• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Getting Information

Where do you go?

• Google

Votes: 45 86.5%
  • Yahoo

Votes: 11 21.2%
  • Other search engine

Votes: 10 19.2%
  • Wikipedia

Votes: 49 94.2%
  • People

Votes: 16 30.8%
  • CFC

Votes: 15 28.8%
  • Books/reference tools

Votes: 31 59.6%
  • Can figure it out myself/bs my way through

Votes: 10 19.2%
  • Prophetic images from the radioactive monkeygod

Votes: 8 15.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
ceoexpress.com because it has google, ask.com, amazon and wiki at the top along with an amazing number of other useful links.

ceoexpress.com because it has google, ask.com, amazon and wiki at the top along with an amazing number of other useful links.

Awesome site, thanks! :goodjob:

Google is theoretically the place to go, but it still isn't 100% efficient at finding relevant sites, much less expert sites.

Wikipedia is a good stop-gap for making Google-searches more efficient. It's not quite expert, but it's at least good in an "Ask A librarian" kind of way. And the Talk discussions on each page are quite interesting and show there are people who are passionate about even small details. One of the main downsides is there tends to be redundant pages, and a bit of anarchy to it because its almost a pure democracy (even maybe a syndicalist anarchy). Only the rational, 'guild' structure to it saves it, IMHO.
General interest topics (history, geography, etc..) are the best written on it, IMHO.
Apparently it doesn't score too much different than an average print encyclopedia.

Can't beat true expert opinions from academic, peer-reviewed references though.

I think that's a bad idea, unless it's of one of the few Wikipedia pages that have been completely locked from editing, especially since apparently meaningful revisions and reversions can be done at the drop of the hat. I myself didn't realize that Wikipedia is so 'evolving', til I started paying attention to the Talk sections.

It used to be pretty cool to cite informal references to the web, but the here-today-gone-tomorrow aspect makes it pretty sketchy nowadays in my opinion. I'd only cite references from websites that were clearly authoritative, like .org sites of NGO's or .gov institutions.

Have any of you cited a wikipedia entry on reports if you did academic work? I've noticed there are some teachers/professors that are lazy about the whole thing and take it. What do you all think about it?

I have no one around worth talking to, unless I want to know about biology or beer drinking.

So the library has the best stuff, and as has been said wiki->google first for gist.

Top Bottom