1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

ImmacuNES III: Post-Apocalyptic Fantasy

Discussion in 'Never Ending Stories' started by Immaculate, Mar 24, 2010.

1. hbar

hbar Constant

Hey, welcome Darksaber! Good to have another lurker join the fun.

2. Seon

Seon Not An Evil Liar

Darksaber, we need to discuss plans. NOW.

Do you have MSN, btw?

3. Seon

Seon Not An Evil Liar

Darksaber, perhaps a discussion about the undead is necessary?

4. Immaculate

Immaculate unerring

So, here comes the nerf bat. It affects everyone starting NEXT turn.

1) trade goods produced from plantations and commercial mines are no longer affected by the fertility or productivity of the tile. If coffee grows on mountains, it shouldn't be affected negatively for not being on lowland. same for diamonds in arctic plains- just look at Canadian diamonds near yellowknife.

2) the fertility/productivity of a tile will produce only X^.75 of the value it once did. This will have the effect of reducing the massive bonus certain players are experiencing from being surrounded by rivers and much better terrain then others. I know some of you will be hit by this harder then others but those are also the players that due to random luck during placement that got really good starting spots. Be happy its not retroactive and enjoy the bonus you got for 6 turns already.

3) the last one was developed by an outsider (who will remain nameless so you don't all hate him)
    so thats what we'll do.

and a bonus:

1) foundries, black-smithies, mills, lighthouses and workshops will get a bonus. i havn't figured out how to code the effect i want though, so the exact mechanics of the bonus are not yet figured out yet.

5. Ekolite

Ekolite The Mighty Jungle

Ouch.

Seems to me that good terrain should be much better then bad terrain. That's why it's good terrain.

6. Immaculate

Immaculate unerring

it still is MUCH better.... just not grotesquely so.

ekolite, we had a player who figured out how to go from 10g to 100g in 4 turns. something had to be done.

7. Tyrs

Tyrs King

Hmm. Well, as one of those people who didn't get awesome starting terrain and a horde of trade goods... I can't really complain too much, haha. And no. I'm not clever enough to notice something like that formula do-hicky, so "not it" on the whistler.

8. Ekolite

How was that done? Involving high population trade goods resource improvements and markets?

9. Immaculate

Immaculate unerring

yup

trade was overpowered. good thing we weren't into it too heavily (yet). the effect will be to still give a good bonus for developing it but also give a bit of diminishing returns compared to what was originaly designed.

10. Ekolite

Well why should that affect the hammer and food output of fertility and ore? Seems like the problem us with trade..?

11. Immaculate

Immaculate unerring

extrapolate your stats to turn 12. you could buy every unit on the list in one turn (if you had the research done).

i'm not trying to diminish the differences between strong and weak nations. they will both be affected RELATIVELY equally. the difference will be between each successive turns; its meant to slow player progression a bit.

12. Kyzarc Fotjage

Kyzarc Fotjage Rise Up

Ah, I was wondering why I wasn't getting the 50 hammers that applying my orders to last turn's stats predicted. Could you redo the census thingy since all that information just got heavily reduced?

13. Immaculate

Immaculate unerring

the stats you got do not yet reflect the changes proposed. if you are missing hammers (or anything else), its because i made a mistake. Please point out what you think i forgot and i can try to either explain the difference or fix it. i do make (many) mistakes.

14. Ekolite

In which case you might want to consider adjusting prices and not resources in the future. That way it really will be fair on all players.

15. hbar

hbar Constant

I disagree with this. Shifting prices just moves from "The rich can buy everything" to "only the rich can buy anything". The difference between 10g and 100g is not something that can be smoothed over with price adjustment. If a unit of spearmen costs 10g, player A can buy one and player B can buy 10. If a unit of heavy spearmen costs 100g, player A is screwed and player B is not.

16. Immaculate

Immaculate unerring

prices do not scale up quickly enough - i agree.... this may be something else to look at. i had considered this. maybe i should look at it again.

the solution considered for the plantations/commercial mines may not work as easily as i had considered. i need to crunch more numbers

17. hbar

hbar Constant

Can we get a hard number or example of this? I'd like to know how much my industries are worth before I invest in them.

Is this as simple a change as placing a '^0.75' after wherever fertility and/or ore show up in the yield calculator?

Again, any chance we can get a peek at what you're planning so we can decry the unfairness of it all? :goodjob:

These changes taken together kind of crush my economy - on the other hand, I wouldn't want your job of balancing everything in the first place. So long as it makes the game more fun, I'm all for changes.

18. Immaculate

Immaculate unerring

okay, i need to play with numbers a lot more

everything i said is not rule yet.

All i can say for now is that there WILL be changes. i will post a new template for people to play with and hopefully i can send you new stats. Remember, none of these changes come into play this turn anyway.

19. Darksaber1

Darksaber1 Secret Emperor

OOC: No, I don't have MSN, but a planning session via PM would be very useful. I can't say more at this time, as I don't have my stats yet.

20. Immaculate

Immaculate unerring

you should have your stats now.

EDIT: i sent them to the 'ontera' address.