Gore Vidal: On Obama, America and a few other things...

The French government has withdrawn support of Polanski. Too bad it took a worldwide outcry. See Polanski thread.

@Miles: I think he was referring to the French Film-maker's Association anyway.

Well, after reading Vidal's comments that Mobby posted. I have to say if we do go to war with Iran in a few years, then his prophecy is quite true and his contempt toward the Media of today is justified.

I was working my way to that conclusion myself, and he has given me the words.

I think a wise person would actually question heavily an opinion they actually share with the man since he is obviously crackers.

I think a wise person would actually question heavily an opinion they actually share with the man since he is obviously crackers.

I'm pretty sure that I agree with Vidal that breathing is a healthy activity. Should I stop believing this?

I'm pretty sure that I agree with Vidal that breathing is a healthy activity. Should I stop believing this?

Well, I hear it can lead to cancer and other health related issues so I would take it with a grain of salt.

:rolleyes:

Be that as it may, I didnt realize that observing that people need to breathe in order to live was opinion based.....

And what intellectual class, whatever that means, is it that finds it perfectably acceptable to rape 13 year olds?

The one Adult Diapers is always ranting against. Y'know, the only true conservative intellectual...

Also, I still don't get the following:

" Tbh I'm surprised that he doesn't openly denounce Obama as many former starry-eyed people have done even here on CFC (as "Bush the II", etc.), but merely calls him inexperienced.

I'm not here to put posters on point and I'm not asking you to single out other posters either, but I can perhaps only think of a couple of people this would apply to, and not any more people in regular life outside the Internet either. The only people who've "denounced Obama" really seem like young people who just never cared for or were informed about politics anyway - they denounce everyone all the time.

I'm not here to put posters on point and I'm not asking you to single out other posters either, but I can perhaps only think of a couple of people this would apply to, and not any more people in regular life outside the Internet either. The only people who've "denounced Obama" really seem like young people who just never cared for or were informed about politics anyway - they denounce everyone all the time.
Well, perhaps 'denounce' is too strong of an expression. How's 'grave disappointment so far'? I remember a thread some time ago where multiple knowledgeable people expressed their disappointment with The Big O's performance 'til the present day. How he's continued Bush's policies on several fronts and even made plans of his own that are eerily Bush-like in many respects. "Bush with a nice PR face" was one of the names given to him as a result. It would be interesting to dig up that thread or make a new one and see if people's minds have changed by now, and in which direction.

I admit that I care little for politics and know even less about it, even domestically, and much less with American politics. I don't really denounce or endorse Obama, but in that thread at least there seemed to be a lot of very disillusioned people. Fwiw, I do think denouncing things is by default much healthier and safer than endorsing them. One who hates or at least suspects everything is usually right in this world, sad and mad as that might be.

Unfortunately I anticipated an answer like this.
Bill, you are quite a bright lad. You don't need to do such things.
It doesn't seem to lead to anything constructive.

LOL

He is downright wrong. He just never went to CFC OT to find them.:mischief:
Ah, the famour Socratic irony...
Good one.

The man asks about an intellectual class and you suggest the French? Bill, if you can't read, don't post.
Oh he can read. it is just that his childish side likes to take over once in a while, I suppose.

And, to be more specific, what constitutes a wise person?
Or for that matter, "obviosly crackers"?

The one Adult Diapers is always ranting against. Y'know, the only true conservative intellectual...
Ah, that one. That makes sense.
Adult Diapers is a capital expression, by the way.

Top Bottom