JohannaK likes this.
  15. rah

rah Deity Supporter

@Cloud
    I believe all i asked for was people to come up with an Idea to discuss. Somer did and I discussed them.
    And I not complaining, just trying to refute. Unfortunately most here aren't really interested in an actual discussion.

I get it, I am more from the middle which means I get crap from both sides. If that bothered me that much, I certainly would post here.
    But believe it or not, some of my opinions have been changed due to discussions here. That is my purpose to be here. Read my sig.

And for the record I don't believe looting is ever a proper solution. Too many innocent people are hurt.

16. Cloud_Strife

Cloud_Strife Deity

You cannot refute the fact that the police, as an institution, have failed not only the african american community but the entirety of america.

They shouldn't be saved. Nothing beyond a total re-organization or dissolving of the police can ever truly allow america to move past this and i think you know that, no matter how uncomfortable the ramifications of that are

17. rah

rah Deity Supporter

And how are you going to replace it without facing the same issues? Do you think the military would do any better? And while I agree there are a lot of issues, I'm not saying there is a total failure.

18. Cloud_Strife

Cloud_Strife Deity

The police are a direct continuation of the institutions we had when black people were literal chattel and during Jim Crow, can you not understand that no amount of token attempts to re-ingratiate itself with minorities is going to change what happened and what is happening?

Small scale changes aren't enough, they should have been abolished and reformed decades ago but they weren't and riots such as these are the direct legacy of our continued enabling of this racist appendage of a (supposedly) former white supremacist country.

19. amadeus

amadeus As seen on OT

As a general rule, people in the productive ranks of society do not go around ransacking businesses and start buildings on fire.

As evidence, I would like to cite the entire history of civilized society.

Well, let’s get the names of these model citizens, upright and outstanding members of society, so that we can pin medals on them for their liberation of a shopping cart of Ding Dongs and Ho Hos. For they are the real heroes.

20. rah

rah Deity Supporter

Again, what is the proper solution and how do you transition to it? Keeping the peace is required.
    I think you'd be less safe if vigilantes and racists were allowed to run free.
    It sounds like you're proposing the destruction of all institutions. I don't see that ending well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.