H G Well's The War of the Worlds

Aha, but evilnerfherder actually posted the same thing plus instructions in a thread on the Jeff Wayne forums, where I believe he is a mod.

Its the same version, heh. It just doesnt like my PC for some reason, which is an annoyance as it seems to work ok for other people.

Ah well.

Ta for being kind enough to post the link tho - I'm going to try clearing the reg and reinstalling the game to see if that helps me any. As I say, I'm on a nostalgia kick while waiting for your "updated" version of this mod (with the newer martian models from recently).

Great work by the way, also v happy with the version of the story you went with.

Necrosis, thanks I have always been put off by the 'remaking' of WOTW and have always wanted to see it done right, in a Victorian era England. These modern renditions seem, odd, to me and do not capture the spirit of the book IMO. So I went ahead and did a period piece, although my version does not have the Martians croak in three weeks and if they get their s**t together, the humans 'may' have a chance to win. :D

As for the update, I am now leaning towards doing an entire facelift and not just adding Wyrm's excellent new versions. Use the skills I have learned in modmaking to redo my first ever civ three mod, The War of the Worlds. :)

:nuke: Þórgrímr :nuke:

Full remake of the modpack certainly sounds good, something I'd follow with great interest.

Mind you, I agree that not many people would enjoy a timed martian scenario would end automatically after 21 turns, haha.

Civ III is an interesting choice, if I was more au fait with Civ scenario building I would be sorely tempted to try the same type of scenario but in ToT - with Mars, Earth, and the underground New World being the candidates for the various "planes".

If you're redoing the whole thing, it seems like I'll be in for a good wait then *starts putting together retro machinery*....... definitely looking forward to it!

Edit - edited for clarity, I meant looking forward to a mod remake, not a film remake hahahah.

Full remake of the modpack certainly sounds good, something I'd follow with great interest.

Mind you, I agree that not many people would enjoy a timed martian scenario would end automatically after 21 turns, haha.

Civ III is an interesting choice, if I was more au fait with Civ scenario building I would be sorely tempted to try the same type of scenario but in ToT - with Mars, Earth, and the underground New World being the candidates for the various "planes".

If you're redoing the whole thing, it seems like I'll be in for a good wait then *starts putting together retro machinery*....... definitely looking forward to it!

Edit - edited for clarity, I meant looking forward to a mod remake, not a film remake hahahah.

Heck if I could get somebody to make units for ToT, that would be perfect. The ability to have like you said, Mars, Earth and the Brave New World would be outstanding. And if I could mod ToT, but alas, I can't. Never even tried. :cry: :D

According to Wells, Mars was dying and they needed to colonize earth for their species to survive. That and they needed humans as food animals.

To the Martians we were just the locals who had to be swept aside and corraled for the 'new' masters of Earth.

That's what I remembered too, but I couldn't remember whether it was something the characters said or something stated by Wells "outside" of the story. Cheers.

That's what I remembered too, but I couldn't remember whether it was something the characters said or something stated by Wells "outside" of the story. Cheers.

The portion on the cooling of Mars was in the opening narrative, and the food portion was speculated on by the Journalist and the Curate when they were buried by the landing of the fifth cylinder.:)

Here is the relevant portion from the opening narrative;

HG Wells wrote:
The secular cooling that must someday overtake our planet has already gone far indeed with our neighbour. Its physical condition is still largely a mystery, but we know now that even in its equatorial region the midday temperature barely approaches that of our coldest winter. Its air is much more attenuated than ours, its oceans have shrunk until they cover but a third of its surface, and as its slow seasons change huge snowcaps gather and melt about either pole and periodically inundate its temperate zones. That last stage of exhaustion, which to us is still incredibly remote, has become a present-day problem for the inhabitants of Mars. The immediate pressure of necessity has brightened their intellects, enlarged their powers, and hardened their hearts. And looking across space with instruments, and intelligences such as we have scarcely dreamed of, they see, at its nearest distance only 35,000,000 of miles sunward of them, a morning star of hope, our own warmer planet, green with vegetation and grey with water, with a cloudy atmosphere eloquent of fertility, with glimpses through its drifting cloud wisps of broad stretches of populous country and narrow, navy-crowded seas.

And we men, the creatures who inhabit this earth, must be to them at least as alien and lowly as are the monkeys and lemurs to us. The intellectual side of man already admits that life is an incessant struggle for existence, and it would seem that this too is the belief of the minds upon Mars. Their world is far gone in its cooling and this world is still crowded with life, but crowded only with what they regard as inferior animals. To carry warfare sunward is, indeed, their only escape from the destruction that, generation after generation, creeps upon them.

This is the relevant section about food from the Chapter What We Saw From the Window

HG Wells wrote:
Their undeniable preference for men as their source of nourishment is partly explained by the nature of the remains of the victims they had brought with them as provisions from Mars. These creatures, to judge from the shrivelled remains that have fallen into human hands, were bipeds with flimsy, silicious skeletons (almost like those of the silicious sponges) and feeble musculature, standing about six feet high and having round, erect heads, and large eyes in flinty sockets. Two or three of these seem to have been brought in each cylinder, and all were killed before earth was reached.

Man I love this book. :)

Þórgrímr

"looks like chicken, tastes like chicken"

On a related note, I've found that XP runs unmodified War of the Worlds with no real problems (other than no music, and it crashes when one tries to access the Screen Size options). I guess SP2 is good for something, haha.

I think I might take some time this weekend to look at how ToT is modified. If its something I can pick up, I'll give it a fair shot. Will keep me busy, if nothing else...

Absence means you miss out on all the mods your were keeping track off. :p

*Will need to get this as well... And a larger Hard-drive*

can some one help me out when the download box comes up i pressed open and then i dont see it downloading

can some one help me out when the download box comes up i pressed open and then i dont see it downloading

IIRC, if you press open it will try and open the file right there. Try pressing save as instead. :)

I do not know if it is rude of me to ask. But I was wondering where :confused: you got the adviser's. They look very cool and I want to DL them to use in another scenario I'm playing. Only I do not want to use the Mar's head, could you help me out?

I do not know if it is rude of me to ask. But I was wondering where :confused: you got the adviser's. They look very cool and I want to DL them to use in another scenario I'm playing. Only I do not want to use the Mar's head, could you help me out?

The tentacled Martian is from JW's Musical Version of WOTW. it was a xconcept sketch, the Cylons were from the original Battlestar Galactica. And no I do not mind you using them at all. The more the merrier. :D

As for helping out, I did not do the gfx, and still don't, So I can't help you there. Sorry about that.

:nuke: Cheers, Þórgrímr :nuke:

I went to the site where you download it, but i can't find the download. I would appreciate any help you could give me.

Thanx,
Meteor Man

Its in the thread called, strangely enough, ;) Mod Downloads. In post two along with the graphics goody pack. :)

:nuke: Cheers, Thorgrimm :nuke:

Hi there,

I'm having a little difficulty downloading this fantastic looking Mod; every time I try it quits at various random intervals leaving me with anything from a 19 to a 90mb file rather than the full amount. Now it might just be a problem with my connection, but I'm not having errors with downloads from any other sites. Has anyone else experienced similar difficulties? I must have tried all of twenty times now over several months and always end up empty handed.

Any advice anyone can offer would be gratefully received. :D

Hi there,

I'm having a little difficulty downloading this fantastic looking Mod; every time I try it quits at various random intervals leaving me with anything from a 19 to a 90mb file rather than the full amount. Now it might just be a problem with my connection, but I'm not having errors with downloads from any other sites. Has anyone else experienced similar difficulties? I must have tried all of twenty times now over several months and always end up empty handed.

Any advice anyone can offer would be gratefully received. :D

I have added a link to the DL Manager Get Right in the Mod DL post. It has been tested and works really well. It is also a free download. :)

I have added a link to the DL Manager Get Right in the Mod DL post. It has been tested and works really well. It is also a free download. :)

Thanks for that Thorgrimm, it seems to be working now: 80% DLed and counting at the minute which is higher than it ever got before. Can't wait to get a playin'.

Mucho gracias, Longus.

Thanks for that Thorgrimm, it seems to be working now: 80% DLed and counting at the minute which is higher than it ever got before. Can't wait to get a playin'.

Mucho gracias, Longus.

Glad to help my friend. I look forward to any comment you wish to make. :)

Top Bottom