1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

[GRAPHICS] Blue Marble for Colonization

Discussion in 'Civ4Col - Mods and Files' started by ColdFever, Sep 23, 2008.

1. ColdFever

ColdFever blue

This program allows the installation of a new graphic design for Sid Meier's CivIV Colonization™, based on images of the NASA project Blue Marble, supplemented with a graphically modernized and harmonized user interface. Individual components are selectable in the setup program.
    Homepage and Download: http://www.civfanatics.net/bluemarble
    German Mirror: http://www.civilized.de/www/content/index.php?cat=civ4_bluemarble

Desired/Undesired components can be enabled/disabled during installation via options:
    Terrains: BlueMarble textures of the earth
    Themes: BlueMarble fonts and mouse cursors
    Backgrounds: BlueMarble backgrounds (loading screens, advisors, civilopedia)
    Leaderheads: BlueMarble leaderheads (color adapted and "aged")

history:
    2008-09-23: V1.00 - initial release
    2008-09-26: V1.50 - new wood interface, improved deserts, plains, greens, trees

terrain screenshots:

comparison screenshot:

2. V. Soma

V. Soma CFC Staff

looks sweet! :)

3. Zerver

Zerver CIV4 Unit-Maker

Hey, is it possible to use Colonization main game interface in a BtS?

4. mickeykool

mickeykool Chieftain

Noob question here, will these mods work w/ the game purchased on Steam?

5. henryMCVII

henryMCVII Chieftain

The new terrain looks good to me, guess I will try it. But the original background for the Continental Congress ist looking way better then the metallic new one and the original fits much more into the time span of the game. Just my 2ct.

6. ColdFever

ColdFever blue

Sorry, I cannot tell. I do not purchase games via Steam, so I cannot test these versions. My mod has been tested with the DVD version. I am confident in your case, but if the mod installer does not find your Steam game via the regular registry entries: try placing the mod installer into the program directory where "Colonization.exe" is located.

No problem. To disable this part of the mod, just disable the option "Backgrounds" in the installer. For myself I did not like the original "Old Wood" design so much, because it looks old like coming from a museum - while during the time of the game this wood has been brand new. The "Colonization" times were revolutionary, fresh times, and as a player I'd like to experience this. For this reason the metallic interface tries something completely new: applying modern knowledge (NASA satellite maps) on old tin art, trying to generate a kind of "Tin Platter" experience.

7. henryMCVII

henryMCVII Chieftain

No need to defend your opinion (with weak aguments btw. :D). I dont change my mind, just becouse I know what you where trying to do. To me metallic plates based on sattelite maps will not fit - no way for them to find into my game. But I bet, many fanatis here will love your metallic looking backgrounds. I don't. Anyway, keep up this good work. :)

8. ColdFever

ColdFever blue

If my weak personal arguments won't do, how about a historic argument for Metal as background as alternative for Wood in a Colonization game: During the Colonization period - how many people have been killed with wood weapons, how many people have been killed with steel weapons? I cannot recommend the following book enough. It even has been used by Soren Johnson for the development of CivIV:

Guns-Germs-Steel
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0393061310

Both Wood and Steel have been essential for the Colonization era.
    So I guess it comes down to personal preference again.

9. Civ.exe Error

Civ.exe Error RoZpierdalacz

I agree with Henry, the wooden background feels more "Colonization" - Let's chop some wood and build up a colony :)

10. ColdFever

ColdFever blue

Hmmm, if this would become general consensus perhaps I should drop the Steel/Silver/Tin design for Colonization. But first I will gather some more feedback from people who actually haved played the game and had the chance to compare both versions. In the meantime I can look for some wood textures. At least I would want modern wood, not museum wood.

11. rastak

rastak Chieftain

I'll give it a shot tonight. Looks very interesting.

12. Dale

Dale Chieftain

Yes, mods do work with the Steam version (AoDII was developed on a Steam version). The only diff between a digital version and the DVD version is instead of checking the disk, it checks with Steam.

13. Phobic

Phobic Chieftain

I installed only the terrain textures and the leader heads (i dunno what those change, really.)

just putting my two cents in.

14. ColdFever

ColdFever blue

The leaderheads received subtle changes in the color (less red&yellow) and the textures (aged). This way the leaderheads fit better to the Blue Marble's color scheme and the leaders look a bit more of their real age. Some older leaderheads received a higher resolution.

15. Phobic

Phobic Chieftain

oh that's cool!

you're a really talented guy, great work!

i must have installed it wrong, but the game interface is now the one you've made, but all the other backgrounds and such stayed the same. I must say, after playing it for a while I DO prefer your style. :D

16. ChrTh

ChrTh Mmm...tasty!

Why does it got to be about death? ;)

Seriously, think of it this way: colonists travelled to the new world on wooden boats, not metal ones. When they landed, they built houses out of wood. Sure, metal predominated their weapons, but wood predominated their lives. That's why I think it's a more contemporary option for the game.

EDIT: Agree the wood should look fresh (although rough-hewn), not old and museum quality.

17. rastak

rastak Chieftain

I like the wood look better myself, although the rest looks fantastic.

18. ColdFever

ColdFever blue

Ok - after all the feedback I really tried all day to create a wood look I would prefer over the Silver/Steel/Tin look. I tried all kinds of woods: bright woods, dark woods, colorful woods, less colorful woods, new woods, old woods, more or less maser - but so far not with convincing results. Being a musician, wood even is my favorite material in daily life - I really love its structure and warmth. But so far my texturing results for Colonization are not good enough:

Always when the wood itself looks great and realistic, it detracts from the game. But choosing a look that is less great and realistic appears not advantageous enough to me over the Firaxis solution. So currently I think that it should stay as it is: who prefers the look of wood can keep the Firaxis version, who prefers the look of Silver/Steel/Tin can use the current BM backgrounds. I always will release only what I like best, and so far I prefer the metal background with the unmodded wooden/paper elements of Firaxis on it. Please check yourself too - you can always uninstall the metal backgrounds with two simple clicks in the Blue Marble installer.

19. jet9313

jet9313 Chieftain

ok so what folder do i need to save this in?

20. ColdFever

ColdFever blue

Just extract the exe installer from the zip file into any directory and run it. The installer then will try to detect your CivCol installation and prompt you with comfortable installation and uninstallation options.