Hidden Agenda Speculation

qadams

Bohemian
Hidden Agendas:
- Air Power - Tries to build up air power. Admires civilizations with greater air power. Dislikes civilizations with weaker air power.
- Paranoid - Likes civilizations who pose no threat. Dislikes civilizations with strong militaries or ones with nearby cities.
- Darwinist - Likes to see civilizations at war, and believes in constant struggle.
- Standing Army - Always tries to keep a large standing army. Respects other civilizations with large armies.

In another thread, someone posted a few hidden agendas, apparently found during gameplays. Notice that the top one there is strictly focused on the late game, the modern era.

So, my question is this: Is it possible that hidden agendas will change over the course of a game? That leaders might start out with one hidden agenda in the early game, then switch to another one later on? It seems like this would makes sense, historically, and it would add a little more variety and intrigue to the game.

Some seem to be useful all game long and I doubt they'd change at some point. For example Money Grubber and the Agenda that likes improvements/good production that I've seen in one LP. I doubt that they change at all, it would risk alliances and friendships at a random point in time.

Early on they mentioned the possibility of civs getting a second hidden agenda (3 total agendas) in the later eras. That might be what Agendas like Air Power are for.

I would rather they wouldn't change over the course of the game. Too much variety to intrigue for my taste. It's already "all over the place" (not necessary in a bad way). In let's plays AI seem to change their position to player and others on a whim (not really, but constantly changing things that affect modifiers do make that illusion). I think there's enough changing modifiers without changing hidden agenda.

BTW "hidden agenda" is not all that hidden is it :rolleyes: I mean they come to you with their specific messages / complains that reveal their "hidden agenda" without needing to actually "reveal" it. How long, what 3 days after release we'll know all the messages and what agenda they represent?

We know a few agendas from Marbozir and Quill's gameplays.

This one is the only one I remember clearly:

Exploitative: removes all terrain features and builds as many improvements as possible, dislikes players with few improvements and players who build national parks.

I can't recall which lets play it was, but I think it was Tomyris who had the hidden agenda of "Civilized": Likes civilizations which clear barbarian camps, dislikes civs which do not.

We know a few agendas from Marbozir and Quill's gameplays.

This one is the only one I remember clearly:

Exploitative: removes all terrain features and builds as many improvements as possible, dislikes players with few improvements and players who build national parks.

In one Let's Play we saw Teddy with the opposite of this, Environmentalist. I don't remember the exact wording, but dislikes players that harvest resources and/or doesn't have national parks. Something like that.

In one Let's Play we saw Teddy with the opposite of this, Environmentalist. I don't remember the exact wording, but dislikes players that harvest resources and/or doesn't have national parks. Something like that.

I really like those two. They actually have a real impact on playstyle.

In quill's Rome LP, Scythia had the "Civilized" hidden agenda, which makes the AI like civs that clear out barbarian camps, and not like civs that neglect barbarians.

I really like those two. They actually have a real impact on playstyle.

It will be interesting when two AIs get those opposite hidden agendas, and just hate each other. And there won't really be a way of appeasing both. Time to ally with Sumer!

Darwinist sounds hilarious. If you see a civ that keeps on bribing you to go to war, or see an unusually aggressive game between different AIs, there could be a puppet master behind the scenes.

Darwinist sounds hilarious. If you see a civ that keeps on bribing you to go to war, or see an unusually aggressive game between different AIs, there could be a puppet master behind the scenes.
DOnt think you can trade for a war declaration anymore, its replaed with joint war

I olmost laughed at philip beeing angry at me for having low money and saying that i my country is bankrupt.

Yep exactly what you did philip.

Quill18's Norway game:
https://www.twitch.tv/quill18/v/92199463?t=2h47m55s

Builds National Parks, doesn't clear features, plants forests. Likes civilizations that plant forests or found National Parks. Dislikes civilizations that clear features.

Curious, how does one actually see an opponent's hidden agenda spelled out beyond simply guessing via observation?

Curious, how does one actually see an opponent's hidden agenda spelled out beyond simply guessing via observation?

When your "Access Level" gets to "Open" with a civ, you can see the actual value for the hidden agenda instead of "1 Hidden Agenda". The levels are at least "None", "Limited", "Open". At the start of the game, you start with "None" unless you are France which starts at "Limited". Sending a delegation that is accepted, espionage and other methods increase your access level.

With the name of the agenda visible, you can look at the tooltip for the details.

Last edited:
From Marbozir's game, not mentioned yet
Populous: Tries to have the highest overall population. Respects other high population civilizations.
City State Protector: Emphasizes protectorate wars. Admires civilizations that start protectorate wars. Dislikes civilizations that attack city states.
Explorer: Tries to explore the map, and likes civilizations that have explored less of the map than itself and dislikes civilizations that have explored more of the map than itself.

Last edited:
Top Bottom