Illians and Snow

Right. And pardon me if this is presumptuous, but when the conversation turns to discussion of changing things it stops being entirely about lore. When changing something, the first thing to ask is this- is the current system in need of changing, given that fun and balance trump flavor? How complicated would a new system be and how would that compare to its added utility? It's only my opinion, of course, but I think the Illians are fine from a pure balance point of view and altering their mechanics to better suit lore would be damaging on some level to their gameplay (if nothing else due to increased complexity). Maybe your opinion differs.

Anyway, that's my explanation for bringing up balance in the lore forum. :)

When someone feels that something does not fit the game lorewise, or it feels weird lorewise, I think it is a good thing if he has a proposition on how, in his opinion, it could be made so that it fits the lore, instead of just saying "I think it does not fit the lore, period".
The team can evaluate these propositions and decide if there is a reason for changing anything, or perhaps, think about a lore that could fit the current mechanics in a convincing way :)

Huh, I had always wrote it off as the Illians being smart enough to dig beneath the permafrost and having domesticated lichen-based vegetation during their period under Mulcarn. Caves (except for a few rare ice tunnels) naturally regulate their own temperature quite nicely, augment that even minimally with some magic and you have a quite believable sustenance even in frozen wastelands (and actually somewhat ideal in frozen wastelands as the earth naturally shores itself by being a near-solid block of ice above your head instead of thousands of crumbly-bits waiting to crush you)

Jeez, that's like asking how Canadians live. There really are a lot of things that grow in winter - they just tend not to taste very good.

Jeez, that's like asking how Canadians live. There really are a lot of things that grow in winter - they just tend not to taste very good.

Off topic: Exactly! I've lived for 18 years up here in Northern Ontario-o-o-o-o, and we've increased the avereage life expexansy to a whoping 42!;) Not to mention, we even have electricity (and computers) in our igloos!::p

On Topic: I agree with Xienwolf, I figure they are just smart enought to figure out how to get food.

I think that Illian "snowfield" is a lot colder than Canadian lands...

I mean seriously, Illian land is a wasteland like the Arctics, you can't grow anything there. IT'S ICE! If they have a crop that can withstand Frrrrrrrrrrrrreeezing temperature from Mulcarn than it is possile that they can build farm, but how in Erebus (Ok, so its apparently possible in Erebus but, how) do they get +2 food from it? Hunt, store food, and be smart seems a good reason, but than ice should only give +1 food. Those have their limits compared to a real grassland.If they can get +2 food from ice tiles, shouldn't they also get +2 from any tiles (except possibly desert)? Only good arguement that I can think of against this is that they grow fat and lazy from harvesting too much food but seriously...

Maybe I strayed a bit too much from the Lore side of this forum. This forum seems to have that kind of effect on people.

"do not look at the man behind the curtain" Word of God

A wizard does it (Sarda)

I think snow should also allow river commerce, and that winterborn allows double movement in snow and possibly tundra (skiis or Mulcarn's blessing or wolf sleds or somesuch) Also to allow white hand to be rebuildable if all 3 winter priests die (which most likely wont happen unless Illians are losing) This is what I propose

in a completely unrelated event, my Illians managed to defeat a massive orc invasion with little to no preparation. I believe that could create lore in of itself ... and that any unit on the map that kills 20 of any particular unit autogains slaying of that unit type. Maybe OP, but I think it would be thematically nifty. (err... not including barbs of course. Only meant the Clan of Embers)

Top Bottom