Goz-12 - 5CC - Large map - Space Race

I'll take it. Next settler on red dot. Worker near Pyong to finish irrigate and road on current tile and then chop game forest.

I'll see what I can do about meeting other civs and getting some techs.

Let's hope we won't be "kicked off the planet" before :)

Also, I've been thinking about Hwachas. They require Saltpeter. I guess you haven't played the start long enough to reach Gunpowder, but it seems we're gonna need it. Am I thinking too far ahead or do we have a plan B in case we can't get it?

As far as I can tell, this game is gonna require a delicate balance of diplomatic finesse and clobberin' time. As zerksees pointed out earlier, he and goz could have launched a spaceship after they ground the rest of the world into powder. Even tougher to manage to launch with some other civ's still intact and relatively healthy.

Basically, if we don't have native salt, it's gonna take a fair bit of fancy trade to keep up a supply. Doable. Koreans actually have fair chances of being trade mongers. Not England, but they can do it.

Obviously we will need to acquire saltpeter. We have some mountains in our planned zone of control, and they could provide iron and saltpeter if we get lucky. If not we will trade for it when the time is right. 11 AI brings diplomacy to a new level of importance for me.

Deity 5CC is such a challenge - it's hard to plan ahead for this type of stuff. Once the problem occurs we'll solve it quickly.

Played about 7 turns yesterday - was the best I could do with mother's day and all. Red dot city planted, wasn't sure this was smart until I noticed the floodplains! We have enough gold to buy a tech, but I need more to make a big score. No additional civs met yet.

No one has demanded anything yet, but expect it soon and expect to have to give in to these demands for a while.

(Whoa I forgot these H'wachas have lethal bombard. We are going to want to keep some of these onhand after replaceable parts by not upgrading them to artillery).

Played 10 turns.

Explored but did not find anyone new.

2510 BC - Sadly Beppo was eliminated by a Jute barb on the IBT. Beppo was on a mountain near the homeland at the time of attack but he lost. English units avenged him.

We have enough gold (137 IIRC +10gpt) to buy a tech but not enough to buy one we can trade. Next player please double check this. England is only two techs up, I can see the Germans and Russia are four up, and the Celts and Iroquois are five up.

I had lux at 0 for several turns in the middle to catch some gold. Once the capital got up to size 2 I went back to 10% lux and sent the warrior out of Pyong to the east.

Rojo founded on red dot in 2270 BC.

Attachments

• goz12_2150 BC.SAV
    133.8 KB · Views: 74
Oy, goz, a roster perhaps? Just don't put me up next. I'm doing one other SG and then must actually attend to RL until the weekend.

Good job, zerksees! If we're gonna have to spend so much cash on techs, we gotta get tradable ones. (Hey, thanks for pointing out the obvious.)

My suggestion SM is we keep it relaxed and whoever has free time avail next takes it next and that way the roster sorts itself out - I'm up in 1 and about to be up in 2 other SGs so it may be a few days before I can take it

P'raps I just repeat goz's prev question :D

gozpel said:
Who wants it next?

Thanks Andronicus. :) That's how we play this game.

If anyone have time that haven't played already, just jump in.

And Bubba Jr has to be trained. That's very important.

Nice work, zerksees. Now we need to figure out the last spot, I want it by the mountains northish. Only to give us more chances of eventual goodies, but that town would need aqueduct in the long run...but who cares really?

A screenie for us to mull over

I've put my 2 cents into it with a couple of suggestions
Blue dot for gems, coastal, on lake, BG and fish
Pink dot lacks freshwater but can use 8 river tiles for commerce and gets 2BGs, some forests for chops (and maybe mopre BGs), as well as 4 mountains for shields later. No food boni, sorry.
Putting pink dot on the river causes overlap with Seoul or blue dot (if coastal)

edit - I think we could consider blue dot 1SE to get second gem mountain, also extra forest, grass and plains, losing a hill and 3 coastal tiles. This also gives option of pink dot moving to river / coast with only 1 overlapping tile (gains fish, but loses both BGs). I think the current spot for pink dot stronger, but not sure how much lack of duct will hurt early

BTW goz I would have put Rojo (red dot) on one of the hills so it could immed access the FP - build worker *2 and irrigate like fury. Would have fewer shields but quicker growth. Current pos gets less corruption (though we are commercial) but lacks defensive bonus of hill. Bit late for me commenting now I know but curious as whether you feel its current pos superior (less desert, less FP, more river plains)

Andronicus said:
edit - I think we could consider blue dot 1SE to get second gem mountain, also extra forest, grass and plains, losing a hill and 3 coastal tiles. This also gives option of pink dot moving to river / coast with only 1 overlapping tile (gains fish, but loses both BGs). I think the current spot for pink dot stronger, but not sure how much lack of duct will hurt early
I was thinking the same. I think the blue one would be better 1SE anyway, it gets another Mountain+Gem tile.

Regarding the pink dot, it looks more interesting. As opposed to the coastal position, it has 4 mountains and 2BG's. The coastal one has 1 Mountain and 2 Hills (which are far better). So we actually lose 2spt, not counting the ones we could possibly find under chopped forests in both cases. OTOH, we get a free Aqueduct, a fish, and a couple of 3gpt tiles. We even get 2 more food from the hills. :)

It's actually a quiestion of gold vs. shields. We're going to need both in this game, but it looks like especially Pyong and the Blue dot are already focued on production with their hills, so I think the coastal position for Pink Dot would be better.

BTW, I have a lot to do for school today so I can't grab the save, but will be free for most of the day tomorrow.

Thanks guys - now my 2 cents:

Blue dot looks good right now - though we should explore to the north to see if there are grassland tiles up there.

For city 5, pink dot looks OK. Others we may consider:

Other choice A: Plains tile 3W and 1 SW from Seoul. There is a river on that mountainside directly alongside the tile. Need to explore to the south/west of Seoul to expose the last couple tiles this would encompass. Maybe a bonus grassland there could make it good. But then I also worry about being right next to the mountains

Other Choice B: Hills tile 3SE and then 2S of Pyong. May be too far from capital, but would have an awful lot of flood plains (3 with wheat IIRC). Could be a huge cash generator in late game.

I'm finishing up "feast mode" so I will try to grab it either tonight or Thursday night (after Pentium)

I think having 11 deity civs on this map will make the trading hot and heavy and feel we can trade our way around so I lean towards Andronicus' original pink spot.

Pink dot not getting a river pains me, but I can't see the benefit of moving it to the coast and losing the mountains or crowding on the capital's tiles. I just hope there's more than rocks and dirt up in those mountains. Light blue dot is more mobile in my eyes, depending on what's on the tiles to the north. Could go 1SE. It pains me not to snag the two wheats on the flood plain in the south, but that would make a pretty lopsided empire.

I like the pink dot, 5 forests to chop will help towards an aqueduct later. Blue dot 1 SE.

Rojo sits fine where it is, if we would have to defend now or soon, the game is over anyways. Later with 2 border-expansions we can 'control" incoming traffic. Ans as soon as our 5 towns are settled, we can focus on our workforce and get our cities up to scratch. Now we need to grab those spots before anyone else does.

The floodplains SE is a tempting place, but too far away to be really useful.

Regarding scouting, we need to send out more scouts to uncover lands and find other nations, so techs gets cheaper. Right now everything is very expensive and we will fall behind.

I think blue dot is next to be founded, a curragh or two will help us a lot. And be careful with the scouts we have out already, they've walked a fair bit and should avoid any barbs if possible.

gozpel said:
I like the pink dot, 5 forests to chop will help towards an aqueduct later. Blue dot 1 SE.
Sound fine with me.

goz said:
I think blue dot is next to be founded, a curragh or two will help us a lot. And be careful with the scouts we have out already, they've walked a fair bit and should avoid any barbs if possible.
If nobody gets it before tomorrow evening (Whomp?), I'll play then. How many turns does it take to build a settler now?

I couldn't play last night Pentium so play away.

Top Bottom