Ideas, Requests, and Feedback

Hey there, just wanted to say what a great Mod!

Played a few test games over the weekend and really liked what I saw.

I really like the slower pace of the game. Rather than the AI spamming cities all over the map their expansion is slower and even by turn 400 on a lot of games most of the AI's had only a few dozen cities and the was still lots of unclaimed territory.

It may not to be everybody’s tastes, but I really like it, keep up the good work!

(ps I normally play FfH on large maps with Emperor difficulty and raging barbarians – and even then the AI’s would colonise the land mass in the first few hundred turns which would pretty much stop barbarians spawning!)

-M

Whoa, a few dozen cities? I don't think I've seen a civ in 1.30 with close to that many cities. I guess it depends on your map type and size. I play on a mostly land Large map and I'm not sure I have seen a civ with even 1 dozen cities. I think the most I had were 8-9.

I agree that the pace of the game is excellent as far as growth goes!

Whoa, a few dozen cities? I don't think I've seen a civ in 1.30 with close to that many cities. I guess it depends on your map type and size. I play on a mostly land Large map and I'm not sure I have seen a civ with even 1 dozen cities. I think the most I had were 8-9.

I agree that the pace of the game is excellent as far as growth goes!

Sorry my bad, I meant to say a few dozen in total (large maps with 8 AI Civ's). Around 4-6 each I guess, although those pesky lizards always seem to get well on their way to a dozen ;)

-M

Whenever the Cualli are in my games they settle most of the jungles and then go on a conquest of the world, burning half the cities they take raising the AC and keeping the other half for themselves. They're the only civ I've seen with a dozen or so cities since 1.30. Of course their momentum is completely halted when they reach my borders =P

The only time I ever see the AI grow at a decent rate is when the leader is expansive or terraformers. Assuming I'm playing a warmonger my first two or three conquests are one city civs(this is playing on quick). I rarely see four city civs before turn 200(Quick). It might just be an issue with the AI not building settlers and workers early enough, but hopefully the health fixes in 1.4 solves things.

well. playing small and quick, 7 AI : (currently at turn 230)
cheron (kurios), bannor and lanun !! had only 1 city, almost un-improved (bannor was without fresh water)
Sheaim had 4 cities before I killed them, but they tried to take the bannor for a 5th city before I stole their prey :D
Hippus have... I don't know, 3-5 cities (capital is at 12), well improved from what I can see.
Svart had 3 cities (capital at 8), 2 without fresh water.
Doviellos have a second city, and the first is without fresh water.
I have built 4 cities (older cities at 14-15), then taken 6 from ennemies :D

IMO it shows that some civs can develop a bit (dov, hippus, sheaim, even the svart)
but bannor, lanun(even if improved the land) and kurios couldn't.

IMO all those were heavily terrain related.
the map is small, (erebus earth mapscript), there is a huge desert in the middle.
lanun were on a small peninsula, there link to the continent was between me and svart. that killed their expension.
dov are in the north, but they have a really really small tundra/glacier territory where they can expand. 2 cities is a bit all they could do. their south was taken by svart capital and Kurios capital.
hippus/sheaim were in grassland-hill country, and their capital had fresh water : they had good terrain in which to expand.

Bannor were hardpressed in plain/desert terrain, without fresh water, between aggressive sheaim and svart. they were doomed from the beginning

What I don't understand is the kurios. Well I kinda understand : floodplain desert + some ressource. IMO the :yuck: killed them. What I don't understand is why they never ever improved the land.

Maybe next time, playing with this mapscript I should really impose having the malakim or scion or the legion to benefit from all that desert :D

Blance issue :
-the work boat of the sidar can't enter mist... and thus can't settle on that clam !
-I didn't verify what happens to catapults and the other boats.
-For the druid I mentionned : it was a divided soul upgraded to druid : cannot climb on mountain, ever. I'll check with the next one I'll build to see if there is a pattern or if it was a fluck.

Bannor were hardpressed in plain/desert terrain, without fresh water, between aggressive sheaim and svart. they were doomed from the beginning

What I don't understand is the kurios. Well I kinda understand : floodplain desert + some ressource. IMO the :yuck: killed them. What I don't understand is why they never ever improved the land.

From my own experience (admittedly mostly playing on large marathon maps with the erebus continent script and flavour starts), it takes awhile for the AI to get towards land improvement because of how they protect their workers against barbarians... I saw one banor city with one worker under a stack of six axemen protecting it!

I also had a game with Cheron/Kurios where they struggled to expand beyond one city, even though it had fresh water and was mostly hills and forest... I don't think it was the health that stymied them, but maybe they couldn't get enough workers out to chop the forest and build decent improvements?

-M

Your post actually summarizes why it was put in. :lol:..

That's what I figured. FFH2/Civ always needed a way to introduce some "terrain" modifiers for sea movement to add a little bit of dynamic play there. Kelp and reefs are good. Some similar games have introduced rare random storm spawns. While random deadly storms are generally something I would consider a "bad" thing (Random deadly events are always bad.. takes the game away from the player.) storms that do damage or impede movement (Rough Seas) would be interesting. Just throwing that in there. I don't know how crowded the random number crunching is every turn for all those plots. :)

From my own experience (admittedly mostly playing on large marathon maps with the erebus continent script and flavour starts), it takes awhile for the AI to get towards land improvement because of how they protect their workers against barbarians... I saw one banor city with one worker under a stack of six axemen protecting it!

I also had a game with Cheron/Kurios where they struggled to expand beyond one city, even though it had fresh water and was mostly hills and forest... I don't think it was the health that stymied them, but maybe they couldn't get enough workers out to chop the forest and build decent improvements?

-M
I admit that.. but still, all other AI had 1-2 warriors/archers per worker. But the kurios have 6 warriors/centaurs in the city and 2 workers in it, no improvement. and they even have 2 nigthwatches..
Maybe it is the presence of invicible Wyrms that blocked him more than the :yuck:
Or maybe the Kuriotates strategy (3 cities, + settlement) doesn't go well for the AI in the current game : more :yuck: bad barbs...Etc.

Ok listen: Mazatl are allowed to build RoK Paramander's, however, they can't since those units require the normal Temple of Kilmorph, and Mazatl have a replacement for such temple. Is this going to be fixed? Or it is already?

What I don't understand is the kurios. Well I kinda understand : floodplain desert + some ressource. IMO the killed them. What I don't understand is why they never ever improved the land.

I'm pretty sure the AI won't build workers unless certain pop(and health maybe) criteria are met. I could be wrong though.

Alot of cool stuff in here.

Any plan on using the vanilla FH2 map generator? I realy like how that one sections off areas with the mountains so you could try to rush a pass and cut off a rival from expansion. Your current map generators feel more like a wide open plain with a ton of ocean. There is alot of water even when having it on water level low the maps are mostly water.

Any idea why all the Civs including my own cast their world spells on turn 2? Ive started a couple of games now and its happend.

Alot of cool stuff in here.

Any plan on using the vanilla FH2 map generator? I realy like how that one sections off areas with the mountains so you could try to rush a pass and cut off a rival from expansion. Your current map generators feel more like a wide open plain with a ton of ocean. There is alot of water even when having it on water level low the maps are mostly water.

Any idea why all the Civs including my own cast their world spells on turn 2? Ive started a couple of games now and its happend.

None whatsoever (I absolutely despise the Erebus map). However, you are free to turn it on; EXTREMELY easy to do, using the launcher. Hit the "Manage Mapscripts" button, find Erebus.py, and enable it.

Turn 2 spell casting is because some of the pyreqs need to be updated, specifically that of the Amurites.

Hey Valk finally got around to playing 1.3 and I'm completely loving it.

I'm no longer encountering the round crashes to desktop anymore like 1.2 did and I'm totally loving my Goliath I modeled thats been added in.

No surprise its one of my fave things in it ATM =P

Though I do believe it could benefit from some scaling up model wise to look truly gargantuan, kinda like the scale of 1.2 Goliath or a bit smaller.

Also the Thopters are a cool and nice addition. Though I kinda miss the Zeppelin model Lenora, always liked the idea of the Lenora being a mobile base uber Zeppelin sorta made more sense then the current thopter version.

Anyway keep up the awesome work =D

Your post actually summarizes why it was put in. :lol:

However, it's been nerfed down to a rate of 4 for growth and 3 movement.

Will probably also have a way for workboats to clear it out.

You know, it might be worth requiring the kelp be cleared with captured animal units... :)

If the new spawn rate is low enough, kelp won't be an insurmountable problem. If sea serpents, turtles, the Leviathan and other sea-going critters destroy kelp on whatever tile they happen to land on, it won't effect the player -They will stay outside of their territory. It'll also "weed" the kelp in areas that the player has not expanded into yet. Once captured, they have an user activated ability to "feed" which can help keep sea-lanes open. That puts a little bit more of a flavor twist on sea creatures. In this case, instead of being a military asset or a traffic hazard, they get an additional property as a possible resource.

Just a thought.

That is a brilliant idea there Morkonan. I second it.

And I vote the other way.

Aquatic animals clearing out kelp is a bad thing, for multiple reasons. First off, it's unrealistic (kelp generally has more animals, they don't clear it out to the extent that would be required for this), but second and more importantly, it would result in the oceans being cleared of the kelp that is placed there by the map.

Hey, what about if you make the GP "escape" spell an unit ability? That way, perhaps the AI could use it, and you also can use it if Arcane Laguna is active. (Only applied to GP though).

You do have a point there.

BTW, since the mod moders guide thread is not available (I don't want to double post there.) Does anyone know a good turtorial to teach me how to add a new head to a unit?

I managed to add the head it self no problem but since the original model is in 1 part mesh I can't get the old head to disappear. So I get a unit with the new head and an old head protruding underneath. Any ideas?

Top Bottom