[RD] How comfortable are you with change?

I cannot really beilieve this, unless you are living in a city with a world class university hospital. But maybe you do, your health situation must be horrible, from what you are normally telling.

No, in Canada. I ended up here to enroll in a medical program, the only of its kind in the entire country. That did not go very well, but at this point all of my health-based responsibilities and connections are here and cannot be transferred elsewhere. For now.

We have decent healthcare as a baseline, but when you get into specialized care it gets a little tricky. It's one of the biggest reasons why I want to get to a point where I don't need to involve myself with the healthcare system at all anymore, because as it stands right now it limits what I can do and where I can do it significantly.

I would recommend a change in job though. This is on average one of the biggest changes you can have, and you might find it inproves your situation ;).

I did that last year. It's had great financial results, from a certain point of view, but unfortunately it didn't make life all that much better. Mentally, anyways. Still, it implies better financial welfare for the future, and will help me get to the goal I mentioned above about not needing to involve myself with the healthcare system.

I like change. I am pretty adaptable and I find regular routines get old quickly. I enjoy strange cultures. The fast moving changes that tech is bringing is exciting and interesting. I vary my daily schedule and pace of my activity all the time. I liked driving in Spain. My wife is just the opposite.

I'm not really fond of change. I find it difficult to adapt at times, but I'm a stodgy old lady of 49 who is set in her ways to a degree.

I have had three major changes in my life. The first was when I moved away from Dublin and moved to Canada and went to university. I was no longer confined to the house when I wasn't at school, I was free. I was still a cringing mess whenever I heard my name called (and for various reasons I started using my middle name), but I gradually got used to university life and came out of my shell. I also chose at that time to come out. All in all it was a very positive experience for me.

The second major change happened when my first partner was killed in an automobile accident involving a drunk driver. It took me years to get over that one, but I managed and married happily and moved on with my life. I think it made me cope better with adversity.

The third major change in my life was the suicide of my wife six years ago. That one wrecked me and I'm still recovering from it, though I have started dating again and I have met a lovely woman and we're seeing a lot of each other.

Sometimes change alters you for the better. Sometimes it makes you realize where you are in life and the things you must do to change for the better. Sometimes change simply devastates you, but you have to pick yourself up and dust yourself off and move on. All I know is that I don't need any more major changes in my life. Unless maybe if I get married again. Could happen, right? Maybe?

Last edited:
@Lemon Merchant You really made my problem and experience look trivial, it motivates me in a way. You did your best, and yet everybody struggling with a demon that we don't know or understand. You surely have nerves of steel (and that's a compliment, don't misunderstand) and I believe you going out from the rubble stronger than ever, wish you the best ;)

I cannot really beilieve this, unless you are living in a city with a world class university hospital. But maybe you do, your health situation must be horrible, from what you are normally telling.
In such a situation change is obviously scary. As a healthy young man (plus my other privileges) this looks very different than to a situation where things are already messed up and can easily turn worse.

I would recommend a change in job though. This is on average one of the biggest changes you can have, and you might find it improves your situation ;).
The Canadian health care system is less of a system than a set of rules that varies from province to province, and coverage in your province of residence doesn't mean coverage anywhere else in the country.

I can walk into any clinic or hospital in Alberta and get treated and not have to pay. If I have to go to the hospital in BC (where Synsensa is) I'd be financially screwed, as I wouldn't have coverage in that province.

Hopefully a country-wide pharmacare plan will be one of the issues that get people out to vote later this year. People keep saying they want it and will vote for the party that will implement it, but everything gets sidetracked over the latest round of sneering at Justin Trudeau's socks or the latest thing, which is that a Jewish Conservative candidate is wailing that voting day falls on a religious holiday, and would the Chief Electoral Officer be a dear and move the election to a day of her choosing, kthxbai? (she knew four years ago what day the election would fall on this year; she should have taken that into account when deciding to be a candidate)

When I’m down, and need to change, change is scary and the outcomes seem pointless and even if they weren’t, unobtainable anyway. But when I’m alright then change is fine or inspiring.

When I’m down, and need to change, change is scary and the outcomes seem pointless and even if they weren’t, unobtainable anyway. But when I’m alright then change is fine or inspiring.

I found myself when cornered I became more open to change. I told everybody I don't want to leave Turkey, not until the circumstances forced me to do so, I able to leave the Sublime Porte, and looking back it is actually for the best.

I thought about going with Clare, but thought it was too obvious. so how do you say such a name?
It's easy. It rolls off the tongue unless you're a North American. :lol:

Sheh-VONNE <-- Accent on the last syllable (and the last "E" is silent. Like Yvonne)

It's easy. It rolls off the tongue unless you're a North American. :lol:

Sheh-VONNE <-- Accent on the last syllable (and the last "E" is silent. Like Yvonne)

I see, it's pronounced just like it is spelled!! Lovely name. :)

I thought about this a bit, and I guess it really matters what priviliges and experiences you have.
I'm a young, white, healthy highly-educated male living in a western country. A change for me is an opportunity.
If you are...err... a middle-aged black disabled single mother flipping burgers at McKing, then every change is a threat.

I thought about this a bit, and I guess it really matters what priviliges and experiences you have.
I'm a young, white, healthy highly-educated male living in a western country. A change for me is an opportunity.
If you are...err... a middle-aged black disabled single mother flipping burgers at McKing, then every change is a threat.

I really think it is the opposite, you get a lot to lose, when you have a lot you fear a lot also. While those who have little to nothing to lose, they embrace rolling the dice with change. They dream for change, they risk their life, cross the border for change.

That is true.
But for me, most situations work out, due to the circumstances.
E.g. I am searching a new job (i actually do). I am looking forward to a new challenge and new environment. I have enough money saved to life comfortably for a while. I am highly educated amd I know I will find something. It s an opportunity.
If the sinle mom loses her burger flipping job, then it's a threat. 2 kids. Not enough savings. Bad chance of bew employment. Or finding something better. Threat of ending up on the street. While there might be the possibility for a positive change, the circumstances are making it unlikely.

That is true.
But for me, most situations work out, due to the circumstances.
E.g. I am searching a new job (i actually do). I am looking forward to a new challenge and new environment. I have enough money saved to life comfortably for a while. I am highly educated amd I know I will find something. It s an opportunity.
If the sinle mom loses her burger flipping job, then it's a threat. 2 kids. Not enough savings. Bad chance of bew employment. Or finding something better. Threat of ending up on the street. While there might be the possibility for a positive change, the circumstances are making it unlikely.

Actually you put up a good logic there, and both circumstances appear to be true also, mmmm, either you are forced to change for survival or you got confidence to embrace the change.

Top Bottom