• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Ideas, Requests, and Feedback

Nope. All civ-uniques come after the core units, as far as when we are implementing them.

Once we begin adding the new units (which may be very soon, as I'm making the tags we need now; the DLL is building as I type this :lol:), UUs will mostly be removed, and then readded on a civ-by-civ basis. All UUs will end up rebalanced (since all units are being changed), some may be cut, some may be added.

As for the idea itself: Not sure what I think about it, we'll see once we get to the Mechanos. :p

ALL units? In that case, I'd like to say this patch is going to be epic.:w00t:

Hey Valkrionn,

I'm just playing around with projects/rituals and it seems there is no <Help/> tag support in the info.xml. I guess that's the reason why there is so little info when mouse overing a project in RifE.
Would it be possible to add this tag in the CIV4ProjectInfo.xml file like TheLopez did it with his mod component ( http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=378673 ) ?

well, sometimes it would be usefull e.g. if you can build the natures revolt ritual and you mouse over the button in the city build list you will only see that it makes peace with the animals but you cant add more info (at least i wasnt able to).
i like it how it works with the spell xml - there you can add this mouse over info with the help tag...

Ah, but how long will it take to reach that part of the list?

/]rchon;10345185 said:
Might it be possible to get "defense/watch towers" into the game, especially for early game protection.

Essentially it'd be a unit that can never leave the city its built in, looks like a watch tower or something and is pretty much a uber archer with high end defensive bonuses and stats?

I saw something in another Civ4 mod that was similar with a defensive missile battery unit for cities and I thought it was a pretty good and clever idea.

~6 month ago i made a similar module.
one purpos of this module was to help certain players in an ongiong game so he will not die because of crazy barbarians or animals in the first few turns but without using the world builder because this will spoil the whole map and stuff and kills the fun.

with the module you are able to choose what player will get the help (#1: all human player; #2 all non barbarian AI players; #3 all non barbarian players; #4 choose certain player)

after you decided who will get the help you can choose between this:

EDIT:
well, it was easier to make a screenshot:

so, now you can choose to give all AI players or a certain AI player who is going to die in the next turn a held archer in his capital city maybe also with a fort improvement if you want. all without spoiling the map.

the module is still in beta (never finished it) but it works for this kind of situations.
i will dig it out and upload it in the next few days.

edit2:
i uploaded the module: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=10352590#post10352590

I like the newer Ring of Carcer art.

I had a recent Pangea game in Rife 1.3 ... where there was Tundra to the North (lots of it), Jungle to the south (a little) and desert in the middle (lots of it).

Well, in the middle band, other than the central desert, there was decent/good terrain, albeit broken up by some mountains.

Anyways, over the course of the game it seemed that the Civilized Nations were competing with each other for the good terrain (for both political and economic gains), while the barbarians kind of ruled the Tundra and Deserts, and would occasionally invade with a unit or two (and sometimes kill something, especially workers >.<

Well, these barbarians weren't exactly "city takers" that I'd have to worry about on a political SURVIVAL level, but still enough of a nuisance that if I wanted to reach my full economic potential of my northern cities (including capital), I'd have to send an army to clear up the north. (and build lots of fortresses).

Well, due to wars with my two southern foes, the Dural and the Bannor, my Army was otherwise occupied. Therefore, while my armies were taking over rich land from my foes, the barbarians were able to invade with impunity on small raiding parties.

Now, after I took over the good land on my side of the desert, I realized I would have to cross either the Barbarian filled tundra or the barbarian filled desert to reach the civilized nations on the other side. The world felt wild and raw, yet I didn't have to worry about being completely destroyed by the barbs.

I wonder if there is a way to expand upon this feeling? rather, this perceived pattern of barbarians congregating in the Tundra and Deserts. Perhaps barbs shouldn't be able to spawn camps and cities in goodly land? Perhaps stronger barbs can be leashed to Tundra, Desert, Jungle, or some other less-than-optimal terrain?

For instance, perhaps (the bigger)Dinosaurs can be leashed to jungles, perhaps the most powerful of Cave Bears can be leashed to the Snow and Taiga, perhaps the most notorious Desert Bandits can be leashed to desert (or perhaps unowned desert).

And then the lesser minions tearing up the country side with small raiding parties out to destroy improvments or capture workers.

I mean, it would mean that in (almost) every game (hopefully at least), there would be the constant thought of whether available military forces should be sent to kill the barbs and establish fortifications, or to kill the opposing nations.

On another note, I understand you making Catapults weaker strength away from cities, but I suggest A. taking away their city defense, B. increasing their ranged strength to at least 3 (relative), and C. having a catapults base attack larger than its base defense (again).

I played with the Organ guns, and they felt a lot more like the Catapults of old, rather than the newer type. And yes, I know its a UU, but the only thing as useful to other nations is what ... Ring of Fire, Tsunami, and Fireballs? (either one). Basically, Priesthood + Religion, or Sorcery ... equals what Mechanos get at Construction.

I'm not dissing it or anything, I like how Organ Guns are better on the field than the average Catapult, they are basically early gatling guns after all, they might as well be better on the field, and by a lot, but the increased base strength and increased ranged damage limit is enough, I think. (and +1 ranged strength). I still feel that (relatively speaking) normal catapults should have 3 ranged strength.

and yes, I know all values will be changed with your re-design of the unit structure, but I was speaking relatively.

I would never turn specific terrains into barb zones like that, particularly when we have several civs designed towards those terrains. I prefer a more emergent setup; Barbs became strong in those regions due to lack of settlement. The same applies to regions blocked off via mountains, or on different continents, etc.

As for the siege... We actually have two siege unitcombats planned. One will be along the lines of what you are saying, though they will NOT have a high attack strength.

Does sound like you had a fun game though. ;)

Hey guys I think the following ought to be removed from the game:

Dragons
Manticores
Griffins

And at least the Nature III, Sun I, Water I, and Air II spells

Spoiler :

The princess rule states that nothing that would be found in a little girl's bedroom should exist in FfH (no light and fluffy fantasy, just dark fantasy basically). A unicorn is the prime example.

It is true that ponies and unicorns and princesses could *technically* be added to dark fantasy under the customs and policies of dark fantasy.

Unfortunately, corporate media aimed at a cultural structuring of a "generic little girl" tends to characterized and theme such components into an idealized fantasy of incredible cheesy cuteness and colors that has no place in dark fantasy.

In other words, Fiery Dangerous Dragon= yes. Dragon from DragonHeart = ... maybe. Puff the Magic Dragon = no.

I could certainly see man-eating unicorns or pegasi that you could only acquire by selling either your own soul or several peasant souls to some black market "pegasi dealer" demon type person.

I would never turn specific terrains into barb zones like that, particularly when we have several civs designed towards those terrains. I prefer a more emergent setup; Barbs became strong in those regions due to lack of settlement. The same applies to regions blocked off via mountains, or on different continents, etc.

As for the siege... We actually have two siege unitcombats planned. One will be along the lines of what you are saying, though they will NOT have a high attack strength.

Does sound like you had a fun game though. ;)

Fair enough.

On another note, what about "Big Bads" with a Variable leash around a lair?

to tie into the Lair upgrade (over time) system ... Lair 1 pops out of thin air (usually at game start) and has a Medium Bad with a very tight leash.

Lair 1 turns into Lair 2 over time.

Big Bad pops up when lair becomes "Lair 2". Big Bad has a longer leash and more variable leash. Medium Bad doesn't go away, its just that Big Bad is more dangerous and can travel farther from nest.

Lair 2 (sometimes) might turn into a Lair 3 (over a considerable amount of time).

Once Lair 3 is created from L2, a "Super Bad" pops up, that practically sits atop its lair. (with maybe a 1 tile leash)

Therefore, the short leash on tier 1 prevents a leash from being too long and possibly intersect a Settler Starting Position. However, the Tier 2 will provide increased danger and incentive to kill the lair. Then, Tier 3 will represent a fully matured lair (relatively) that is near impossible (or very hard) to destroy. Due to its proximity to the Superbad. Maybe even a Tier 3 lair could need a separate spell to destroy it, allowing you to need 2 turns to kill a tier 3 lair (all but necessitating either killing the super bad or bringing at least 3 units to the location. [at bare minimum])

Also, perhaps minion lair spawns (like Skeleton Warriors, Lions, Wolves, etc) could have a 5% chance [some low percentage] to be leashed to the lair, yet at a good radius, say 10- 15 tiles or so. While the rest roam freely. (assuming all minions have the ability to enter cultural borders of civilized nations).

Another interesting thought, although I'm not sure how easy or difficult it would be, would be for Big Bads, or at least Super Bads, to have a low-medium % chance to gain the "crazed" promotion if a Civilized unit where to attack it. ergo, Civ A's warrior attacks the dragon. Dragon gains crazed. 10 turns later Dragon gains enraged promotion and exits its leashed zone to attack the city. After killing a spearman, Dragon returns to its leash zone ... but now its crazed so it will start doing this regularly ... further requiring the civ to now really exert itself to kill the Dragon nest, or to simply ignore it and feed it fodder troops.

But either way, an attack upon the Dragon's nest (or, well, the Dragon specifically) caused it to be angered, and semi-regularly go out for a destruction fest.

Alternatively, instead of crazed it could be a new promotion which has a small % chance of wearing off and applies the enraged promotion (or something to exit the leash and be aggressive) more frequently (yet still random.)

If you're still with us, I'd like to hear your ideas about my ideas. Thank you.

Hey guys I think the following ought to be removed from the game:

Dragons
Manticores
Griffins

And at least the Nature III, Sun I, Water I, and Air II spells

Spoiler :

Obviously the rule is applied selectively. There is a difference between something vicious looking and a typical unicorn.

Show me a black unicorn with flaming hoofs, fangs, blood-drenched horn, and we may have one in game.

It is true that ponies and unicorns and princesses could *technically* be added to dark fantasy under the customs and policies of dark fantasy.

Unfortunately, corporate media aimed at a cultural structuring of a "generic little girl" tends to characterized and theme such components into an idealized fantasy of incredible cheesy cuteness and colors that has no place in dark fantasy.

In other words, Fiery Dangerous Dragon= yes. Dragon from DragonHeart = ... maybe. Puff the Magic Dragon = no.

I could certainly see man-eating unicorns or pegasi that you could only acquire by selling either your own soul or several peasant souls to some black market "pegasi dealer" demon type person.

Right.

Fair enough.

On another note, what about "Big Bads" with a Variable leash around a lair?

to tie into the Lair upgrade (over time) system ... Lair 1 pops out of thin air (usually at game start) and has a Medium Bad with a very tight leash.

Lair 1 turns into Lair 2 over time.

Big Bad pops up when lair becomes "Lair 2". Big Bad has a longer leash and more variable leash. Medium Bad doesn't go away, its just that Big Bad is more dangerous and can travel farther from nest.

Lair 2 (sometimes) might turn into a Lair 3 (over a considerable amount of time).

Once Lair 3 is created from L2, a "Super Bad" pops up, that practically sits atop its lair. (with maybe a 1 tile leash)

Therefore, the short leash on tier 1 prevents a leash from being too long and possibly intersect a Settler Starting Position. However, the Tier 2 will provide increased danger and incentive to kill the lair. Then, Tier 3 will represent a fully matured lair (relatively) that is near impossible (or very hard) to destroy. Due to its proximity to the Superbad. Maybe even a Tier 3 lair could need a separate spell to destroy it, allowing you to need 2 turns to kill a tier 3 lair (all but necessitating either killing the super bad or bringing at least 3 units to the location. [at bare minimum])

Also, perhaps minion lair spawns (like Skeleton Warriors, Lions, Wolves, etc) could have a 5% chance [some low percentage] to be leashed to the lair, yet at a good radius, say 10- 15 tiles or so. While the rest roam freely. (assuming all minions have the ability to enter cultural borders of civilized nations).

Another interesting thought, although I'm not sure how easy or difficult it would be, would be for Big Bads, or at least Super Bads, to have a low-medium % chance to gain the "crazed" promotion if a Civilized unit where to attack it. ergo, Civ A's warrior attacks the dragon. Dragon gains crazed. 10 turns later Dragon gains enraged promotion and exits its leashed zone to attack the city. After killing a spearman, Dragon returns to its leash zone ... but now its crazed so it will start doing this regularly ... further requiring the civ to now really exert itself to kill the Dragon nest, or to simply ignore it and feed it fodder troops.

But either way, an attack upon the Dragon's nest (or, well, the Dragon specifically) caused it to be angered, and semi-regularly go out for a destruction fest.

Alternatively, instead of crazed it could be a new promotion which has a small % chance of wearing off and applies the enraged promotion (or something to exit the leash and be aggressive) more frequently (yet still random.)

If you're still with us, I'd like to hear your ideas about my ideas. Thank you.

Your lair suggestion is essentially how it works now. Only difference being the second guardian would have a variable leash, rather than a set one.

Minion spawns being leashed.... Not sure how I feel about that.

Enraged does not let them out of a leash, and I would not want to set it up that way.

Oh I see. So leashed units never escape the leash? my idea for the neo-enraged promo was for it to be a temporary release from the leash, to be re-leashed once the neo-enraged promo is removed.

still, I suppose perma-leash is best. Although it would be nice if Acheron went on like a 20 turn rampage or so after a failed assault on himself or his city.

Question: is Acheron's leash removed once you destroy his city? (and steal the dragon's Hoard)

Or ... is the leash technically on the Dragon's Hoard itself? (so Acheron would chase the army that was carrying it away) ^_^

It would be possible to unleash/releash (well, leash remains, you just drop the range enough that it goes negative), I just don't want to do it.

Acheron is meant to be unleashed if captured, but there is an issue with variable length leashes being removed (still need to fix that...). He is leashed to the plot, so he'll remain even when the city is captured, but it's actually possible to have units leashed to other units now.... So it would be quite possible to have him leashed to the Hoard. Even if captured.

I personally think it'd be kind of nice if he was leashed to the hoard. Both the building and the unit. Not sure how to handle that transition though.

Top Bottom