GR14 - AWDG on an Ultra Big Map (31 Civs)

2110BC:
Pop hut got 3 barbs.

2070BC:
Well we have a new town Lugdunum, it starts a warrior.
Warrior kill a barb no damage.
Lux to 30 as we go to size 6.

IBT:
Barb attack the warrior and we go redline and then promote.

2030BC:
I attack the barb anyway and all are cleared. Redlined though.

IBT:
Arab warrior pops up next to the redlined warrior.

1990BC:
Set lux back to 20. I guess we dare not settle to the East right now, so I will go West.

We probably need to settle towards the moutains, if we want to have Iron. I hate to go with so much shield poor land though.

1950BC: nothing, the warrior seems on his way to some place and did not chase me.

1910BC: nothing

1870BC:
Lux to 30 as size 6 again. Redline warrior heading home. Lud finished warrior and starts a worker.

1830BC:
Found Camulodunum and start a worker. I see a barb is two tiles away and the warrior coming will not get there in time, so we will lose some gold.

The Arabian warrior is headed that way as well, but will not get there first.
Alesia starts warrior.
I do not think we can afford to keep the settlers coming out without support right now.
Arabs are out and about south of the border and barbs are north of it.
Only the cap has 2 units and new towns have none. So I break in to make 1 more unit in the cap.
Drop lux.

1790BC: nothing

1750BC:
I managed to guide the redline warrior next to Lud and the abrabian warrior has followed. Cam ransack for 26g. Another barb has shown up, but not sure what he plans as it is midway from the worker and Cam.
Send the new warrior from the cap to Cam. Start a settler, but you may want to make an archer first.
80% Masonry in 28 turns, -3gpt 88 in the bank. Switch Alesia to archer.

1725BC:
Masonry in 29 turns now as cost go up. Switch warrior to cover settler.
Lud is set to barracks, but that is just untl the next player decides what to do there.
There was an Arab warrior south of Cam, not sure where it is going now. The barb forted up with a warrior on each side of him. I did not attack it as I do not want to risk losing the only defender we have right now.

The worker outside of Lud is on its way to the deer and planning on connecting the cap to Alesia, so you can grab it if you have another task. We have 2 workers and one coming. 1 settler and one coming. 10 warriors with an archer in queue. 4 towns.

Oops, we're at peace with the French. Vmxa probably thought their warrior near Lugdunum was Arabian, since the colours are similar.

I'd send our settler presently in the western desert north, to claim some of the good tiles NW of Alesia. This would be a risk, but our enemies haven't been coming from that direction so far, and anyway I don't think we can build a winning position by settling for the safe, but bad, sites west of the capital.

Yikes, I saw him and planned to declare, but by the time I got back to the game, I just forgot about it an did not even notice again.

I figured we would go there with the next settler and was trying to keep the town contiguous.

Roster:

Greebley
markh
Northern Pike
vmxa - Just Played
M60A3TTS - Up
ThERat - On Deck

Two enemies I think we can handle. Heres hoping to not get many more. I would settle Eastward on the two rivers next.

We should aproximate when we need to start the prebuild. Our best chance is if we have just less than 300 shields when we get lit. I am guessing we can estimate when we get writing and know how long that will take. I guess that isn't for a while yet.

I'd send our settler presently in the western desert north, to claim some of the good tiles NW of Alesia. This would be a risk, but our enemies haven't been coming from that direction so far, and anyway I don't think we can build a winning position by settling for the safe, but bad, sites west of the capital.

I totally agree. Got it and will send him in that direction.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/43630/GR14_1500_BC.SAV

Pre turn- looks fine

IBT- French advance towards Camu

Turn 1 (1700BC) Declare on France

IBT- French move warrior next to Camu

Turn 2 (1675BC) Move our vet warrior into Camu

IBT- French warrior attacks Camu successfully and they raze it for 9 gold. They kill another reg warrior protecting a worker. I had a second warrior on top, so we’re ok.

Turn 3 (1650BC) Kill the French warrior, and go red but another Arab warrior is behind him. Move another reg warrior to cover.

IBT- Babs finish the Colossus. Reg Arab warrior attacks our reg warrior cross river and wins. Two more reg Arab warriors approach Lugdunum.

Turn 4 (1625BC) Richborough founded. I have to move the worker off his tile as he can’t be protected.

IBT- Two Arab warriors move next to Lugdunum.

Turn 5 (1600BC) Move red warrior to Lugdunum. Two now defend.

IBT- Arab warrior dies clean at Lugdunum.

Turn 6 (1575BC) Entremont archer>archer.

IBT- More Arabs heading to Lugdunum.

Turn 7 (1550BC) Verulamium founded. Start warrior.

IBT- More bad guys enroute

Turn 8 (1525BC) Vet archer dies clean against reg Arab warrior. Second archer kills it clean.

IBT- Two Arab warrior die attacking our vet warrior at Lugdunum who goes elite.

Turn 9 (1500BC) Move vet archer into Lugdunum. Another archer close, but can’t get there this turn. Four French and one Arab archers in a position to attack next IBT. We defend with two warriors and an archer.

Well that’s 60 turns total, so I guess I’m done.

Entremont has gone over to archer production. Another set of combat results like this, and we can call it a game. On the loss of Camu, all we had was one warrior and no roads to reinforce, so we were hoping for some luck there and didn’t find it. Without spears, this is going to be a challenge.

Alternating Entremont between 11 and 9 spt brings in an archer every 2, but of course we can’t afford to do that long. I wouldn’t be shy at this point with workers cutting timber, we need to get local superiority quickly or else they are going to roll us from the south. Masonry is still a couple turn sets away, and even then we’ll defend with warriors and archers.

sounds like a rough set..maybe we need to insert bronze working before alphabet to have a realistic chance here...we need to expand at all costs

by the way, I can't see any save :scan:

M60 that was a nasty break. I was sure hoping we could get lucky and not see any units coming down towards Cam. I almost stop making settlers sooner, now I wish I had stopped altogether.

It is worse to lost towns, than to not make settlers at this point. I think we make a blunder not going for spears before Masonry. At least we are getting archers now, instead of just warriors.

Maybe the NP or whomever is next can get a leader to ease the stress. Good RNG to him please.

sounds like a rough set..maybe we need to insert bronze working before alphabet to have a realistic chance here...we need to expand at all costs

by the way, I can't see any save :scan:

It's invisible, like Greebley's image files. Just do a quote and you can see it.

I think that 'quote' should not be there, then it should be fine

I tried but can't get it, could you attach it or post with out that quote....something like

URL=http://forums.civfanatics/uploads/43630/GR14_1500_BC.SAV]save[/URL]

save

Pre-Turn
our situation isn't that pretty, only 2 workers and 5 cities
switch Alesia to archer

IT our heroic warrior fends off 3 attacks at Lugdunum

1.1475BC
move 2 new archers towards Lugdunum
capital set to settler

2.1450BC
go all out on attack and defeat 3 warriors with archers, no enemy in sight for now

3.1425BC.
:gripe: of all things our capital gets hit by disease
we get anotehr worker

4.1400BC
thanks to the double disease and a settler our capital is down to pop 2 ( we can run 0% lux due to this)

5.1375BC
Lugdunum has a rax now

6.1350BC
zzz, where is the enemy???

7.1325BC
we get another worker
found Second Chance at the same spot at the coast

IT when I was wondering about the enemy, 3 new French warriors come into view
we have 2 new archers
Mayans finish Pyramids and Persians finish Oracle

8.1300BC
defeat 1 warrior and cover the archer with 2 more units, offensive defense is needed

9.1275BC
hmm, the French try to be smarter than us and do not attack but get closer to our city and more units come into view
retreat our units back to the city while defeating 1 unit

IT French do not attack

10.1250BC
fortify our troops in Lugdunum hoping the enemy will attack
we have enough cities building troops, capital is back to settler duty and will finish the next soon

masonry will come in 5 turns, we really have to think of BW or alphabet

Now isn't this fun? That 30% will be felt that is for sure. I think we need spears as we can expect swords in a short while, if they have iron. If we could get an army, we could get by without them for awhile.

Preturn: Minor change to get some more food. Switch to a worker next turn.

IBT: Elite Warrior holds off 2 Warriors.

1225 BC: Kill a Warrior with an Archer. Fail to kill the Warrior on flat with our Archer even though the Archer has 1 more hit point.
Use the Elite warrior to kill the archer (leader fishing).

1200 BC: Now all the units are heading to Verulum

IBT: Disease again!!!

1175 BC: Got units in Verulum but AI gets to attack first (warriors and one Archer).

IBT: We kill an attacking Archer and Warrior and lose to an Attacking Warrior (lose a Warrior).

1150 BC: Archers heal rather than attacking. Connect Furs and Lux to zero (until our town grows).
Capitol dropped down to size 2 due to disease.

IBT: Defeat the attacking regular Warrior. Only a conscript Warrior left.

1125 BC: We can get no luck this game - Vet Archer loses to Conscript Warrior. Um make that even worse. The second Archer loses as well and the Warrior promotes and has 2 hp again.
Switch a Settler back to an Archer because of these losses.
Bronze working is only 13 turns so worth doing.

1075 BC: Move next to an Archer, but we are on a hill

IBT: Archer attacks and loses.

1050 BC: Disease strikes Entremont yet again!!! Note that it rearranges our citizens each time so we also lose the growth every 2 turns as well as the population. We are size 1.

1025 BC: Build North Town in the north.

IBT: Three incoming Archers Spotted.

1000 BC: Retreat from the 3 Archers (we have only 2 but can be joined by 2 more making 4 for us and 3 for them)
Note that there is an Archer behind them so we may want a Warrior too to absorb the attack rather than risking an Archer (on the mountains a defending Vet Warrior vs a Regular Archer that gets shot at by defensive fire is actually decent odds).

Notes:
I built two settlers and have some more in production. As long as we have enough Archers to defend with I am happy.

Our luck remains abysmal. Bad RNG in combat and disease twice more. If I had known this was going to happen I would have chosen Emporer difficulty :cry: Losing two Vet Archers to the only conscript Warrior we met was plain mean.

I think we should still build towns as fast as we can, without risking too much. We will hit the town limit possibly even soon and then we can work on our Armies.

I think we go for Alphabet after BW. I would like to go for IW and our GA after we have all our towns.

I felt we should make a dot map but wasn't feeling up to it myself. If anyone has the time I think it would help

A picture:

The Save

If you knew all the disease was going to happen you could have worked few flood plains, I think that would lessen the odds. Now we probably have run through the worse part of it.

Yeah, we have to hold on till we have most of the towns up before our GA, if we are to have any shot at the GLB.

One of the other rough aspects of DG is they will have a larger pool of free unit support for us to deal with.

good call to gor for IW. We need our UU for any progress here.
Once we have 1 or 2 armies, we can go and raze towns and really hurt the AI. This way we should be able to make progress.

Thus we need to always have settlers in position to found new cities in case we raze towns or the AI razes some elsewhere.

I agree the RnG has been horrible so far

ThERat I am not sure what you are saying on the IW. Are you saying you agree with Greebly on BW, then Alpha and then IW? We surely need the UU to do any damage, but we need to have as many towns up before we trigger as we can get.

As long as we do not meet another civ, we probably can hang with archers, unless swords start coming. What is the research rate for BW, have we manage to do better than 50 turns yet?

Top Bottom