God damn this game is good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, sweet! I didn't know they'd patched the game so much in the last 2 weeks. Can you post the patch notes? I'd love to see how they fixed MP and the combat AI especially :D

read what i wrote again.
Sorry but im not going after the "bait".

I love this game... and yet I'm also disappointed that it's not as good (IMO) as Civ4 BTS. And those two facts are not mutually exclusive. Could Civ5 be better? Yes. Without question. But nevertheless, I'm still enjoying it heartily.

I ran a poll a couple weeks ago that showed pretty clearly that claiming civ 5 did not target civ 4 fans or civilization fans is as false in practice as in interpretation. One of every 3 players who thought Civ 4 is the best in the series, thought Civ V was a good game.

The same poll also showed that Everyone (with rare exception) who did not think civ 4 was the best in the series, thought civ 5 is a good game.

So, while it is very clear that there is a large portion of the civilization fanbase who do not enjoy the game, it does not follow that the reason is because the designers did not care about or ignored the existing fanbase.

Played Civ 5 for 240 hours now, and played the series from 1991. Despite some bugs, and a few issues here and there, I must say this is clearly the best vanilla CIV ever.

I remember the days I played Civ 1 and Civ 2, and yes, no game will ever give the same magical feeling I felt those days. But I remember what visions I had for Civ. I played a game called Panzer General those days too, and I got the thought; how awesome wouldn't it be to implement this battle system for the Civ-series, and now, 15 years later my dream has become reality.

I remember when Civ 3 came out, and how I realy liked bombardment from units being introduced, and how disapointed I was about the suicidal catapults in Civ 4, but all in all I loved both games. Civ 4 vanilla had a lot of interesting new features as well, but I felt it missed alot I liked about Civ 3. After 2 expansions of Civ4, bombardment was the only thing I missed from Civ3.... ;)

Now Civ 5. So many great solutions on many of the "problems" the civ-series have had. No more superstacks of doom, no more instantly raized cities, no more overpowered tech trading (abusing the AI or destroying multiplayer), no more abuse of knowing the mathematics of AI relations. We also have the most interesting concept of culture to date, the greatest game mechanic for golden ages, city states are introduced with intresting impacts on gameplay, the terrain is finally decisive in warfare, swamps are back, the maps looks stunning, the auto generated maps make more interesting maps then ever before and more realistic maps at the same time.

I also have my complaints, but they are on some small details here and there. Some of them unbalances the game too, in my opinion, but damn, this is things that can be easely improved. Even the terrible multiplayer lobby can be improved, and some other mp issues we have. I will not mention my concerns here. My point is that too many people in these threads seems so focused on all the small negative things that they forget to see the big picture. This game is really awesome, and a true incarnation of the previous games. Firaxis has moved in the right direction with alot of things here, they have not dumbed the game down.

The patches and expansions will without any doubts make this the king of all Civilization games. I'm a believer, and to Shafer; you are a genious! :)

Man, you nailed down my thoughts exactly. :goodjob:

Whoa lets not get ahead of ourselves ;) Fully expansion'ed and patched and modded Civ4 is a surefire contender for the greatest computer game of all time.

Meh...greatest empire manager (debatable) of the civ series, but I'm going to go with dead last in the series for the war and combat aspect. Everything about conquest in Civ IV was bad, from SoD to ******ed siege weapon mechanics. Civ III and Civ V are the best in the series to me for all around gameplay.

The diffenerce between Civ 5 and the older ones are bigger then ever. Some will like it, some will hate it or just not LOVE it. I am with the latter category. Civ 5 also attracts people, who never before liked civ games; that alone tells you CIv 5 is different then others.

read what i wrote again.
Sorry but im not going after the "bait".

I was joking, see the smiley? You did say "once they got the problems ironed out," which is past tense; that was my point.

Anyway, don't wanna muck up a positive thread. Like I said, I'm glad many people are enjoying it. :goodjob:

The OP makes some good points about improvements to the game. I too am happy to see stacks of doom disappear, the end of instantly razed cities and the end of tech trading. 1UPT, slow razing and research agreements are all big winners in my book.

I do miss the old culture wars, but social policies are a pretty good substitute.

All in all, a good game. When modders get moving on this, there's going to be some even better stuff, for sure.

Yay, a praise thread! I was seriously about to give up on this forum from all the negativity. I guess all the people that like the game have just been busy playing it instead of talking about it here :)

I agree with OPs points. Sure there are a few balance issues and tweaks needed, but overall it's a pretty damn good game. I'm impressed with how fast Firaxis rolled out the first patch and how many issues it addressed, it just shows that they're dedicated to improving it and listening to community concerns.

i would hope that it looks better graphically, since major leaps and bounds have been made since the previous version and certainly since civ i came out.

cod modern warfare was a great game graphically and gameplay wise for a fps, now we have mw2 which is graphically superior and has many changes which people think are better and some which are destabilizing....

bottom line, you can never fully compare a game to its previous releases b/c most new versions implement something which takes the game in a new direction.

ciV is a nice game to look at, has great music, and interesting new directions which it has taken, some awesome, some leaving me shaking my head going omg what were they thinking. Those things are subjective, the garbage ai is not...its horrible and the game mechanics while interesting in their own right, are not implemented in a way which leads to balanced gaming.

this is the problem with ciV and despite wanting to be optimistic about what patches may or may not do in the future, its hard to fix crappy ai. A crappy ai will ruin an otherwise interesting and enjoyable experience.

I like the new civ too :)
It is obvious there need to be made some tweaks and changes here and there, but the core is very solid and innovative in a good way.

Just sit out the AI tweaks and number tweaks, and I can see this game being as good as all the predecessors.

Played Civ 5 for 240 hours now, and played the series from 1991. Despite some bugs, and a few issues here and there, I must say this is clearly the best vanilla CIV ever.

I remember the days I played Civ 1 and Civ 2, and yes, no game will ever give the same magical feeling I felt those days. But I remember what visions I had for Civ. I played a game called Panzer General those days too, and I got the thought; how awesome wouldn't it be to implement this battle system for the Civ-series, and now, 15 years later my dream has become reality.

I remember when Civ 3 came out, and how I realy liked bombardment from units being introduced, and how disapointed I was about the suicidal catapults in Civ 4, but all in all I loved both games. Civ 4 vanilla had a lot of interesting new features as well, but I felt it missed alot I liked about Civ 3. After 2 expansions of Civ4, bombardment was the only thing I missed from Civ3.... ;)

Now Civ 5. So many great solutions on many of the "problems" the civ-series have had. No more superstacks of doom, no more instantly raized cities, no more overpowered tech trading (abusing the AI or destroying multiplayer), no more abuse of knowing the mathematics of AI relations. We also have the most interesting concept of culture to date, the greatest game mechanic for golden ages, city states are introduced with intresting impacts on gameplay, the terrain is finally decisive in warfare, swamps are back, the maps looks stunning, the auto generated maps make more interesting maps then ever before and more realistic maps at the same time.

I also have my complaints, but they are on some small details here and there. Some of them unbalances the game too, in my opinion, but damn, this is things that can be easely improved. Even the terrible multiplayer lobby can be improved, and some other mp issues we have. I will not mention my concerns here. My point is that too many people in these threads seems so focused on all the small negative things that they forget to see the big picture. This game is really awesome, and a true incarnation of the previous games. Firaxis has moved in the right direction with alot of things here, they have not dumbed the game down.

The patches and expansions will without any doubts make this the king of all Civilization games. I'm a believer, and to Shafer; you are a genious! :)

agreed

I couldn't agree more. This is actually one amazing f.ing game. Last night I played to 6am, just to get that one more turn... :)

However, the problems are not negliable. This has clearly been a beta release. My dx9 doesn't work. Dx10/11 insist on playing dx11 mode, even though my card only support dx10. That really sucks as everything is just very very slow.

Oh and the ai, the .. the ... and the .. I heartily recommend buying this game sometime in the spring when the initial bugs have been setled :)

what dx 10 gpu do you have? for some reason nvidia dx 10 cards, esp gtx 2x0 series, seem to suffer quite a bit. play in dx10/11 mode but turn down tessalation to low and you should see some improvements. I tried playing dx9 codepath with my gtx 460 and it was quite a bit slower in fact than in dx 11 mode.

@OP..

I fully agree! It's really great to see someone supporting the game and saying how much they enjoy it. For too long this forum has been full of QQers and whiners, posting about how Firaxis has 'betrayed' them.

Here's an idea... Firaxis: Probably NOT trying to destroy the Civilization franchise.

Poor guy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom