1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

History Rewritten (Original Thread)

Discussion in '[MAC+WIN] Civ4 - History Rewritten' started by Xyth, Feb 9, 2010.

1. coffee junkie

coffee junkie Tech Hippie

Asap you post this version, I download it and I try it :)

2. Lachlan

Lachlan Great Builder of Civs !

What building of which civ does the game crashes ?

3. coffee junkie

coffee junkie Tech Hippie

Not sure he knows which one if he has to hunt down :confused:

4. Lachlan

Will wait the 0.3 ;)

5. Lachlan

Any news here ? Few days that you are not came here...

6. Xyth

Xyth History Rewritten

0.3 is finished! I'll probably be going to bed before it finishes uploading so I'll update the link and information in the morning. In the meantime, here is the very long list of changes:

History Rewritten 0.3

Added
    • New Civilizations: Berbers, Tibet
    • New Leaders: Askiya, Canute, El Cid, Khosrau, Le Loi, Lobsang Gyatso, Songtsen Gampo, Timur, Tin Hinan, Yaqub al-Mansur, Yaroslav
    • New Trait: Progressive
    • 13 Maps with both realistic starting points and free civilization/leader choice (StartingPoints by The_J)
    • Arabia has a new UU: the Ansar (Knight replacement)
    • Carthage has a new UU: the Sacred Band (Spearman replacement)
    • Polynesia has a new UU: the Waka (Galley replacement)
    • Preliminary Windows compatibility (needs testing)
    Changed
    • Spiritual and Tactical traits redesigned
    • Ottomans are now the Turks
    • Zara Yaqob is now Ezana (to represent Aksum and better fit with traits)
    • Some leaders have reassigned traits: Brennus, Charlemagne, Djoser, Elizabeth, Hannibal, Qin Shi Huang, Sejong, Sundjata, Taizong
    • Arabia has new Ancient, Medieval and Renaissance unit art
    • Aztecs have new War Elephant, Cavalry art
    • Babylon has new Scout, Horse Archer, War Elephant art
    • Britain has new Redcoat, Cuirassier art
    • Byzantium has new War Elephant, Musketman, Cuirassier art
    • Carthage has new Classical Era art
    • Celts have some new unit art across several eras
    • China has new War Elephant, Musketman art
    • Egypt has some new unit art across most eras
    • France has new War Elephant, Cuirassier art
    • Germany has new War Elephant art
    • Hungary has new Worker art
    • India has new art for almost every unit
    • Israel has new War Elephant art
    • Japan has new Warrior, Axeman, War Elephant, Knight art
    • Korea has new Horseman, War Elephant art
    • Mali has new Horse Archer art
    • Mayans have new Cuirassier art
    • Mongolia has new Worker, War Elephant art
    • Nubia has new Horse Archer, War Elephant art
    • Nubian units have beautiful new shields
    • Persia has new War Elephant art
    • Portugal has new Ancient and Medieval unit art
    • Russia has new War Elephant art
    • Sioux have new War Elephant art
    • Spain has new Ancient and Medieval unit art
    • Sumer have new Settler, Skirmisher art
    • Turkey has new Ancient and Medieval unit art
    • Vietnam has new Musketman, Cuirassier art
    • Vikings have new Horse Archer, War Elephant art
    • Some changes to Missionary naming
    Fixed
    • Fixed a Galleon related crash for some civilizations
    • Fixed two building related crashes
    • 'Fake' buildings are no longer listed in the Civilopedia
    • The Rathaus was accidently still possible to build
    • Fixed a broken text tag with the Enterprising trait
    • Fixed an error when Missionaries are built
    • Enterprising trait now works properly when cities are captured
    • Expansive trait now works properly when cities are captured
    • Financial trait now works properly when cities are captured
    • Industrial trait now works properly when cities are captured
    • Spiritual trait can no longer give insane levels of culture
    • Crazy Horse no longer has an identity crisis
    • Fixed a nasty audio bug with the Japanese leaders
    • Carthaginian Heavy Footman now has the correct helm
    • Polynesian Marae no longer tries to animate
    • Fixed some missing buttons on the Tech Tree
    • Added many missing Schema files (needed for Windows compatibility)
    • Fixed many text encodings (needed for Windows compatibility)

7. Lachlan

1) And the two Earth Maps can have even the new civs you have added, at their right places ;) ?

2) http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=359227

What not steal this idea : Immigration Mod and Immigration based Civics ?

8. Xyth

Xyth History Rewritten

Okay, first posts are updated and 0.3 is now available for download, enjoy!

Yes, all the new civs are added where appropriate. Tibet will be somewhat challenging to play on a few maps though...

That mod is very heavily based on custom DLL changes. I did mess around with a Python based Immigration mod component a while back but I found it added a lot of micromanagement to the game and really wasn't that much fun.

9. dw8r

dw8r Chieftain

Xyth,

I've been coming to these forums for years, but never before have I made a post. I want you to know that you have my utter and sincere thanks for building this mod.

I've been a Civilization player since the very beginning, and I was thrilled every time Aspyr came out with a new version of Civ IV. Despite being years late with BTS, I was happy to finally be able to play Rhye's the way it was meant to be played.

However, the lack of effort by Aspyr and the lateness of the BTS for Mac launch resulted in very few good mods for a Mac user. Despite having BTS, I was and am unable to play the vast majority of maps created by PC users. Almost every mod that does work for Mac requires editing and modding to a truly unfriendly extent for a user. I didn't buy this game to hack it, I bought it to enjoy Civilization.

Your mod is the first that I can truly say works wonders. Your inclusion of proper earth maps with appropriate starting points is honestly a life saver for me... previously, I'd have to create a custom map in WorldBuilder every time, which sometimes took hours to do.

Your additions to the game itself are really terrific and sorely needed.

Thank you for making Civ IV for Mac fun again. Please keep up the great work.

10. Keinpferd

Keinpferd King

I had to look up Aotearoa, which is Maori for New Zealand, to know what's morning for Xyth, late evening for us Europeans, so good morning (assuming you don't live in another place, now) and I'll probably be playing through morning…

My only request is, let the Holy Roman Empire come back. I mean, in the game… Maybe there are some convincing reasons to have them merged with Germans, but if you look at some civs that aren't solely based on ethnicity, like the Byzantines or the Americans, why had the Holy Roman Empire to go? Charlemagne is in French history books considered one of the great French leaders, in German history book he's Karl der Große. The HRE under Habsburg dynasty was for centuries one of the big dogs. In most European wars until Napoleon HRE was a major war faction. Leaving out the HRE is like merging the Byzantines with the Romans, for they called themselves Rhomoi and looked at themselves as "the Romans." But no doubt, they deserve to be a distinctive civ.

11. Xyth

Xyth History Rewritten

Really happy to hear you're enjoying HR! I'm one of those weird people who loves hacking and tinkering with everything as much as playing so no doubt I'll be modding away for quite some time yet.

I hope the new maps are good ones, I don't play with maps very often so I'm not the best judge of quality or balance with them. All these come from The_J's Starting Points. Do let me know if you think any of the starting positions need to be adjusted.

Yeah I'm in New Zealand (GMT+12) so mornings and evenings pretty much swap over with Europe :)

I'll definitely consider it. My goals/definitions for the civs have changed a bit since I started HR and I see your point about Rome and Byzantium. It's a bit similar with Sumer and Babylon, Phoenicia and Carthage. The major differences with the HRE is considerable overlap with citylists, and most significantly, unit art.

My plan was/is to strongly emphasize the HRE as a, if not the, major part of Germany's history. I'd add a second Medieval leader (maybe Barbarossa) and completely remake/expand the city list. Recently though I've been thinking about really important cities like Venice and Genoa that are not properly covered by Rome/Byzantium and certainly not by Germany, so maybe some form of HRE/Habsburg/Austria/etc civ is needed after all.

The main thing holding me back is that I definitely want to keep the Franks as part of France. France needs an ancient/medieval era and because the Celts are already their own civ, the Franks need to be it.

When I start tackling the citylists I will have a think about the options.

EDIT: On a completely different topic I'm considering changing Brennus to Arthur or Brian Boru (same art, different name, traits etc). Brennus was a title and not a name and I know that Firaxis wants him to represent the leader of the Celts that sacked Rome but he's a still a pretty minor and vague figure compared to other important Celtic leaders.

Vercingetorix represents the Gauls, Boudica the Britons and I'd really like the other 2 leaders (I'll be adding a 4th leader to the civ) to represent Wales, Scotland and/or Ireland. I realize Arthur is a controversial choice but were I to include him he most definitely would NOT be the romanticized/high middle ages version. Despite his semi-legendary status (just like Gilgamesh, Ragnar, etc) he's still one of the most famous Celtic figures there is.

I think the Brennus leaderhead could work well for a 'historical-as-possible' Arthur, or as Brian Boru or similar Irish leader. Thoughts?

EDIT OF EDIT: On the other hand, maybe that gives too much emphasis to the 'remnants' of the Celtic civilization and the he should stay as a Brennus to represent the continental Celts in all their glory. Much to ponder.

12. s.bernbaum

s.bernbaum Mostly lurking

From my reading on the "historical" Arthur, the most current thought is that he was the military leader of the Romanized Britons, who defeated the invading Saxons at Baden Hill in southwest England (exact location unknown) in the late 490s. This resulted in a peace treaty that lasted until the early 550s, when the Saxons again invaded Briton territory. He is thought to be the immediate heir of the well documented Briton war leader Ambrosius Aurelanus. :king:?

13. Lachlan

Error while opening archive...

Error while decompressing...

I will retry...

EDIT : download succeed !

EDIT 2 : have a crash when encountering Angkor/Kher

Here the save : It an earth map with 18 Civs chosen in medieval times...

EDIT 3 : I play on tectonics.py with Lobsang Gyatso of Tibet, no problem, just started...

Attached Files:

14. Keinpferd

Keinpferd King

That you put the maps in, adds a lot to the value of the mod! Just for the people who don't read every line of the mod description after every new patch: Xyth gives us 13 realistic maps and when you choose some 18 of his 42 civs in the custom scenario menu, they will appear in their correct starting positions:thumbsup:!

In the first two maps, I tried, I found the starting positions messed up, though, some missing or slightly out of track. That was on Western Europe (38x48) and Europe (90x90). Example attached. I hope no Catalan player sees that. Now I'm trying Eurasia (250x80), and so far, everybody seems in the right place. Since you modded a modmod of map mods, it's probably not so easy to track down each starting location issue. It shows in The_J's thread, that he had to fix some locations of the original maps he used, too. You can't possibly check every single starting position of all 42 civs on all maps:think:…

Attached Files:

15. Xyth

Xyth History Rewritten

Lachlan you have a talent for finding my mistakes very quickly! :lol:

This one is truly bizzare though, the Khmer are pretty much the one civ I made no changes to at all in 0.3 yet it's the one causing the crash! And here I thought I was being so super thorough in my testing :(

Anyway, it's the Jayavarman leaderhead causing the crash but I don't think I've made any changes to him since 0.1! Bizarre. I must have deleted a file or something by accident, sigh. It's late here and I'm exhausted so I'll have a proper look at it in the morning and post a fix.

16. Lachlan

Yes, at the moment i will pursue my current game its very nice...
    Barbarians have taken my holy buddhist city...

IDEA : what about Tomàs de Torquemada, the Great Inquisitor of Spain ?
    It was 5 siecles before, but its grave was destroyed only in 1830, was causing the end of Spanish Inquisition... Tomàs de Torquemada was famous by its personality...

Restarted a new game : discovered that Attila and one other civ has not the diplomacy texts...
    No crash although...

17. Xyth

Xyth History Rewritten

Looks like somehow I accidently added/replaced some files in Jayavarman's art folder. Very weird. Anyway here is a replacement: Jayavarman Fix

Navigate to '/History Rewritten/Assets/Modules/Angkor/Leaders/', delete the folder 'Jayavarman' there and replace it with the one from the archive you just downloaded. I won't reupload the whole mod but I'll add this fix to the first post.

Yeah I definitely didn't have time to check all starting positions on all maps, I just added the new civs and adjusted any that I noticed while doing so. I know that on some of the smaller maps the starting positions might be a little off; I think this is because the author wanted to leave enough space for a decent city if two close civs are both on the map, Spain and Portugal for example. The other big example is the Byzantines and the Turks. I think Constantinople gets the actual position while Istanbul gets shifted to the area of Ankara. I should also mention that Polynesia is placed in New Zealand most of the time, simply because it was generally the only Pacific area with a sustainable land area for a city.

When I rework the citylists some of these starting positions will need to be changed too. For example the Chinese will not start with Beijing, they'll start with Anyang. The Turks will be shifted to Central Asia, the Indians to Pataliputra, and so on.

In the meantime though, shifting start positions is pretty easy so if you notice anything that could be improved on any of the maps let me know and I'll adjust it for 0.4. Tell me which map, which civ, and how many tiles the starting position should be shifted. For example:

Europe 90x90, Spain, shift 6 tiles west and 3 tiles south.

I just tested Attila and didn't notice any issues. Could you post a screenshot of the problem? What was the other civ?

18. Lachlan

My current game ;)

Particular conditions of game, you can open, if you want, worldbuilder...

Do you have comments here ?

I'm a boomer, a pacifist...

Attached Files:

19. Lachlan

1) Another current game with Attila the Hungarian ;)
    What do you think of this set of civs ?

2) I recognize to have difficulties to play these 18 Civs only in Old World...
    Lack of room, have you an idea for an ideal set of civs ?

3) Xyth, you could publicize a few configuration of 18 civs on Earth Map (BTS one) would be ideal for play...
    Ideally how many civ in each 5 continents ?
    In Europe ? In Middle East ? In Asia ? In Oceania (with indian sub-continent) ? In Africa ? In Americas ?

4) The Standard Earth 100x56 is not setted for the script, it said "warlord map"...

5) What are the news for 0.4 , I notify that have missing text in diplo with new leaders, not all but a few ones... But doesn't crash...

Attached Files:

20. Xyth

Xyth History Rewritten

I don't really play maps myself, I prefer random maps, so I'm not the best person for such a discussion. Anyone have any advice on this for Lachlan?

What I will do for 0.4 though is list which civs are available for which map as it's not always apparent.

That just means the map was originally made for Warlords. It still works fine.

I need to know which leaders and when. You mentioned Attila but I tested him and didn't see any missing text... is it coming up as something like TXT_DIPLOMACY_BLA_BLA_BLA or just appearing completely blank? Also is it happening when you first meet the leader or later?

As for 0.4 I'm going to spend some time indulging one of my favourite parts of history: the Ancient Near East. Assuming I can get enough unit art I'm going to add Assyria, Hatti and Phoenicia. I'm also going to spend some time redoing all the citylists in this region as the Firaxis supplied ones are atrocious.

After that I'm not sure yet. I might continue with tidying citylists and maybe start adding a lot of the missing pedia text. In terms of new features I'm thinking I will start messing with wonders. There is a neat mod component out there that gives a Unique National Wonder to every civ (so each civ has a UU, UB and UW). A couple civs don't have UU yet and I need to fix this. I'm going to leave the missing UBs for the moment as I will probably add a few new buildings when I rework the tech tree - probably in 0.5.