Hegemon! Of the Classical Greek World!

Thanks for such a complex answer. I am aware of many of those points you mentioned but it is impossible for me to go through all big mods on this forum and change them but somehow other people can play and finish the big mods as I understood from post below.
You want to change big mods to make them load faster? I think trying to do that would ruin their game play dynamics.

By the way, I was playing n Hegemon several months ago and I thinks I stop from the same reasons.
You must have been playing a very early version of Hegemon. This version has had all that stuff I listed above implemented. So it loads a lot faster than earlier versions.

If the problems persist after your solutions, Ram, here's some troubleshooting and/or comments:

- Problem: The map is huge.
- Answer: More territory to explain, conquer and tax.

- Problem: There is no sea trade in Hegemon. That has been disabled and air trade functions instead.
- Answer: Hell yeah! No more pesky blockades! Downside: conquering shores in mainlands is a pain, no resources. Maybe a building requiring rivers would help, as river mouths would enable trade upwards. :)

- Problem: Communications trading, with those pop ups, also slows down turn times.
- Solution: I have delayed comms trading in Hegemon. Delayed not eliminated because you still need it.

- Problem: This means fewer settlers and thus a lower number of cities are built.
- Comment: This should be implemented as a basic measure for all CFC mods, the AI engages in 'send Settlers everywhere' early on. One good solution is to occupy any nearby isthmus or mountain pass and block it completely.

- Problem: Too many barbarians slow things down too.
- Answer: more training, Champions and especially the amphibious cops get extra HP for defending outposts. Also, Vuldakonista + Logchophoros + barbarian SOD: profit tribute.

- Problem: Mountains are impassible to the vast majority of units.
- Answer: They're impassable to the AI too, you know. Plant a few forests after building roads, and watch the enemy formations get mired there while you butcher them.

The trade routes are the biggest single factor I believe.

Also worth noting that, to the best of my knowledge (and I'm not really an expert), dual or quad cores are not utilised for processing in civ 3. Graphic card acceleration doesn't seem to do a huge amount to help either. So having a beast of a machine maybe won't speed things up as much as it might for newer software.

nice stuff going on here guys!

just to comment on an earlier post Ram:

I see no reason to include the horse transport for Athens. Anyone who desires a slightly stronger navy by upgrading the imperial triremes should be punished! haha. but seriously, it was never an issue in my games

A missive from strategos Τακχισις of the Athinaioi, dated 327 years before the coming of the one called Christos.

I hope that the messenger breaks through the lines of the Asian barbarians back to Londino, my good historian and mentor. For the enemy ships swarm everywhere, and they are a sight indeed.
Oh the calamity of war! Back when I was a tyrant I never dreamed, in my palace in the Acropolis, that once I'd see such horrors as this war has caused. But now I am wiser, and older, and have accepted to take care only of the military, while the people rule themselves. It is, in truth, the best system. Now I have sailed in person to the west, and supervise operations, for there's no better view of things as when one is up close.
Amphoras of wine lie in storage in our Asian ports, offerings to the gods are in the sanctuaries, hidden from the public. The laughter of children is heard no more, and the wailing of widows is a sound that seems to me to be as constant as that of the sea. Hermes must probably weep, for trade and exchange have been swept aside, for the less profitable -but more straightforward, and therefore more suitable for the simpler minds of barbarians- methods of warfare.
Of these latter people I've seen much recently. I suspect the Lydoi have a liking for throwing things, given that most of their troops are horse archers and javelineers on foot. Or, rather, whoever they pay to fight for them is, as they are Cimmerians, Persians, Assyrians, Scythians, and who knows what other peoples who wear trousers (made of animal skins, to boot!) there are out in the East. The only known barbarians not to have joined the Eastern despot are the Thracians, because of Phillip's timely actions in subduing them, and the Romans, because they're too busy sequestering women from the neighbouring cities and attacking our cousins to the West in Syrakousai and Tarās to pay proper attention to the Ægean, which is surely the centre of the world.
The pikes and lances of our footmen are good enough to hold the enemy away from the walls, but only just. The arrows of those horsemen can fly over city walls, and our people die in the conflict. Who will tell the women back home that their husbands have died, that their sons are maimed, all for the crazyness and gold-lust of an Eastern king?
The βαρβαροι (I'm sorry I have to even mention such a people, or to use such strong words, but this is whom we're dealing with, and you'll hear of them repeatedly) stalk our gates, and once even took New Hypaipa. At first it was a desperate, unequal struggle; now, however, things have a semblance of normality, for the troops that put down the rule of Eurypilos have begun arriving to the eastern shores of the Ægean. New Hypaipa was swiftly retaken, and we have obtained the alliance of Epeiros and Sparte, but the savage Ætolioi have decided to join the enemy, no doubt bribed by Lydian gold, which, added to their ancient hatred for us, should be enough for those northern sheep-herders to descend from their mountains; this, we fear, is a great threat, for our flank is weak, and our troops still not back to their fullest strength, after the attacks by the Eliatai. But the Ætolioi are also rash, and have agreed to attack the Epeirotai, and this should be enough to keep them busy. The latter may of course keep whatever they gain, it'd be better than the current administration.
Each new summer brings forth a new offensive, men die, bleeding and groaning, or lie on their positions, nursing their wounds. The planting of groves of trees in the peninsula proves to be a deciding factor in the fight. Even though it is more difficult for us to attack them when they're under arborial cover, they slow down, and this gives us time to organise our defenses.

Chalkidiké has declared war on the Epeirotai, our good allies, but without any prompting from the Lydoi. No overt prompting, at least. But now they've turned to the Chersonesioi for help, and the latter have agreed. Maybe this could be the opening for our forays into the Bosphorus, from where we need grain, to feed our ever-growing population. If only the cupidity of Croisos could be placated…

Missives have come from Athinai in good Attic handwriting, the Archons inform me with joy that the first Hoplites loyal to the League have come, and these, we hope, shall hold off the Ætolioi more effectively than other troops. But not all is good news. The people tire quickly of the war, now that they see they have a say in affairs, and this is why democracy is not so suitable in wartime. But this can be countered by easing their burdens, less taxes, more wine, more olives, and they enjoy life again! Also, giving them good things to do is better than letting them sit idle, or forcing them to train over and over.
This is why, I was overjoyed to hear that earlier this year the Spartans have agreed to help us a bronze column, shaped like three serpents, each coiling in on itself. A beautiful work of art, a good motivation to return to Athinai as soon as possible! I am told it will be completed sometime within the next thirteen years. Special troops may be trained there, gathered from the best of Sparte and Athinai, and may Palas Athina watch over them!

Please, send your reply to this by a different messenger. This one will probably not want to come back.

A hastily scribbled war dispatch arrives at a Londinian desk:
To my good friend Rambuchan the Historian: it has been concluded by wise men that our position in the Eastern shores is untenable. Our ships seem to us to be enough to hold all our troops and our amphoras of wine, and also the noncombatants, mayhaps even the women of our officials will fit, so we'll leave in the morning, under cover of the dawning brine. The buildings and the civilians in them we're sorry to leave behind, we know not whether it's best to hand them over to the Ionai or just disperse them and send them to the villages they used to live in until Greek civilisation came to them. The drawback to handing them over to the Ionai being, that we're not sure that these people know the difference between one Hellene nation and the other, and might attack the cities anyway.
Send your next reply to me, care of the governor of Samos. He will know where to send it to.
Τακχισις, Strategos of Athens, in the East.​

A new missive, in a far better state of repair, arrives at Londino in good time for boiled water with herbs in it, as is the custom in those northern climates.

Scrolls of parchment are a hard find in these days, but a young man from the army has painted this upon the accompanying amphora (you should try the wine, it's excellent, like most Athenian and, therefore, Greek products):
Spoiler :

We said farewell to our fair cities and left them to the care of our kindred folk, the Ionai.

Reports reach us in advance that a further half a dozen detachments of Hypaspysts are coming south from the Hexapolis. The Nine-Ways Garrison's three recruitment centres combine the hardiness of the men of the north with the martial skill of the Hellenes, and this is good.

Our spies confirm that korynthos has been bribed by Lydian coin to attack the Spartiatai. Poor fellows, turning on the Greeks. Still, this might prove to our advantage, for control of Corinth, we admit, has always been a cornerstone of our policy, and the Korynthioi are rash enough to attack our allies. Maybe the twin ports of the isthmus can finally be ours. The Lydian treasuries must be nearly bottomless, for the Thettaloi have been bought into attacking our fair cities as well.
A hard time it is, when Hellenes turn on each other. The semi-barbaric Thettaloi (what can one expect of Æolian peoples but that they be as fickle as the winds whose name they carry?) have convicned the Messeniaoi to turn on us, as well as on the Epeirotai. Euboea and Aiolia have also declared war on the Epeirotai. It must be this new form of diplomacy the Ludoi have brought over from the crafty East, learned at the courts of the Pharaohs in Egypt, or perhaps in far away Ecbatana, Susa and Persepolis, the cities of the Persians.
Yet backstabbing seems not to be exclusive to the Hellenes, but also to the others they know. The Thrakai of Chersonesos have turned on their kindred to the East, and this is a great trouble.

We have attempted to send spies into Laconia and Boeotia, but they were caught. Others, however, have sneaked into the Royal Palace at Tyrins, and their reports are most favourable!

Our citizens are discontent, -from this, my fellow strategoi report, it is guessed that the peasants are, too- and we think that it is from the ignominious retreat in the East, as well as the sightings of Thettaloi on horseback all around the Hexapolis. Tsk, tsk. Horses? On Greek streets and roads? We will have to clear away the manure, the horses and their riders have already been cleared away, and save for one single, lone Toxotes up in the mountains, all seems well up north -not so in the East. The Hexapolis continues to pay Taxation, and it looks like whoever had the idea of building bathhouses was some sort of a genius (very probably a Greek, therefore); people do not mind the war so much after they've engaged in good, pleasant activities. I myself am dictating this to my scribe right now, while drying myself from the baths. You should build one, I am told there is a town with such a name in your faraway island. What a place it must be!

I have asked my scribe to add this to the report, we have told the Chalkideis to keep off our waters and they have refused, so we are at war. May the blessings of Athina be upon you, and may Æolos hold all good winds to blow in your favour.​

Started a game as Thrake. Here's what I've got:

-Thracians could be given a flavour worker? In fact, the only flavour worker seems to be the Agrothes unique unit... Was there a reason for this?

-The "Raider" barbarian will never be seen in-game, because some genius of coding decided that no modder would ever have use for the enslave ability to function with barbarian-controlled units.

-'Pedia says Tribalism places a Tribal Altar in every city - it places a Tribal Council instead. Still hella useful.

-In the world sizes tab, the optimal number of cities for corruption and the tech rate are at the default values. This is bad, as it sets it to whichever was the last randomly-generated map you played. I was wondering why corruption was so bad even after I had tribal camps in all my cities, and it's because the last map I played was a small map! I'd suggest copying across the values from either "Large" or "Huge" for each size.

I quit the game because of that last one - even with the Tribal Council improvement, my cities were already starting to feel the pain and I hadn't even got out of my peninsular yet!

EDIT: And it'd also help with the Reduces Corruption wonder flag, as you'd know that the amount of cities you need would consistently be half of whichever value you chose ;)

A parchment in even better state arrives at the offices of one Rambuchan of London, accompanied by four men dragging an amphora.
Interesting news, my good friend! I have sailed north to Lesbos, while other troops sailed in quickly from the Hexapolis and taken the isle of Tenedos. These Hoplites the Lydoi field, they are not true citizen soldiers, but mercenaries from across the Ægean, lured by Eastern promises of treasure. They're weaker than our own Hoplites, or than the more modern Thorakites, and this shows. The young artist I told you before has captured a perspective of the landscape, we're not sure how he does it, he calls it «φωτογραφία», I'm sending it to you on painted on an amphora instead of this parchment to save space, and also because, to celebrate, we are having red wine to accompany, the bread, olives, and garlic we're having in the officers' tent right now:
Spoiler :
It's good, eh? Not as good as traditional black-figure painting, or the more modern -and more Athenian- red-figure painting, but he's young.
The Lydoi are heading with a fleet towards the Kyklades, an Imperial Trireme is following them with adequate complements of infantry and cavalry, half their fleet has already been sunk by the Proxenoi coming from Amorgós. If the βάρβαροι ever should land, the garrisons at Naxos and Delos should be backed up well enough by our troops presently at the harbour in Ikaria.

A report has reached us that the Thettaloi have been convinced to attack us, as you already know, they were destroyed in a battle near Mount Vertiskos recently, but other of their kind are streaming across Boeotia and are pressing at the gates of Dekelea. Soon enough the best hoplites from the League will garrison that city, Eleutherai and Brauron are already covered.
Some of those people have been reported as landing on Euboia, near Eleusis, but their so-called 'champion' fell when attacked by a Gymnitos. What kind of a people are they, that a fully armoured man with a decent sword can be defeated by a single, shieldless man wearing nothing but a petasos and a cloak?

Phillip has agreed to declare war on Croisos if we sent him a few philosophers to explain to him about 'Unity', we suspect his intentions but cannot do anything at the moment.

The gutless Lydoi haven't dared face the Ionai even though they'd cut them to pieces without much trouble. Mind you, the Ionai have engaged in trade embargoes against us, which is even worse than war, because even in war you can trade something on the side, while an embargo is a war on trade itself, so we won't defend our treacherous kin if it ever happens. The treachery must come from living in the East, it's the only explanation I can find for it.

Last but not least, I hear, my good friend, that it is something of a fashion to declare war on Pyrrhos. The man has some strange idea about getting war elephants (from where, one might inquire) and crossing over the sea to Greater Hellas. This has evidently convinced everyone that he ought to be put down. I do not expect him to last much, but monarchies are such are bad. Sparte is the worst of all, they have not one, but two kings instead.

I depart in a hurry as the clarion sounds again,
Τακχίσις, strategos of Athinai and acting governor of Lesbos.​
OOC: I hope to conquer the rest of Lesbos before long, the Lydoi AI really sucks at transporting troops by sea. By land they crush anything by sheer numbers at this point. Last time I checked, Tribute was at about 45-38 (thousands). I haven't counted after the last few battles.

A war over the Corinthian Gulf is looming, Sparte's attacking both them and Mykenai. I hope I get to the isthmus in time.

New scroll bearing the seal of the Athenian government:
A Pikeman is, like the description says, a man with a pike. If it's a Persian, it's a man with a pike, and a big rectangular wickerwork shield. Laughable. One division of each was stationed at Nea Keramon and Nea Tripolis, on Lesbos.
Poseidon must really smile upon our honouring his great temple at Piraios, for our fleets continue to be the fastest -though this might be due to Æolos as well, and whenever the Lydoi have to cross the sea, their courage is sapped and their strength vanishes. I've spearheaded the attack myself, after due sacrifices to Athina and Poseidon were held, which greatly emboldened our troops, and this has proved to be a great move, as their courage was great and they carried all before them.
A painted map on limed calfskin, made in the same way as is done in Pergamon -hence their name in our tongue, περγαμηνή- is included:
Spoiler :
I have spent a whole week in the local festivities after the liberation of the city of Nea Tripolis. An interacalary month had been added beforehand, which gives us more time to celebrate, and to rest our wounds, and also to adjust the calendar to next year's solstice, the farmers keep complaining about that.
The Lesbians are a friendly, cheerful people, open-minded, and there are good signs that they could welcome Hellenic ideals which, in my opinion, are the best there are. They already grow olives and wine, use olive oil to cook, and they have some especially succulent dishes (recipes included in a separate parchment, it's the one with the oil stain on one end), and play music similar to ours. Æolian they may be, but they're still Greeks of a kind. It's almost like home.

But I digress. An urgent dispatch arrived from Samos, shortly after, with news: the city of Thorai had been taken by Lydian raiders, and also that they had sailed up the Ionian coast without any interference from our kin. Thus our helpfulness is paid.
This was my reaction, according to those who were with me in the tent:
I say it's not a good likeness, but the expression on the face is very believable.
Regardless, the troops in Chios sailed down and crushed the Lydoi there, welcomed with open arms by our people, true Hellenes from the time Athenian colonists first settled there.
Spoiler :
This goes to show, that Phillip's idea of heavy cavalry is something workable, if you can get the horses to climb into a boat, that is.

In a way, it is good that there were so many wounded and we couldn't set sail immediately, for we would have missed the Lesbian festival.

The delay was good also in another way, for the news of such a thing as a city of the Delian League falling turned the minds of the populace of Nea Anaua around and they were convinced by the pro-Lydian faction to rise against democracy in the name of a decadent King. We set sail as soon as we heard and the rebellion was put down. We plan to evict all of those people and resettle the place with settlers from Chios or Ikaria. A new name would be in order, to erase the memory of such a vile sovereign.

After that, pressed by a loudly spoken popular mandate for peace, I have tried to conclude a peace settlement with the Lydian King. The poor man is a Persian stooge by now, and doesn't have the comfort of being voted democratically by all the citizens of a free city, but he doesn't have their pressures either. Yet Sparte is closer to our lands now that they have taken Mykenai, and so is Phillip's kingdom. What would happen if we betrayed their alliance? Therefore, the public treasuries shall be opened, and special treats for our people will be acquired, until such time can be reached when Phillip and the Spartiatai will not be offended by our withdrawal -they'll probably withdraw themselves at some point.
At least, peace treaties have been concluded with Ætolia, Thessalia and Mykenai. The people are less troubled now that the only enemies are non-Greeks. Still, the shock of what happened in Nea Anaua and especially the fall of Thorai weigh heavily on their minds. May Athena help us…

Another sovereign, Tereios, has been killed in battle and his kingdom is no more. The Makedonai and Chersonesioi have defeated him. The less kings the better, but only as long as a fallen king's lands do not go to another king.

And before I go, I must tell you that my fellow Strategoi have sent me a copy of the architects' reports, they say that in two years they will have completed the Serpent Column that commemorates our alliance with the Spartiatai. I have suggested that special wine should be set to age, mixed with a little juice from lemons and oranges -for libations- and olive oil stored; with spices, and shrimps and kalamaris fished and gathered early next year -for the sacrificial feasts to Poseidon, Æolos and of course Athina, of course, except the kalamaris which I find to be rather to my taste, dipped in breadcrumbs and fried with garlic. The reply to my suggestion arrived yesterday, it says that the Assembly cheered so loudly that it could be heard all the way down to the harbour of Piraios.

May the blessings of Poseidon help you in your journey.

-Τακχίσις, strategos of Athinai.​
I'm about 10k tribute ahead, and somewhere near 50 thousand. The Taxation, Libations and Temple Offerings should come. The war weariness is a real female-dog.

Alternative history in the making. I won this game in 422 bc (domination), was not even in 3rd era yet. And since the same can be done with Macedon (would be a lot easier, ofc) I have no idea what is the point of their imperialism government, which they can get only after pressing `let me play more turns' after game is already over.

Attachments

• WQEQRT.jpg
    WQEQRT.jpg
    342.3 KB · Views: 212
It's been a busy week, so I haven't had time to respond. But I appreciate the posts and will get back to them in due course.

In the meantime, I spotted this in yesterday's news...

Bulgarian archaeologists find golden treasures in ancient Thracian tomb

Tiara, snake-head bracelets and gold buttons among artefacts from Getae burial site near northern village of Sveshtari

Reuters in Sofia
guardian.co.uk, Thursday 8 November 2012 17.49 GMT

Bulgarian archaeologists have discovered bracelets with snake heads, a tiara with animal motifs and a horse-head piece in a hoard of ancient golden artefacts unearthed during excavations at a Thracian tomb in the north of country.

The artefacts have been dated to the end of the fourth or the beginning of the third century BC. They were found in the biggest of 150 ancient tombs of the Getae people, a Thracian tribe that was in contact with the Hellenistic world. The hoard also yielded a golden ring, 44 female figure depictions and 100 golden buttons.

"These are amazing findings from the apogee of the rule of the Getae," said Diana Gergova, head of the archaeologist team and a researcher of Thracian culture with the Sofia-based National Archaeology Institute. "From what we see up to now, the tomb may be linked with the first known Getic ruler, Cothelas."

The site is at the ancient Getic burial complex near the village of Sveshtari, about 250 miles north-east of Sofia. One of the tombs there, the Tomb of Sveshtari, is included in the Unesco world heritage list for its unique architectural decor showing half-human, half-plant female figures and painted murals.

The Thracians, ruled by a powerful warrior aristocracy wealthy for their gold treasures, inhabited an area extending over modern Romania and Bulgaria, northern Greece and the European part of Turkey from 4000BC.

They lived on the fringes of the Greek and Roman civilisations, often intermingling and clashing with the more advanced cultures until they were absorbed, in about the year 45, into the Roman empire. Archaeologists have discovered a large number of artefacts in Bulgaria's Thracian tombs in recent decades, providing most of what is known of their culture as they had no written language and left no enduring records.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/nov/08/bulgarian-archaeologists-golden-treasures-thracian
Beautiful golden horse head artefact example may be seen by clicking the link. This kind of stuff is what the Ionian colony wonders are all about.

I hope I'm not swamping you, Ram.
Great news! We have completed construction of the monumental Serpent Column. But of course you know that, as we met in the festival recently.
Also, Epicurus having built his garden in Chalkis means that people live oonger. It is indeed true, that people live longer if they live better.

You told me while you were here (didn't you like the kalamaris?) that the wooden shin guards worn by Siege Archer crews makes them rather clumsy. They are also purposeless, for they protect not against the javelins of our citizen athletes. What kind of men are the Persians (we hear that Cyrus is now a King of Kings, and he probably is Croisos' King) that their soldiers can shoot arrows while hiding behind shields, and still be defeated by men wearing nothing but a chlamys and a petasos? It's possible that the Greeks are better, which we do not deny.

I returned to Lesbos in good time -albeit with a slight indigestion from a surfeit of kalamaris and wine- to see how the Lydoi sailed again to Lesbos, we let the ungrateful Anaioi to them (our garrison had withdrawn earlier, on my instructions), and 56 talents in unpaid taxes have gone missing. We swiftly retook the city -sinking the Lydian fleet that had taken refuge there- and then resettled slightly to the north, at a place called Antissa. It's a very agreeable place, and a better naval base in my opinion, closer to Thassos, and with a wider harbour, making a better chain with the port of Gergunthes than the old one. The population is mixed, half Greek, half Asian. But they speak Greek, which is good, and mostly Attic Greek, which is even better. From the top of the nearby hill we can see two things: that the detestable mercenaries guard the mainland port of Maronea, the gateway to Troia herself, should we ever need to conquer it, and that there are grapes in abundance. First of all we are setting up a vineyard, for without good wine, life is almost impossible. Then we will build an altar to the Gods, to thank them for the wine, and establish a Trade Port with their blessing.

Dispatches arrive from Athinai, the fair city, that Leonidas wants the alliance against the Lydoi to be dissolved. We are in agreement with the other strategoi over this, perhaps we should join against the Korynthioi, but in the meanwhile we'll extricate ourselves from the diplomatic web of alliances and embargoes the Lydoi have forced us into.

The Phokæis and the Thettaloi are at war with each other. Serves them right, Æolians are not to be trusted.

Those cuttings from that 'newspapyrus' that you receive in Londino include beautiful imagery. It is good that the people on your island come out and see the world. The Thracians have obviously learned such techniques from us, it must be said. But it is a pity that Tereios was killed, for the Chersonesioi who now usurp his territory are but slaves to Phillip.

Almost completely recuperated from the indigestion,
Τακχίσις, strategos of Athinai​
Stupid Guardian, they allow comments on fashion notes but not on that. So I've included it here.

One thing: a quick dash for Maronea and Troy would leave the Grain Tax from the Hellespont, along the Dardanian coast, wide for the taking. Attacking Chersonessos would be a suicide move, as those wimps are really a Macedonian protectorate by now.

Ram - if you're interested then check out the mini map on the screenshot below. The Macedonians have run riot against the Thracians.

Hail from the front lines of the fight against Lydia, where total victory is imminent.

Asia Minor quakes under the sandals of our forces as the last remnants of the old order are swept aside. A woodcarving of the fall of the last stronghold is enclosed with this missive. Truly the Aiolian hegemony over Asia Minor is assured - none may stand against us. I repeat my call for settlers to populate these newly vacated lands.

The court philosopher made an interesting suggestion on his arrival in the east - his view is that not only should we prove our dominance over the Hellenes through acts of worship to the Gods and clearing Asia Minor of the influence of other powers, what we should also do is to colonise the world until we control a certain proportion of the Hellenic population and a certain proportion of the available land. In this way we can both prove our pre-eminence among the Greeks but also provide a sufficiently threatening target as to dissuade the Persians form mounting any sort of invasion of our territory.

Your majesties have also called for the civilising of our rivals in Krete, and I am delighted to report that a flotilla has been dispatched to take care of this instruction. If Minos chooses to resist then his forces are not expected to last long in the face of our total superiority.

Further strategic targets are welcome, your wills control my actions.

In triumph.

Arditrator Keronius.

Attachments

• Lydia.jpg
    Lydia.jpg
    505.5 KB · Views: 158
A new scroll, accompanied by an amphora of strong-flavoured and -scented red wine, and one of extra virgin olive oil:
This I write from the shores of Imbros, recently of allegiance to the Chalkideis, then occupied by the Lydoi, now liberated by the Delian League.
Spoiler :
The inhabitants are neutral towards us, the old wars with the Chalkideis are far enough in time that they don't hold it against us.
Their peacefulness makes it easier for us to mount raids, as we don't have to fear riots and rebellions from the populace, and some peace of mind is restored. They also have a great variety of fish and salts to season them with, which also helps with the peace of mind.

Chalkidiké and Sparte have made peace with Lydia. Our own followed shortly.
Of coruse, we took one last city, to make things even with the Eastern barbarians (again, I must apologise for the continued mentioning of such people who don't bathe, engage in naked wrestling or have other habits that are the hallmark of Greek civilisation, but one is forced to by the very nature of one's office). It was thought appropriate, that since the Lydoi forced us to lose control of three cities, and also occupied another, that they should lose one city for every one of ours, and an extra as punitory interest. It
is a pity of course that Troia remains in barbarian hands, but it is too strong a fortress for us to conquer.
Spoiler :
We will see how Maronea holds out -at worst we'll have to resettle it like Lesbos was.

Croisos himself sent envoys to ask for peace between his people and ours, we turned them down because it was felt that it'd create a bad precedent to sign a peace while our troops are attacking a city. After the battle was over, we did make a peace. A festival would be in order over this. Certainly the people would appreciate an end to the bloodshed, and the citizenry too.
Phillip is cautious towards us, possibly as a result of this. But we did announce to him that we were leaving the alliance, so no harm done.

I shall shortly depart back for Athens, to, hopefully, rest for some time.

Enjoy the wine!
your friend Τακχίσις, Strategos of Athinai.​
11 Islanders, 2 Saltpetre, 3 Delian tribute, 5 Marble is the list of resources available to the city of Aphyas. Sometimes you love the resource bug, I can build a temple without doing the trade port.

Tribute count: 56374 to 42611. Wahoo!

I write to tell you of the Athenians having gathered enough Tribute, that the Gods, in their reckoning according to their wisdom, have proclaimed us to be the mighties and finest of the Greeks, two hundred and ninety-five years before the day when the Jews say that the one called Christos will be born. The gods are indeed wise, for they see what is evident, as we're the richest, and with a powerfuly navy, the best wine, the best olive oil, the best bread, and the best spears. Also the best women, but that's not as important as the rest (and the goddesses might be jealous, for they are women too). You must come to the festivities, they will last long enough for this message to reach you in time for you to come and sample some of the succulent dishes and delightful wines we are enjoying. In deference to your customs, I have taken the liberty of seizing the cargo of some merchants from the sea to the north, the hospitable sea (Εὔξεινος Πόντος), it contains quite a quantity of a drink made of fermented barley, we think they call it 'beer'. Is it drunk chilled or warmed?

Here is the tale of the last things before the ending of the contest of the Gods:
It was three years since the great Eastern war was ended, and how did it start? by the Ionai. Again. Surely an Ionian people cannot be this daft, they're Greeks after all. But it appears that Greeks
can be stupid, and this also applies to the Ionian tribes. Another explanation I cannot find. The Ionai of Ephesos and Miletos had chosen war against Lydia, instigated perhaps by wiles from Western cities, jealous of our influence and culture. As further proof of the previously unheard-of cases of foolishness among Greeks, the Ionai also chopped down some of the forests that held off the Lydoi's Cimmerian, Scythian and other cavalry. The Karieis were joining them as well, but imprudence is to be expected of barbarians. The good thing was, the trade embargoes imposed by Croisos against us were falling, which is good, as trade is better -and more profitable, which really is the same- than war.

We are said to have as powerful an army as Phillip, although I think the measurements are wrong, probably done by someone of non-Greek ascendancy. For Phillip's armies are unstoppable, as proved by his defeat of Tereios, while our fleets are amongst the best, helped by the shipyards at Athens, Samos and Halai Aixonides.

The Spartiatai, while powerful, requested for the help of our wise men in… 'modernising' their so-called intellects. Surely, if they think that Kings are so good they should have more than one, double the rulers, double the success? Those people can't even apply the logical sciences to simple processes of thought. And to think that
they are closer to the intellectual centres of Megale Hellas than we are, it makes our philosophers cry, and rend their beards (but not their clothing, for cloth is expensive these days, with all the seized cargoes of good cloth). The list of ignored knowledge, to wit:
  • Hard Iron (they just use bronze swords and axes to beat each other over the head, and long pointed sticks in crude phalanxes)
  • Education (they obviously have none, seeing what our ambassadors there reported was served as 'food')
  • Oligarchy (a form of government employed by the Boeotians and other Æolian peoples, not as good as our own, but at least it has no Kings)
  • Drama Theory (one of the greatest achievements, I'd think, and comedy's not far behind -I'm going tomorrow to see a new play called 'The Frogs', and I'm told Euripides won't be happy)
  • Democracy (which is obvious, as they have kings)

The lack of Education was so notorious, that the champions of Sparte attacked amphoras of wine, spilling it on the streets, instead of going after the men (the women are not worth it in Corinth, I'm afraid. I went there once when I was younger): they also attacked the offerings left out for the gods. This was not auspicious for them.
Korinthos eventually fell, as can only be expected, but what good is it to conquer a strategic port connecting and dominating two seas which is also the gateway to both Attica and Boeotia, if there is no wine or olive oil to use in the celebrations? Thus it was proved, that the Doric tribes are the less well endowed of the Hellenes, both in the mind and in the palate.
That same year, Priamos was ousted from his apanage in the Straits, and the Troes and Dardanians are no more. The Walls of Troy stand as a testimony to Priamos' former glory, with Toria now an outpost and harbour of Lydian power.

I've heard of Pyrrhos recently, he's no longer king of Epeiros, but he survived and now rules a small island to the south of Crete. I suppose it could be worse for him, Periander and Tereios lost both life and country, Pyrrhos might just strike lucky and get those elephants he used to go on about. He's wisely made peace with the Kretai, and might just live out the remainder of his life in comparative solace, a kingdomless king, wandering around the shores of his little island with a lyre and an amphora, -whichever one is the best companion of a poet, it is yet to be determined-, and settling the occasional disputes of shepherds and fishermen. A sad life indeed, the proud man will not be admitted into Athens as we're done with kings, Phillip, Tereios, Annikas, Croisos, all bad examples of monarchies. Good examples, but of bad things.

Phillip and his Chersonessian vassals made peace with the Lydoi together, that was a good moment. Phillip must be choking with rage by now, how could he win the Contst if he's not even a full Hellene?

Even far Kerkyra attacks the Lydoi. Yet they stand. Barbarians though they are, their resolve and courage must be respected -or, at least, as close to respected as barbarians can be. The retook New Hypaipa easily, and the Ionai are as good as dead.

The Eliatai tried to claim mastery over the Olympic Games, as if it were any of their concern. They aren't good sportsmen anyway, even with armour they could not fight our Gymnitoi.
The Ionai tried to establish two new colonies -Phasis and Pantikapaion. Maybe they'll succeed and claim independence, as the scum of Miletos and Ephesos deserves. Who knows what the future can bring?

After the last war was finished I did not stand for reelection as Strategos, needing time to stretch my legs, and also to tend to my family.

I now sit down with my scribe and an amphora of good wine from Chios, to write my memories, that future rulers may rule well, and profitably. My wife complains that it is late, but why should a woman rule the life of a man?
Τακχισις, scholar and citizen of Athinai.​
Final tribute: 60285 to 47148.

Shouldn't the Treasury produce Taxation instead of Temple Offerings?

The Gymnitos is not to be underestimated. There's craptons of them, they can actually take down Champions by sheer force of numbers, and they can dispatch most of the early attackers the AI hurls at you.

The multiplicity of the Pangaion Mines, the Nine Ways Garrisons and the Episkopoi Lodges can be dangerous. I did not expand westward, but I did think of conquerig Corinth early on and building shipyards all over Ambrakia, four or even more shipyards there would give me a fleet that can only be described in the words of Jürgen von Strangle: Doomungous. The Proxenoi Lodge can be doubled, and I think there could be more than one shipyard on Samos if he cities are placed right.

The answer to having neither Imperial Triremes nor Horse Transports is the following: Klerouchos. There's at least two you'll have if you control Euboea. How do you move a Hippeis out? Otherwise they're useless.

On the same day as I ended the Thrake campaign, I made the necessary changes, and decided to make a go of it with the Dodekanese. Here's what I got so far...

One of my Minoan galleys got attacked by a hidden nationality pirate about a dozen turns into the game. This triggered the mighty Golden Age of Dodekanesa... Which also coincided with perhaps the lowest point thus far in Dodekanesan history. Seriously, whichever pundit declared it (probably some neuvo-riche merchant or something equally as barbaric) was obviously not looking at it from the point of view of the whole of the Dodekanese, at this point otherwise limited to the island of Rhodes.

Soon enough I became engaged in conflict with Aetolia, Illyria and Thrake over refusal of demands. All three were far too far out of the way to cause me any real harm at this point (Illyria hadn't even a coastal city!). At one point Aetolia begged for peace for the price of 200 of my own talents! but I scoffed. Historians do not have much note of quite when this was, although the consensus is that we were still living in the dark ages.

At some point, we managed to build the Temple of Poseidon in the city of Samos on Rhodes! (Samos, my second city, is also my powerhouse and remains so even at present). This city was also home previously to the Dorian Hexapolis, so that's an extra +3 movement my ships get (plus of course the +1 seafaring bonus). Things are looking up for Dodekanesa! (And we are reminded once again of that one ancient pundit who declared one measly naval victory as the start of a golden age!)

At this point in time, Argos was looking to be my strongest ally, with Athens not far behind. Nowadays, though, I'd say that both have taken back seats, and my closer allies are more along the lines of Sparta, Makedonia and even the once hostile Illyria!

506 BC: We have started to record chronological events in Rhodos. Also we have recently entered the classical era and we declare a revolution! The island of Samos is now completely colonised, and forms the Northern perimeter of our empire for many generations to come. On this turn, both Trake and Illyria sued for peace under acceptable turns.

505BC: REVOLUTION! One problem - Diarchy is better than Monarchy in every conceivable way! Since I don't even have any improvements/wonders attached to Monarchy, why would I ever choose the latter? Naturally, I choose the former.

Spoiler OOC :
(Suggestion: Add in a couple of flavour techs on the tech tree. Make "Diarchy" a Spartan-only tech. If you're worried about some civs geting flavour techs whilst others not upsetting the balance, do what Anno Domini does: give all the civs without unique techs a generic alternative to research)

498BC: King Thoas of Aetolia comes begging for forgiveness for the price of 40 of my talents (will this guy not learn?) I offer to give him peace and one of my abundant "islanders" resources for 194 of his Talents and 13 Talents a turn, as well as those "useless" Epirote and Curetes resources.

Spoiler OOC :
I would count this islander trading an exploit if it wasn't for the fact that the Dodekanese apparently need every bit of help they can get (I didn't drop the difficulty level).

At this point I realised that I was promised that the soundtrack wouldn't be funky. That "Xenomorph" song says otherwise! Which, of course, is a good thing ;)

Error: The pedia for both Palisades and Walls says that they lose their bonuses when the population grows above size 6. They don't - neither of them have any bombard defense, which is what triggers the town restriction. Also, walls are available at Masonry but can't be built until later in the tech tree...

435 BC: Dodekanesia declares war on the Kyklades! Reports from Rhodes suggest it was to gain better access to their Peloponnesian allies, and that the Delian Idols are an afront to the Gods! (And further that they'd look great decorating the sanctuary of Kos...)

The invasion started with a simultaneous amphibious invasion of the cities of Delos and Naxos (both on Naxos island). Naxos (their capital) fell in the first turn, but Delos (where their idols are housed) survived one turn. The counter-attack in Naxos was laughable.
Spoiler :

The next year, of course, Delos fell, as did the city of Syphnos on a neighboring island.

431 BC: Captured Melos. Only Thera stands between us and complete victory!

430 BC: Amphibious operation captured Thera; the whole of the Kykladitai are now subserviant to us!

421 BC: The horrors! An unnoticed Ithakan landing declares war and overruns the lone Gymnitos in Thera City! They were obviously jealous of our magnificant Doric heritage!

420 BC: Fortunately, just outside of Thera City was the remnants of the very same invasion force I took it with! My 3 Toxotis cleanly routed this "invasion" force. Next stop: Ithake!

419 BC: Well, I say next stop Ithake, but Mycenae had several cities in the way in the sea, and a quick diplomat check proves that they're so poorly defended that it would be an insult to the Gods to leave them in such an unguarded state. I declare war on Mycenae! There time has long-since passed...

The Capture of Aigion was tougher than it looked: The casualties were 2:2. However, I brought more than two Toxotis, and thus thir skirmishers were nothing!
Spoiler :

417 BC: The invasion of Iolkos was carried out by my victorious Theran troops. We slayed two of their Javelinmen, losing none of our personnel!
Spoiler :

The invasion of Helike was undertaken by some new recruits. Unfortunately, the first who invaded got a bit ahead of themselves; they were slain. But it was subsequently captured by the rest of the brigade - and thus the Mycenaean Myrtoan Islands were no more!

416 BC: Two Dodekanesan Galleys - filled to the brim with 4 Toxotis each - sail past Pylos, the Mycenaean port on the Peloponnesos. They eschew the short-term fame of conquering the city and instead continue on their journey towards Ithake, true stoics!

Spoiler :

413 BC: A stray Ithakan Galley is spotted and eleminated. Not far to go now for the first part of my invasion fleet! I also sue Mykenai for peace, as I have now achieved my war goals and it makes no sense to keep on at it.

In between the turns, Ithake begged for peace. What a hilarious sentiment! I now get my eunuchs to act out the pleadings of the diplomat for entertainment!

411 BC: The Barbaric Lydians demand my Territory Map from me! The horror! I concede for two reasons: One, because the Lydioi are absolutely smashing Phrygia at the moment (whom I have never met), but still, two, because I was under the impression that my Territory Map was worthless nonetheless...

410 BC: The great day is here! 8 of my Toxotis to invade Ithake, with more on the way in need be!
Spoiler :

The initial onslaught: 6:2, my favour. Though it was not enough to defeat them with my reinforcements coming, they don't stand a chance!

409 BC: 4 Toxotis defeated, two remain at the battleground; two more Galleys coming up.

408 BC: I send the remaining two Toxotis to heal outside the friendly Theivaioi city of Delion. Reinforcements ready to deploy in one year - I can almost taste the victory!

407 BC: The Fates are truely on our side today, as we've captured Ithake. No fatalities! With it, the legacy of the Odyssey becomes our legacy!
Spoiler :

Spoiler OOC :
Unlike most island capitals, Ithake doesn't have an Islanders resource - is this intentional?

406 BC: Some curious news abounds: The previously placid (if annoyingly spread) Chalkidike have declared war on the Thrakians! Though I admire my fellow Hellenes' anti-Barbaroi pluck, I can't seem to stop feeling that I could benefit from this in a most unintended way on their part...

403 BC: Hellll yeah!
Spoiler :

401 BC: Thessaly, Athens and Aiola join in with the war against Thrake...

Top Bottom