Historical European Regions: What are they now?

Speaking of which, I'm the only person here cool enough to be from both Galicia's. :p
What is it about Eastern Europe that they insisted on stealing Western European names for so long? Iberia, Galicia, Albania (twice!)... The list, um, stops about there, actually, as far as I know, but still. It's rude. Good job the Russians invaded and taught you all some manners. :p

Iberia and Albania I don't know about. (Iberia and Albania are in the Caucasus too, if you count that in Eastern Europe, the other Albania I think is actually older then Ireland.)

But I think Galicia's were both settled and named by Galicia by the Celts, and we just adopted the name. (As did those in Iberia with their Galicia)

Iberia and Albania I don't know about. (Iberia and Albania are in the Caucasus too, if you count that in Eastern Europe, the other Albania I think is actually older then Ireland.)

But I think Galicia's were both settled and named by Galicia by the Celts, and we just adopted the name. (As did those in Iberia with their Galicia)
In all probability, yes; we are a rather backwards place. I just like to tease. ;)

And, technically, "Albania" referred solely to Scotland, being a Latinisation of "Alba", the Gaelic form of the Latin "Albion" (which seems redundant, but there you go), which by the Middle Ages had come to refer exclusively to the Gaelic regions of Great Britain. Greater Ireland was known as "Scotia", rendering Scotland as "Scotia Minor"; presumably it was that embarrassment which encouraged the Scots to pursue the alternate name.

Be a neat trick if anybody could trace their lineage back to the Tolistobogii really

Be a neat trick if anybody could trace their lineage back to the Tolistobogii really
Pfft. Paul Atreides traced his lineage all the way back to Agamemnon. You're all just jealous because of your common gutter blood. :p

Pomerania still exists, except the Ruskies moved all the Germans living in the cities to East Germany.

As they did with those 3.5 million Germans living in Bohemia and Monravia (Böhmen und Mähren). What today is the Czech Republic has for a long time been a grand mix between Germans and Czech.

Top Bottom