Has the US government been this unstable in the past 40 years?

Estebonrober

Deity
Forty years...so...1978? Have to say no, not even close. If we go forty-five and get back to the interlude between Nixon's re-election and his resignation then maybe, but even then there was a sense of stability until there wasn't, and then it was pretty quickly over.

Forty years...so...1978? Have to say no, not even close. If we go forty-five and get back to the interlude between Nixon's re-election and his resignation then maybe, but even then there was a sense of stability until there wasn't, and then it was pretty quickly over.

Yea post Nixon. It feels like in my lifetime the US has never even been close to as unstable as it is right now.

That's a certainty. Like I said, I don't think it was even this bad at the absolute height of the Watergate fiasco.

This unstable? Probably not. Even when Nixon was drunkenly yelling at paintings Kissinger and Haig kept things largely under control.* Perhaps under Bubba, such as early on during the whole Travelgate and associated kerfuffles, or perhaps later on when he decided to bomb a Sudanese pharmaceutical plant to distract from getting a blow job from an intern.

*"Keeping things under control" does not imply I like either of them, though the Yom Kippur War was probably one of Kissinger's least war criminal phase.

I guess Mattis wants to stay in Syria, the war on terrorism is the new stability

I guess Mattis doesn't want the US to be seen as a country that hangs its allies out to dry on a whim...or at the request of an enemy. Funny how he seems to think taking on the entire world with no allies is something that we don't want to do.

playing the global cop is how we got the war on terror, Mattis is a veteran of that policy

Playing the global cop is how we burn oil at half the price and ten times the rate of any other people on the planet. Go walk in the cold if you don't like being a veteran of it.

Bet you wish you'd done that back in the day, eh?

Playing the global cop is how we burn oil at half the price and ten times the rate of any other people on the planet. Go walk in the cold if you don't like being a veteran of it.

Bet you wish you'd done that back in the day, eh?

You mean the rest of the world pays twice what we pay for a barrel of oil? Are they shelling out hundreds of billions a year for the military to play global cop too?

You mean the rest of the world pays twice what we pay for a barrel of oil? Are they shelling out hundreds of billions a year for the military to play global cop too?

Go buy gas in Europe for your DUI mobile.

For the US military, at least in some parts, certainly. The US has a huge clientele of arms buyers across the world.
And the ‘British’ nuclear capability is actually a bunch of US-made nuclear missiles operated by the British military but only with US authorisation/coöperation. It's more elegantly worded in official documents, but basically the Brits cannot actually fire unless the US government says so. And the UK pays the US a lot of money a year for the privilege. Which is one of the many reasons the US coöperated in the fear campaigns in Scotland's independence referendum in 2014, because that's where the nukes are.
Hence why the French developed their own nukular weapons and tested them somewhere in the Algerian Sahara, which everybody tries to forget about.

they have larger taxes on gas, how much do Europeans and Americans pay without any taxes?

How much do they pay on days the sun rises in the west? Why do you ask stupidly irrelevant questions about things that aren't happening? Is that how local government works in your part of the country? Is that how anything works anywhere?

When the U.S. armed forces are in upheaval, then yes, more unstable than ever. That's going banana republic.

How much do they pay on days the sun rises in the west? Why do you ask stupidly irrelevant questions about things that aren't happening? Is that how local government works in your part of the country? Is that how anything works anywhere?

I bow to the man with 4 brilliantly relevant questions... You said:

"Playing the global cop is how we burn oil at half the price and ten times the rate of any other people on the planet."

The different tax rates are why we pay half the price faced by many Europeans, not because we're the global cop. And there are countries that pay less without needing a trillion dollar military budget.

It is good knowing your taxes are going to socialized health care, and not to weapons.

Yea this wasn't a thread about the global cop role the US has found itself in since 45 or 89. This is about an administration that can't keep anything from utter turmoil. I mean you could try to make the case that the executive branch (being the branch that actually acts on what the other two branches create and decide) isn't in utter chaos, but I think you'd be hard pressed to make that case.

Btw, considering the complete debasement of the State Dept. we are in uncharted chaos territory in our global cop role too.

Top Bottom