Hotel? No need, you can stay at my place!

Reaction:

• Total voters
I've both hosted people at my place and been hosted at other people's places. I've always been grateful for - and usually take - offers to stay at someone else's house. But I'm an introvert addicted to comfort and also excessively krengjai. It's fun to stay at someone's place for a night or two (even more fun if I get to share a bed...) but I don't feel comfortable staying any longer than that. I can stay at *different people's houses* in succession (on a four-night trip to Brisbane I stayed at a different place each night), just not the same house.

As for the reverse situation, it depends how well I know them. If I know them relatively well I'm happy for them to stay at my place for up to a week - I can always retreat to my bedroom/gaming cave if I need space - but not longer than that unless there are exceptional circumstances.

There was a time when I had the money to go on trips and stay at hotels. Not anymore. I would definitely be grateful for an offer such as this. Likewise I'd offer it to a fellow gamer from here or the other forums I like to go to. But not to a complete stranger. Does that make me a bad person?

No.

There was a time when I had the money to go on trips and stay at hotels. Not anymore. I would definitely be grateful for an offer such as this. Likewise I'd offer it to a fellow gamer from here or the other forums I like to go to. But not to a complete stranger. Does that make me a bad person?

It makes you sensible.

I used to go to two science fiction conventions every year, in July and October. That meant hotels for a weekend, and sharing rooms (even in the '80s and '90s they weren't cheap).

That said, sometimes the concom managed to negotiate a very good rate for rooms. $25/night, 4 people sharing, made it $12.50 for the weekend. In Calgary. The year we had NonCon in Red Deer, my grandmother couldn't figure out why I would spend money to stay 3 nights at the hotel up the hill when I could sleep at home and eat here. I told her that as a committee member, I had to be there. Besides, I'd spend too much time on buses going back and forth, missing out on the events and panels, and in addition - the people I was rooming with had agreed that we would host a Doctor Who video room. The concom agreed to rent a VCR for us, my friend in Calgary brought a huge tote full of Tom Baker and Peter Davison Doctor Who episodes she'd taped from PBS, and we opened our room for videos for 10-12 hours each day. There was a main video room, of course, for people who wanted to watch movies, but none of that was Doctor Who. We had anywhere from 2-3 to a dozen people at a time who came to watch videos.

Three nights that year cost me $13/night.

Top Bottom