Human Model for Poser

Attachments

• P5Cape2.jpg
    P5Cape2.jpg
    2.1 KB · Views: 1,910
I made up a morphing beard prop for LBPB. It morphs into a number of different configurations. Made for the PDM figure and posted in the first post.

I have a question for you poser users. I'm thinking of buying Poser, but what edition should I buy. Poser 5 might be too expensive, 260 euro. But what is the difference between Poser Artist and Poser Pro Pack? Poser Artist costs 99 euro, Pro Pack cost 199 but you could also buy them in bunlde at 199. Should I consider buying both? Isn't Pro Pack a newer edition than the Artist?

Also if I am going to buy this, I guess I'm going to buy them via ESD download and that only costs 145 for the Pro Pack but the bunlde costs the same, do you still get an manual?

Is the difference between these version and Poser 5 big, since it would only cost 60 euros more to buy?

http://www.egisys.de/onlinestore/poserartist_en.html "Attention Poser 4 users: If you have already purchased Poser 4, you should upgrade to Poser 5 for new features & content. " Does this mean I actually have to buy Poser 4 aswell?

And also, do you know of any tutorials to actually make clothes for these figures? I see that you do that Kinboat, did you learn that from yourself or did you follow an tutorial?

EDIT: Nevermind the tutorial for making clothes, I looked through this thread and someone had a link.

Poser Artist = Poser 4. They repackaged it because Poser 4 + Pro Pack are still selling better than Poser 5.

Anyway, P4 is the "industry standard", compatible with all the 3d models out there. Pro Pack is an extension that adds LightWave/3DS/Flash export and Character/Bone Setup (if you want to make your own humanoid models in 3DS for example). I have Poser 5 myself, but I don't use any of the P5 new features like dynamic hair or clothing because they suck and are incompatible with 99% of the stuff available on the web.

Buy Poser 4, and spend the rest on Daz3D models. You may want the ProPack bundle if you consider modelling your own characters (not just props) in 3DS or similiar.

I use Poser 4 with the ProPack expansion (I wasn't aware they had renamed it). I haven't tried 5 out pretty much because of what embryodead just said... Bad reviews and a buggy program.

The only thing is that you still need a 3D modeling program to model almost anything (you can do some stuff in Poser with existing geometries). I think there are some freeware programs out there that you can use (there is a link in my signature to one that I think is promising).

Poser 5 has had 4 patches now, and works pretty good. Risbinrocj should actually get hold of Daz Studio from www.daz3d.com. It's still in beta, but it's free and has most of the things poser 4 has, but lacks the new stuff poser 5 has (like dynamic hair and clothing)

Hmm, Daz Studio is free, but is it better than Poser 4? Or just the same? If Poser 4 Pro Pack is better I think will buy that, but the Pro Pack is just an expension then (don't include Poser 4 the actual program) - should I buy both Artist + Pro Pack?

The Cloth room etc, thats in Poser 5, isn't that also in Pro Pack?

And that program (ppModeler) looks good Kinboat, it can export to a lot of formats.

Last time I checked DAZ Studio it was only usable in making static leaderheads, no animations, buggy. But maybe they added stuff... dunno. Download it anyway, it comes with some basic DAZ models that should be usable in Poser... Compare them with quality of the models that come with P4/P5 and you will see why I told you to get those DAZ models :)

Cloth Room is in Poser 5 only. It's for adding dynamics to special "dynamic" clothing so that it will wave with the wind etc. Doesn't work with 95% of the stuff, so it's useless (it's not just my personal opinion).

Yes, Pro Pack is an expansion to Poser4/Artist, not a standalone application, so you have to buy that bundle.

Yeah, this is a greath thread. I have orderef poser myself, and can't wait to (try) make units myself - allthough it may have to wait until christmas, exams coming up etc.

And I got 3d Studio Max 6 right now (allthough I'm not that good), and have ordered 7, should arrive in a week or two. For those of you who might wonder how much it costs, not necessary that much, if you are a student you might get it very cheap; a student license in Norway costs about 850 norwegian kroner (around 135 US dollars) - the license will then work for two years. And that is not very expensive.

The downside (for some, not me) is that you can't make money with it, and that it don't include the tutorials that full version have. The upside, is that it includes the full version of Character Studio 4...

Just I hope I win the lottery now... that is if Kinboat is up to it and don't ignore my request, requested an "ultimate tutorial" on how to make a unit... Because I belive I will struggle a bit at start making clothes for poser, props should be ok though.

You mean the Texture Template? I'll get them together today and post them here.

That's a good idea :D I've posted the UVMapper program in my signature. Just open the OBJ file in the program and the template should come up... Then you can save an image from it to use as a texture image.

This is amazing. I really don't know where to begin, but everything here points me in the right direction. A couple of questions - with all the talk about Poser 4 and 5, is there really a point to go with 5? Also, if I don't have 4, is it hard to get? I don't see it out there like 5.

Kinboat and all the other masters of animation out there, thanks.

r

Top Bottom