IGN - Empires of the Smoky Skies preview

Can someone please answer this question it seems this scenario is made by mod who change the late tech tree and start at a late start and olso give new leaders?

My question is can I enable the scenario (mod section enable the mod that the scenario uses ) and select my own map(pangeau oval and so on) at single player?

The scenario will most likely be considered a mod (like all other scenarios, they can be enabled/disabled via the Mod menu) but it is made by the developers, just to have it out there.

The Empire of the Smoky Sky uses a custom map script anyway (based on the fact that all maps shown are diffrent) I do not know if there are many types of maps to choose from or only one, because Polynesia has the choice of Randomized Small Islands/Archipelago, and South Pacific one.

Can someone please answer this question it seems this scenario is made by mod who change the late tech tree and start at a late start and olso give new leaders?

My question is can I enable the scenario (mod section enable the mod that the scenario uses ) and select my own map(pangeau oval and so on) at single player?

For most mods (that don't have a specific historical context), you can use any map script. This is true even when different resources are used. So I'm guessing that this will be true for the Smoky Skies scenario.

The AI did not look too impressive. First it moved its airship to a tile between two enemy units. I am not sure why it did that, other than to say the AI passes Shirk goes on about, did not seem to work out too well. :(

I'll take a wait-and-see approach on AI.

However, that airship clearly violated ZOC, moving through 2 tiles adjacent to an enemy and still having movement. I forgot: do Civ5 helicopters do that? Or is this something new?

I'll take a wait-and-see approach on AI.

However, that airship clearly violated ZOC, moving through 2 tiles adjacent to an enemy and still having movement. I forgot: do Civ5 helicopters do that? Or is this something new?

I never used helicopters. I did have one in a previous game, but it got destroyed before I could use it. So, I am curious about that too.

About the AI it is hard to determine from a demo. I am not sure how all this works, but is the final version AI in the demo, or is that saved for the complete version of the XP?

Hong Kong and Cahokia are confirmed as Mercantile City-States (at least in the scenario, @ 6:40). Have we seen them before?

I do hope that Cahokia is also in the base game. More Native American cultures are definitely a good thing.

Cahokia was not seen before in any shot. And yes it is nice to have another city state in the Americas at all. Its the only native City State though, which is just crazy if you think about it.

As some have pointed out there are so many great choices for City States in the Americas, primarily of the various Mesoamerican cultures that produced unique cultures, warfare, religion etc. in single cities.

Tula, El Tajin, Tenayuca, etc.

Yeah. We knew about Hong Kong. Cahokia is new though, and pretty exciting to me. A City-State from right here where I live.

Yeah, I'm not all that excited about this one either. It looks a bit incomplete, with only the units and leaderheads being in-theme. The other two seem much more interesting.

where is cahokia

Southern Illinois. I live in Central IL, and we have a mound from the Mississipian culture just down the river from here. It's pretty cool to think that some unrecorded, barely known civ is buried right under our feet.

Some people have an imagination.

Different strokes for different folks, buddy. Some people aren't big steampunk fans, some people are. Some people like fantasy, some people like sci-fi, some people don't. It has nothing to do with having an imagination; it has everything to do with the way you like to use it and the aesthetic you prefer. Come off that high horse and learn to play nice with others, whydontcha.

Some people have an imagination.
:rolleyes:
Different strokes for different folks, buddy. Some people aren't big steampunk fans, some people are. Some people like fantasy, some people like sci-fi, some people don't. It has nothing to do with having an imagination; it has everything to do with the way you like to use it and the aesthetic you prefer. Come off that high horse and learn to play nice with others, whydontcha.
Good idea.
As I have said, it looks incomplete, with only the units and leaderheads being steampunk themes.

Anyone able to catch the new social policy names and effects?

Personally I'm interested in this scenario, I think it will be reasonably paced so it wont take a full week to complete, actually it's gonna be the first scenario for me to try after a couple of games of normal stuff.

Different strokes for different folks, buddy.

Which also means the folks who just pop in to say "I don't get Steampunk" aren't exactly being constructive, either. If you don't like it, it's a scenario and you don't have to play it. No need to whine.

I think it's neat that the Devs clearly put a lot of care into this. I'll give it a try sometime...should be fun.

I'm looking forward to trying this out. I think the victory condition for it sounds more interesting than the base game.

Top Bottom