Ideas, Requests, and Feedback

I just had a fantastic domination victory with the Khazad, everything went great but I do have a few problems.
*The Mithril Golem gives far too many "Good" points, I had been very bad the entire game and still ended up being +300 good with Kandros Fir
*That said, there should be a "alignment tax" when you attack a country pleased or friendly with you, it makes sense, doesn't it?
*Siege weapons, even Dwarven cannons are nearly useless if you have access to units that can do ranged damage(especially arquebuses) or mages with fireball. There should be a way to increase their speed atleast to 2 and perhaps make their ranged combat range 2 squares rather than 1.
*Way too much kelp was growing, it made naval warfare completely useless(incidently, the lanun became a 1 province vassal of the Losalfar
*This is probably a bug, but scorpion clan archers and large warriors with spears(can't remember names) kept spawning on top of ONE of my fort commanders, thus being able to pillage the tile while I can't even fight it with an immobile guy on an island.

I just had a fantastic domination victory with the Khazad, everything went great but I do have a few problems.
*The Mithril Golem gives far too many "Good" points, I had been very bad the entire game and still ended up being +300 good with Kandros Fir
*That said, there should be a "alignment tax" when you attack a country pleased or friendly with you, it makes sense, doesn't it?
*Siege weapons, even Dwarven cannons are nearly useless if you have access to units that can do ranged damage(especially arquebuses) or mages with fireball. There should be a way to increase their speed atleast to 2 and perhaps make their ranged combat range 2 squares rather than 1.

I thought Khazad dwarves could not build/upgrade to get Mages??

But, I agree it would be great if they could fire from further away than one tile.

I don't really think that the Mithril Golem ought to make one more good at all. The pedia entry shows that it was made mostly out of a desire for revenge, and that grief-struck Kilmorph after enchanting it chose to wash her hands of responsibility for the actions it takes because she knew it would probably be used to case such immense destruction.

I've never likes the FF based Force I spell. The precept of Force has nothing to do with siege craft or mibility at all, but is about balance, moderation, and compromise. My modmod's Force I spell, Temperance, which gives a promotion of the same name that gives resistance to both holy and unholy damage, is much more appropriate. I also think that my approach of making the Mobility I and Commando promotions available to UNITCOMBAT_SIEGE is a better way of addressing the weakness of such weaponry.

Just wanted to mention two ideas which came up here are not totally correct:

1. Giving a unit that has been turned into a werewolf Loyalty does NOT always keep him from wandering off. It does seem to help, but I had a few wander off even with Loyalty, one unit twice.

2. Courage does NOT prevent a unit from experiencing the adverse effects of haunted lands. I had one unit get the 70% damage and another the effect that reduces movement. Both of these units had Courage. Again, it seemed to help, and gave me a false sense of security as I sent my units everywhere - until two of them were affected by haunted lands.

One more unrelated item. I haven't seen Hyborem/Infernals in many of my games...thankfully. They spawned right on my border, declared war and immediately began spamming strong Manticore units. A bit much IMO as the AC was only in the 20s and the game was around turn 330 (normal speed).

2. Courage does NOT prevent a unit from experiencing the adverse effects of haunted lands. I had one unit get the 70% damage and another the effect that reduces movement. Both of these units had Courage. Again, it seemed to help, and gave me a false sense of security as I sent my units everywhere - until two of them were affected by haunted lands.

There's nothing in the python code for Haunted Lands that cares about Courage (as far as I can see). But Courage does have PromotionExcludes for Shattered Nerve and Spooked. So I'm guessing that if you roll those effects from the Haunted Lands, they will probably be ignored (I wasn't sure if python setHasPromotion could override PromotionExcludes or not, but if people are reporting that Courage helps with Haunted Lands, then that must be why).

Really, I think if Sanctify could get rid of Haunted Lands, that would be a good solution... So you either need a Life I Adept or Metamagic II Mage, or be undead, or use Spirit I to avoid SOME of the effects, or avoid the Haunted Lands, or just deal with it.

There's nothing in the python code for Haunted Lands that cares about Courage (as far as I can see). But Courage does have PromotionExcludes for Shattered Nerve and Spooked. So I'm guessing that if you roll those effects from the Haunted Lands, they will probably be ignored (I wasn't sure if python setHasPromotion could override PromotionExcludes or not, but if people are reporting that Courage helps with Haunted Lands, then that must be why).

Really, I think if Sanctify could get rid of Haunted Lands, that would be a good solution... So you either need a Life I Adept or Metamagic II Mage, or be undead, or use Spirit I to avoid SOME of the effects, or avoid the Haunted Lands, or just deal with it.

Thanks for that explanation. It seems to me that Courage should work for all the effects, if it works for some.

I agree with the Sanctify spell being used, but why not just go back to 1.23 and allow Workers to 'chop' it away?

It is very hard to avoid totally. Sending a unit from point A to point B without micromanaging your move ensures you will go through it somewhere and likely get some effect. Then, there is that quirk that will force your move in Civ if there is a road nearby even if you don't want to go there...if there is HL, you go through it even if you try to avoid.

Dealing with it is another matter. Nothing pisses me off more than to have a very veteran unit (heroes are immune to HL?) get Estranged and become a barb unit just because it wandered into the HL. The 70% damage can literally be a killer too. The rest don't seem to come as often, but are also annoying.

I've actually learned to use the Haunted Lands to my advantage, namely if one of my dungeon explorers gets the plague or some other disease effect, I plant them in the Haunted Lands until they become Undead, then voila, no plague.

I've actually learned to use the Haunted Lands to my advantage, namely if one of my dungeon explorers gets the plague or some other disease effect, I plant them in the Haunted Lands until they become Undead, then voila, no plague.

Yeah, but there are a lot worse things that can happen besides becoming Undead. ;)

I mostly get Spooked, Undead, or Damaged. I only purposefully send units into the HL that are diseased in some way anyway, so if the unit is lost then I lose a crippled unit, less upkeep for me!

I mostly get Spooked, Undead, or Damaged. I only purposefully send units into the HL that are diseased in some way anyway, so if the unit is lost then I lose a crippled unit, less upkeep for me!

Well, that is one way of curing disease that I never thought of. Good to know if you are early game before you have a priest to cure it.

Wait until you get one of your top units the Estranged promotion from passing through HL. While it does have a chance of wearing off, my experience is that you have a great chance your unit going barb and losing that unit.

I thought Loyalty might be the solution, but that doesn't always work.

I've never likes the FF based Force I spell. The precept of Force has nothing to do with siege craft or mibility at all, but is about balance, moderation, and compromise. My modmod's Force I spell, Temperance, which gives a promotion of the same name that gives resistance to both holy and unholy damage, is much more appropriate. I also think that my approach of making the Mobility I and Commando promotions available to UNITCOMBAT_SIEGE is a better way of addressing the weakness of such weaponry.

No, the FF version of Force seems like the Marvel Comics version of Force. I like your idea better.

I hope that if this change is ever adopted into RifE, Accelerate can be kept as a Force I spell for Dwarves, like Repair. In my modmodmod, I've added a +50% workrate bonus to it so it's good for Mud Golems. And it is an effect that I like having in the game, and Dwarves being known for their siege makes it appropriate.

Just wondering if there's any plans to make the cualli a bit more interesting?

They're seriously lacking in UU/Bs, especially early game. Think their unique slavery civic and terraform is the only thing going for them for most of the game.

Just wondering if there's any plans to make the cualli a bit more interesting?

They're seriously lacking in UU/Bs, especially early game. Think their unique slavery civic and terraform is the only thing going for them for most of the game.

The Cualli will gain a lesser form of revolts. However, I disagree about that being all they have going for them. Their assassins are quite nice.

The Cualli will gain a lesser form of revolts. However, I disagree about that being all they have going for them. Their assassins are quite nice.

Their assassins are the same as everyone else's though, right? Therefore they're as nice for the cualli as every other civ that can build them.

Are you referring to the shadow priests? If so, then yeah, they are nice.. but they're shadow UUs and are late game...and require gems (why? you jump through enough hoops trying to get them) The normal priests of agruonn are good, and are a good divine unit for an agnostic civ (not sure why they require necromancy though). I don't have a problem with the stuff they have that currently exists :)

Other than that they don't have any other UUs (discounting javelins and swords since they seem to just be just part of being a lizard race than cualli specifically) and only one UB, which is also quite far down the tech tree.
They could just do with something earlier in the game, I just don't feel that the instant access to slavery does it for them. Some more shiny bits on the assassin/recon line wouldn't hurt either, a UU or maybe offer unique equipment/promotions to cualli recon units with different mana types or something.. :/

As a shot in the dark, Cualli might be good civ to synergize with Esus. I vaguely recall in some fantasy worlds lizard-people tend to work behind the scenes as slavers, manipulators, and generally a presence of evil.

I don't know if that is a good fit in FFH's lore, though. Some of it is already there - slavers, assassin, shadow priests - but tying it into the Esus religion is probably a step too far.

Top Bottom