1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Ideas, Requests, and Feedback

Discussion in 'Rise from Erebus Modmod' started by Valkrionn, Jul 31, 2010.

1. Valkrionn

Valkrionn The Hamster King

The Hamstalfar are optional (and being redone as Gyldalfar in any case, just elves), and Bombie was a contest winner.

2. arcticnightwolf

arcticnightwolf Emperor

maybe we could add the contest winner heroes as one separate module, and when someone doesn't like them, then they just disable them

3. bill2505

bill2505 King

i didnt say disable them.for example bombie the zobie more or less with some tweaks will be perfect http://i.imgur.com/fELCW.png

but the name sucks.another hero in the competition had a very good name “Lathos the Banished.what i am asking when you add things make them blend with the game atmosphere

4. Valkrionn

Not gonna happen; A contest winner is a contest winner, IMO. Becomes a sacred cow.

5. Tasunke

Tasunke Crazy Horse

So ... im gonna guess no name-change?

6. Valkrionn

7. Krieger66

Krieger66 Lord of all things necro

The name is supposed to be funny, and who can say what name wouldn't fit with the mod? I'm sure some leaders added to RiFE in the beginning might not have fit with the Fall from Heaven setting either, yet you don't seem to be complaining about that. So unless you have a list of feasible names for the setting of RiFE I really don't think you have the right to tear apart the work of a guy based purely on the aesthetic value of his unit's name.

8. Tasunke

Tasunke Crazy Horse

can I get a link to a description of bombie the zombie from the Rife wiki?

also, what were the qualities that were looked for in the contest?

9. Valkrionn

10. Tasunke

Tasunke Crazy Horse

Bloodwing ... shiny .... :)

(It would be cool for a recon unit "with Subdue Beast" to be able to combine with a captured drake to become a dragon rider)

new unit would be Mounted/beast? (or just mounted) ... lose all subdue promotions, keep dragon race, and keep all other promotions owned by both rider and drake.

For 1.4 ... probably a strength between Tier 3 and Tier 4 (a bit stronger than horse archers, for sure)

->Dragon Breath, Fear, 4 moves+flying, sentry I and 2 (likely), and maybe a bonus to mounted and melee unitcombat (and possibly a weakness to archers/ranged attacks)

11. Valkrionn

We have different plans for drakes that do not resemble the above remarks.

12. Tasunke

Tasunke Crazy Horse

hehehe

13. Krieger66

I agree with you on the stupid hamster elf civ though, but to be completely honest with you, I don't really see a coherent game atmosphere anywhere.

14. Valkrionn

And as has been said, they will be rewrought as the Gyldalfar, Golden Elves.

15. bill2505

bill2505 King

i didnt know that this was a funny mod rather a serous one

16. CyberForte

CyberForte Chieftain

Funny and serious need not be unable to coexist, and the contest would suggest that the concept had a good deal of player approval. If it bothers you so much, it's really not hard to edit your own copy to have a different name, you know. Personally I'm not a fan either, but you seem rather hostile in your objection when it's an easily remedied problem in all honesty.
    -CF

17. Nor'easter

Nor'easter Emperor

There's plenty of humor in the mod, actually: the three Hill Giants you get with Pact of the Nilhorn are named Moe, Larry, and Curly; several Great People (mainly Great Engineers, I think) have names that are anagrams of Muppet names; the icons for the Religion and Social Order civics come from Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

18. Krieger66

It can still be serious, even if it does have some humorous parts peppered through it; many games have a few things put into them just to be a sort of break from the serious aspect. Like the Giant Death robot in Civ V, most of the side quests in the fable series, a certain leader entry that is taken from the "wherever I may Roam(metallica)" lyrics, etc.

19. CyberForte

CyberForte Chieftain

For that matter, let's not forget the entire Balseraph civilization, which pretty much personifies "funny but still serious." Keelyn has a balor named Giggles. Funny? Yes. Serious? Balors do tend to be pretty serious. Especially if you happen to be on the wrong side of one. And didn't Keelyn summon Hyborem in her games in the scenarios and make him attend a tea party? Can't recall that well. <.<; But funny is far from unprecedented.

And if you read the 'pedia entry submitted along with Bombie, he's hardly a laughing matter either, no matter how funny his name may seem. And honestly, even though I'm glad for the removal of the hamsters, once I got past that mental block, the civ itself had minimal presence of them and plenty of entirely serious aspects. If they're such an issue in the time before 1.4, you can always use "Restrict Random Civilizations."

20. Tasunke

Tasunke Crazy Horse

Yea ... if for nothing else, the 3 Hill Giants are reason enough for not changing the name of the contest winner.