Guess the Map III: The Map Lover's Paradise

Status
Not open for further replies.
It has to do with a very specific group of the same item.

Also, none have been correct thus far.

Guns sent to another country by the USSR during WWII?

Could it perhaps be; Anti personel mines, rocket propelled grenades, torpedoes(very popular in the army, Belarus and Mongolia), combat boots, Soviet Army Choir "Best Russian Battle Hymns Balalaika Special Edition" 8track tapes, Geiger counters - 1986 "Tchernobyl Edition", Soviet Army nurses, Spetznas or the BTR-60 APC.

Sorry West India Man:mischief:, but pleeease. Give us a bit more meat to put on the bone here.

1. Something to do with the Soviet Army.
2. Something that the Soviet Union sold or provided
3. Very specific group of the same items...
4. On an individual level rather than on a national level...

Hmm...

Here's the map again...

At first I thought "Interkosmos cosmonauts!", but that's apparently not it, and a few countries didn't fit anyway (Egypt, Algeria, Spain).

Spain is the key here: whatever it is, the USSR seems to have been doing it since before the Second World War, when Spain was still a Republic (since it's hard to believe they would sell something to the Spanish State, or to the restored Kingdom of Spain) and continue to do it up until the 1980s (since Afghanistan is highlighted). What's a military-related product or service that the USSR sold continuously for over fifty years...? And whatever it is, it wasn't provided to China even during the brief period of Sino-Soviet friendship in the 1950s...

I got it. Military decorations. More specifically: Order of Lenins/Heroes of the Soviet Union. Explains the near-correlation with Interkosmos countries, since all of the cosmonauts were made Heroes of the Soviet Union, and they are rare exceptions of the distinction being awarded to non-Soviet citizens. I know an Egyptian president got one, and a few Spanish Civil War veterans too.

I thought one American had won the Order of Lenin when he went to fight for the Bolsheviks in the Russian Civil War?

This wasn't the guy I was thinking of, but the map cannot show recipients of the Order of Lenin, this guy won it and he was American.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gus_Hall

I think you are right, it is the Hero of the Soviet Union award. However, in my quick check of the list I didn't see anyone from India or Myanmar.

Countries that use some version of Mig planes?

Just a wild guess of course, not sure if the map really supports that, although India and Bulgaria do use Migs.
That wouldn't work for France. France has their native aircraft maker, Dassault. Spain, under Franco, wasn't friendly enough with the USSR to purchase MIGs. During the Civil War, Stalin was even more paranoid then usual about foreign countries discovering he was supporting the Anarchists and Communists so he sent them only old equipment. I doubt MIG fighters would have been among them.

Not to mention China, North Korea, Lybia, Iran, Iraq, Cambodia, and most of Africa would need to be coloured

It is probably the Hero of the Soviet Union, I had expected Mao or some Chinese cummunist to have recieved it before the 1960s or some Korean leaders.

Rakesh Sharma was Indian and Myamnmar isn't coloured.

1. Something to do with the Soviet Army.
2. Something that the Soviet Union sold or provided
3. Very specific group of the same items...
4. On an individual level rather than on a national level...

Hmm...

Here's the map again...

At first I thought "Interkosmos cosmonauts!", but that's apparently not it, and a few countries didn't fit anyway (Egypt, Algeria, Spain).

Spain is the key here: whatever it is, the USSR seems to have been doing it since before the Second World War, when Spain was still a Republic (since it's hard to believe they would sell something to the Spanish State, or to the restored Kingdom of Spain) and continue to do it up until the 1980s (since Afghanistan is highlighted). What's a military-related product or service that the USSR sold continuously for over fifty years...? And whatever it is, it wasn't provided to China even during the brief period of Sino-Soviet friendship in the 1950s...

I got it. Military decorations. More specifically: Order of Lenins/Heroes of the Soviet Union. Explains the near-correlation with Interkosmos countries, since all of the cosmonauts were made Heroes of the Soviet Union, and they are rare exceptions of the distinction being awarded to non-Soviet citizens. I know an Egyptian president got one, and a few Spanish Civil War veterans too.

Correct! :goodjob:

It's the nationalities of people who won the Hero of the Soviet Union.

I thought one American had won the Order of Lenin when he went to fight for the Bolsheviks in the Russian Civil War?

I'm not sure whether it was the Order of Lenin or Hero of the Soviet Union. I always get those two mixed up.

The Hero of the Soviet Union was introduced in 1934, so it was probably the Order of Lenin that he won.

The state on the Arabian Peninsula is Qatar, and the UK is actually just Scotland.

Nuclear power use?

Oh. True - I hadn't noticed Japan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom