I'm not a scientist man!

Ziggy Stardust

Absolutely Sane
http://news.yahoo.com/creationism-c...ican-2016-contenders-180354094--politics.html

Well, I’m not a scientist either. But you don’t have to be one to recognize what is and isn’t science. These mumbling idiots, as the article claims, either don’t want to alienate their base or … they really believe this crap.

And for someone who may possibly be in the driver’s seat in 4 years I find their disconnect towards accepted scientific theories disconcerting.

Lets review their reasoning:

Mark Rubio
"I'm not a scientist, man."

That’s fine man, I also notice you’re not an economist. I will keep that in mind.

Rubio gets two, since he also provided this gem:
"And for me, personally, I don't want a school system that teaches kids that what they're learning at home is wrong."

Xenu will be glad to hear that.

Chris Christie
"That's none of your business"

I’m sorry :(

Bobby Jindal
"I don't want any facts or theories or explanations to be withheld from [my children] because of political correctness"

This one is rich, it seems to be clear reasoning not to mind offending YEC’s and sticking to science in a class that teaches the science Biology. But all of a sudden science equals politically correct.

This is indeed Political Correctness gone mad.

Rand Paul
"I forgot to say I was only taking easy questions"

So, “how old is the Earth” is a complicated question. I bet this guy is really stumped on questions on complex issues like the economy.

Scientists are the priests of the Global Warming Faith.

For the record, Mitt Romney actually accepted the science of evolution and opposed the teaching of so-called "intelligent design" theory in science classrooms when he was governor of Massachusetts. That puts him to the left of some of the men potentially vying to be his replacement on the ticket in four years.

Accepting scientific evidence moves you towards the left-wing in US politics? :crazyeye:

On the one hand, you have science and scientists, beavering away observing the world and coming up with hypotheses which other scientists can challenge.

And on the other, you have people who aren't scientists sitting in their armchairs saying it's all nonsense, or maybe the truth can be found in some books written thousands of years ago.

Which of these two groups should I go with? Hmmmm. Bit of a puzzle, isn't it, Quackers?

That’s fine man, I also notice you’re not an economist. I will keep that in mind.

/everythreadaboutevolutionever

That's a fantastic gem. Thanks!

So, “how old is the Earth” is a complicated question. I bet this guy is really stumped on questions on complex issues like the economy.

It's a complicated question because the Earth hasn't actually been created yet. 6,000 years? Nah man, we're *just about* to be created. Right now we are just living in a pre-created state, while God runs through all the tests and checks required before reality becomes reality.

We are truly living in glorious times. Praise the Lord!

I can get the pandering to the base and typical positioning crap these guys do, but it's doubly shameful they aren't even mentioning the idea of geological time. At least acknowledge it exists. :(

I thought Marco Rubio was supposed to be a "rising star" of the GOP. Given this, what makes him different from any of the rest.

Sometimes I wonder if they put up an openly scientific literate into the spotlight if they wouldn't be pleasantly surprised by voter reaction.

And for me, personally, I don't want a school system that teaches kids that what they're learning at home is wrong.

He would prefer for the kids not to know that it's wrong?

I love weasel sentences like this. He won't say that he thinks the stuff taught in school is incorrect, nor will he say that he thinks that children who are taught crazy niche theories at the home should be taught consensus theories at school. Instead he says something stupid.

Science and politics should be separate.

Next thing you know republican politicians will struggle to answer "complicated" questions like "do you believe the earth orbits the sun?" and "is the earth flat?"

I thought Marco Rubio was supposed to be a "rising star" of the GOP. Given this, what makes him different from any of the rest.
Marco Rubio is the rising star of the GOP not because he's different, but because he's exactly the same plus a Hispanic background.

A healthy bit of racism thrown in there for you all...
If anything it's the GOP that is racist if they think they can sell the same crap to minorities in a supposedly more appealing package.

If anything it's the GOP that is racist if they think they can sell the same crap to minorities in a supposedly more appealing package.

They look at how minorities voted for Obama and seem to think its simply because he is a minority and not because his policies line up well with their beliefs.

So, they're damned if they have a minority in the party, from a group that is traditionally Repub (Cubans)... and damned if they don't.

I'm a cynic... but you're being ridiculous.

I don't necessarily like Rubio's stances, way to right wing for me, but he's charismatic, smart, energetic, etc... maybe, just maybe, he's liked for that rather than his potential to be exploited?

So, they're damned if they have a minority in the party, from a group that is traditionally Repub (Cubans)... and damned if they don't.

I'm a cynic... but you're being ridiculous.

I don't necessarily like Rubio's stances, way to right wing for me, but he's charismatic, smart, energetic, etc... maybe, just maybe, he's liked for that rather than his potential to be exploited?
I have posted a one-liner, what do you expect? Half a dozen footnotes to prevent misinterpretations like that?

The point was that Rubio is politically not very different from many other Republican politicians. It may be his charisma or smarts (funny that you bring this up in the context of this thread), but he's not really the only one who that applies to (except, again, in the smarts aspect, see the subject of this topic).

Republican strategists and conservative journalists are talking about how Rubio would open up new demographics all the time. I just brought these thoughts up in my previous comment as the likeliest explanation why so many Republicans expect great things from him. And there's really nothing wrong with that per se (although, as I said, I don't think it'll be worth much if it's not followed by some substance). It's you who brought racism into the discussion.

Top Bottom