ImmacuNES III: Post-Apocalyptic Fantasy

So "assuming" I have a navy.
Assuming my city cultural reach reaches over sea.
Can I build improvements and "slingshot" army over sea without having to use navy unit to transport people?

one tile or so, yes.

its worth noting that enemy ships could potentially prevent this however. its assumed that the traffic would be performed by local non-military ferries and merchant/fishing vessels.

Welcome back Hbar! hope you had fun camping!!!

Yeah, it was a blast. Southern Utah is so much more beautiful then I thought. (On the other hand, Northwestern Utah is just as terrifyingly desolate as I imagined.)

Diplo trickling in today. I have a lot of work to catch up on.

To the Nations of Barsaive:

Rumors of war and foul magic have reached us across the great seas. Though these tidings are troubling, they do not concern the Trollkyn. If the pinklings need to be killed twice, then all the more glory to be had. If, however, a single troll warrior is brought back from the Crystal Plains, denied his place in the Vallhals of Mul'kjrn's vault, we will come at you with a fury you cannot imagine.

The other tidings brought by our merchants trouble me deeply. Going into our Kaers, we knew as we closed the doors where the locus of power lay, and there are many who seem to have forgotten that. Although the Patrians have not returned in force to Barsaive, know that they will, and they will be stronger than you can imagine. We of the Twilight Peaks will never forget the atrocities of the Patrian Behemoth (OOC: See first page, Age of Elements), and we will never let it happen again. Know this - no nation can befriend Patria while counting us as allies. No nation can trade with Patria and expect to receive our merchants. Any nation who wars with Patria can expect our aid, and any nation who houses Patrian soldiers can expect our wrath.

The puppet-king Perpentach will never again tie his strings around Barsaive.

-Queen Sjörå Bald'r, Matriarch of the Scions of Twilight

I've found quite a few irregularities in the spreadsheet "Buildable" column in the City shopping list. A few examples: Barracks req. arcane>1, Blacksmith require C&M greater than 1, Agora req. pop >1, etc.

I'll be looking at the actual requirement page from now on - just wanted to let you know.

You should all be aware of this.

=IF(('Building Requirements'!$F11-1)<'Faction Overview'!$D$20,(IF(('Building Requirements'!$G11-1)<'Faction Overview'!$D$21,(IF(('Building Requirements'!$H11-1)<'Faction Overview'!$D$22,(IF(('Building Requirements'!$I11-1)<'Faction Overview'!$D$23,(IF(('Building Requirements'!$J11-1)<'Faction Overview'!$D$24,(IF(('Building Requirements'!$K11-1)<'Faction Overview'!$D$25,(IF(('Building Requirements'!$L11-1)<'Faction Overview'!$D$26,(IF(('Building Requirements'!$M11-1)<'Faction Overview'!$D$27,"Yes","No")),"No")),"No")),"No")),"No")),"No")),"No")),"No")

This is the current set up i have for a 'look-up' of whether or not a building is 'buildable' but i can't seem to get it to look for whether not the city has the requisite population.

So i am opening the floor to the minds of the often very intelligent players. if you can edit the 'code' above to include looking up the city's population, i'll give one of your leaders (your choice) +1 brains.

I know this is a little "meta" but i can't seem to get it to work and i got a lot frustrated.

The „most fertile daughter“ was looked at the knife she hold in her right hand. It had a short but sharp blade. Sharper than everything post-scourge blacksmiths could produce. Even though it was an old knife already, a gift from Amakush. In possession of her highest shamaness since generations. The “daughters knife”, even sharper than the “sons axe”, not build to cut throats or smash skulls but to make clean cuts. It had been used too cut the umbilical cords of legions of kharkusian babies.
And just some moments ago it had proved again to be a divine tool to cut through the belly of pregnant women who where not able to give birth in a natural way. Normally this was a bloody business. And performed with a average dagger it mostly meant that the women would not survive the surgery. A sacrifice a true believer of Amakush is willing to make. Because the life of the new born child was surely more holy than that of the mother. But how much greater it was to make a clean cut to take out the child and see the mothers womb close and heal by divine magic. So that she could give birth to more children in future.
She cleaned of the knife, with fresh water and a white peace of cloth. Looking at the mother a new though came into her mind.

That mother just gave birth to six strong boys, which was the reason why they had to be cut out. Six boys, this was surely a blessing from Amakush so much fertility. But there was one problem about it. A problem which was quite usual in Kharkusia: there was no known father to the children nor a partner who would supply the mother with food.
The point is that that marriage or even long time partnerships are, even though they do exist, rather unusual in kharkusian society. Most men live in packs or just fight for them selfs while most women are living in flocks of women. So mostly men and women are just meeting for an occasional mating.
This is tradition, and it is good as it is, but with the growing society there came some problems. Some women, like this mother of six, where not really part of a womens flock, so they did not have the means and backing to raise their children.
The temple of Amakush was helping them as good as possible, but their resources and space where limited, so something had to be done outside the temple.

This is how and why within the temple of Amakush the idea was born to build almshouses for those mothers which where blessed so much by the goddess of fertility that they could not raise their children on their own.

cool story. good reasoning.

The ritual to find the new “most fertile daughter” was a ancient one. Performed by her precursor in solitude. She left the town and the temple behind for nearly one month to meditate on her own. The only allowed visitors was the current “strongest son” who brought her food and did his part as a mating partner.
He was not allowed to talk with anyone about what he witnessed down there. But what he saw confused his simple mind. The grand shamaness was sitting in the light of a small candle carving patterns into her own skin with the divine knife from Amakush.
Once he asked her what this carving mean, but she did not know at the time. She just felt the craving to do so from time to time.
Just when the time of solitude was over and she left the cave she was able to read what it said. Now it all made sense to her. It was like a map, a guide to show her which woman was carrying the next most fertile daughter in her womb.

So she was lead to a small hut in the farming area of Kharkusia where a young women was carrying the gift of Amakush within herself. Three more month they had to wait until the birth was performed. And first they where puzzled because that woman gave birth to two children. But after rereading the carvings on her skin she realized that it was Amakushs will that there will be a second daughter from now on. One to be the governess of Kharkush, one to lead the acoytes of Amakush.
This is how the position of the “second daughter” was born.

This is the current set up i have for a 'look-up' of whether or not a building is 'buildable' but i can't seem to get it to look for whether not the city has the requisite population.

So i am opening the floor to the minds of the often very intelligent players. if you can edit the 'code' above to include looking up the city's population, i'll give one of your leaders (your choice) +1 brains.

I know this is a little "meta" but i can't seem to get it to work and i got a lot frustrated.

Is the problem that Excel gives a message saying there are too many levels of nesting in the allowed format? Because that's what I'm getting.

Is the problem that Excel gives a message saying there are too many levels of nesting in the allowed format? Because that's what I'm getting.

No, for me it just says the formula is wrong.

I was thinking, to get around that problem, we could put the current code at the end of the ‘building restrictions’ tab and return 1 for possible and 0 for impossible (instead of “yes” and “no”). Then have a second formula to look and see if that is 1 or 0 (and return no if zero and to perform an “if” function to look for population if 1).

But I couldn’t get that to work either.

No, for me it just says the formula is wrong.

I was thinking, to get around that problem, we could put the current code at the end of the ‘building restrictions’ tab and return 1 for possible and 0 for impossible (instead of “yes” and “no”). Then have a second formula to look and see if that is 1 or 0 (and return no if zero and to perform an “if” function to look for population if 1).

But I couldn’t get that to work either.

This almost works...
=IF(('Building Requirements'!$E10-1)<Cities!$F$44,IF(TRUE=AND(('Building Requirements'!$F10-1)<'Faction Overview'!$D$20,('Building Requirements'!$G10-1)<'Faction Overview'!$D$21),IF(TRUE=AND(('Building Requirements'!$H10-1)<'Faction Overview'!$D$22,('Building Requirements'!$I10-1)<'Faction Overview'!$D$23),IF(TRUE=AND(('Building Requirements'!$J10-1)<'Faction Overview'!$D$24,('Building Requirements'!$K10-1)<'Faction Overview'!$D$25),IF(TRUE=AND(('Building Requirements'!$L10-1)<'Faction Overview'!$D$26,('Building Requirements'!$M10-1)<'Faction Overview'!$D$27),"Yes","No"),"No"),"No"),"No"),"No")
I get the right behavior for almost all of the buildings, but Elder Council and Granary return #VALUE! for some reason. I tested four buildings by changing my techs and population to below the threshold, and then increasing them until it said yes. If you resolve the Elder Council and Granary issue, then I'd recommend testing a few on your end just to be sure - if there's one thing I learned from my CS classes, its that the worst bugs stay hidden until you turn in your assignment :D

I think i got around the #value error. i'll give your code a try tonight.

thanks hbar.

EDIT: Thanks Hbar- it works great. want a building that makes +1 brains or your leader to get +1 brains?

To The Last Hippus:
He nations of the Palitanate and Kraz-Ke-Mekan have decided that the Magic Banner will become property of the Palintanate, and the magic Armour and Falcon will become property of the Kraz-Ke-Mecka.
-Grand-Engineer Mechzha dhes-Chreska-Phavia

To the Nations of Barsaive:
We are saddened by the loss of life in the East, and hope that peace may be restored. War can only lead to loss, never gain. We hope that the leaders of the warring nations can understand this, and hope they understand the pain that only those who have lost that which they love feel. Remember that it is not the rulers of a nation that suffer, but the families of those who are ordered to die.

We are also upset by the Dark Magics being used in this war. Death is natural, but this Necrothuergic magic is a perversion of the natural order. It is also a tool, but like a damaged saw or hammer, will always wound its users.
- Grand-Engineer Mechzha dhes-Chreska-Phavia

Post on behalf of a player:

&#8230;And so the All Father appeared to Signud Raskarson and spoke to him &#8220;Why do you seek knowledge of that which is unsafe to you?&#8221; But Raskarson was a troll of the lineage of heroes, proud and fierce, and refused to accept the wisdom offered by The Old Man, and so he set out on a quest for answers. He left his land far behind, seeking, searching, until eventually he came across an old crone pulling a sled with four or five blocks of ice on it, which she would use to keep her meat fresh. Being a Noble soul, Raskarson spoke to the old woman &#8220;Grandmother let me carry that for you&#8221; and he did, lugging the ice to her home.
The Old woman&#8217;s home was but a cave carved in the stone wall, but it was furnished richly, with curtains and a fire roaring in a hearth. She spoke to Raskarson &#8220;Stay here tonight, and tomorrow you will find what you seek.&#8221; Hearing wisdom in her words, Raskarson sat on the palet she had designated. She fed him richly, and he fell asleep in the warm glow of the fire.
He was awoken the next morning by a bitingly cold wind, and looked around in shock. The furnishing of the cave had disappeared. There was no trace of the old woman, not even burn marks in the hallow that had served as a hearth. As he looked around the cave, he saw that the cave went much deeper than he had expected. He walked into the depths of the cave, through winding tunnels and over sharp precipices, until he came upon a room which shone with it&#8217;s own brilliance. Within this room a number of men and woman stood, each more beautiful than the last. Raskarson looked upon them in wonder, for he realized that he looked upon the lesser gods, the Children of the All Father, of the Winter, who had sprung forth from the Winter as all life does.
He Gazed on them, and for a moment thought of the All Father in hatred and anger, anger that he had hidden these from Mankind. He walked towards the closest figure and looked more closely at it, peering down at it&#8217;s quickly moving hands, and saw with horror that this figure held the souls of many dead in it&#8217;s hands, counting them over and over, greedily eyeing the souls the others held. Horrified, he backed away, into another figure which paid him no mind, busy as it was building and tinkering, using the souls it had captured as fuel for it&#8217;s machines. And Raskarson realized that each and every figure in the room held souls, which it was using for it&#8217;s pleasure: One in the distance was torturing them, another watched in apathy as it&#8217;s souls drowned, another had lined up it&#8217;s souls in a line, and was beheading them one by one, reciting a list of crimes, another&#8217;s souls were burning with a deep and cruel flame. All around, similar scenes of Depravity and Sin were being repeated. Until Raskarson noticed, in the back, a last figure, which was doing nothing but watching it&#8217;s fellows with a smile. Then it turned, and spoke to Raskarson in s voice redolent with sadness &#8220;Despair, mortal, for this is what awaits you in death.&#8221;
Raskaron&#8217;s courage failed him, and he ran from the chamber, into the arms of the All Father, who looked sadly into the room. &#8220;Sad, isn&#8217;t it? I created them to be perfect, but perfection does not last. Do you now understand why I didn&#8217;t want you to know?&#8221;
&#8220;So it is true, then? That is what happens to the dead?&#8221;
&#8220;To those who do not know the truth, death is a terror, for I cannot save those who do not save themselves first. Those I Save sit with me for eternity, unchanging, undying, uncorrupted, pure&#8230;.&#8221;

-Extract from the Book of Winter

Victory Candescence
Spoiler :
“People of Palitnate! I bring you peace in our time!” Silvanus shouted from the podium to the cheering crowd. Really, when did the crowd not cheer when there was a speaker on top of the podium? The crowd’s cheering, however, was probably not as fierce as one would expect to hear in these circumstances.

“You let them live!” a voice cried out from the masses. The first stone cast, the torrent soon followed.

“They all deserved death!”

“How do you explain this to thousands of those who died fighting the undead?”

“Do the Council and Isidor know what they are doing?”

Silvanus said nothing as the accusations flooded the air around him. He knew the masses were not a threat to him. The masses before him, as terrible and powerful as they appear, had no voice. No specific leader. Without a central figure to guide their actions, they were powerless and divided. Silvanus watched with vague interest as a few of those present began to get into a heated argument with each other. Between the animal screams of rage, pain, and sorrow, Silvanus could almost swear that there was a certain pattern to it all.

One of the guards handed a torch to Silvanus. He raised it up into the sky.

“Hear me!” he said to the crowd. The people instantly did so. “Look at the flames of this torch.

See how it dances. For eons, fire served us. It cooked our food, it gave us warmth, and it burnt our enemies, but what about the time before? When our ancestors were still in the caves fire was one of their greatest enemies. Forest fires would cause terror, split families apart, and even kill them.”

Silvanus toyed with the torch in his hand. “Yes, although people think of fire as a benevolent entity that gives them warmth, it is an unfeeling and unthinking monster; its only goal is to spread itself by consuming for things to use as fuel.”

Silvanus threw the torch into the floor of the podium he stood on. Numerous gasps rose from the crowd as the flames began to spread. “Look at how the flames eat away the podium. Observe its powers of destruction. Dangerous, don’t you think? So did our ancestors. So did they annihilate the fire? No. They tamed it, harnessed its powers and used it for their own benefits. That is what happened with the undead.

We did not ‘spare’ the undead. We did not ‘forgive.’ We did not ‘let them live.’ Instead, we tamed the undead. We made their leader bow before us in submission like a dog. By doing so, we expressed our superiority better than annihilating them ever will. Is this not the greatest revenge? Is this not the greatest of all victory?

But it is done. My job, and you all’s jobs, in this ‘war against the undead,’ is complete. Enjoy your peace and newfound security, people. It’s time to rest.”

Silvanus calmly walked off the burning podium. Stares of awe-struck citizens struck him from every direction. Silvanus turned his face away from the crowd, and rolled his eyes.

It was not until Silvanus was completely out of sight, and the podium truly burnt down, that people began to shuffle back home. Some of them carried a piece of the podium, or even the ashes, with them as souvenir. Back at home, the parents praised the government’s decision to tame the undead. Most were content. ‘Why worry about politics?’ They said. Obviously the government had it under control, as always.

………………………………………………………………………………………………

Spoiler :
“You let them live?!” A young man in priestly garb shouted as he burst through the doors.

“Ignatus,” Isidor eyed the priest of Mammon. “Have you heard Silvanus’s delightful speech yesterday?”

“Yes,” said the young man.

“Oh,” said Isidor. “How did you like it?”

“It was bunch of damn :):):):):):):):),” yelled Ignatus. “Why did you go about letting them live?”

“’Letting them live’ is such a bad way to put it.” Isidor smirked. “They said they would surrender, and that they will accept any terms. I accepted their surrender, that’s all.”

Ignatus rolled his eyes. “They killed thousands upon thousands of innocents. They all deserve the most painful death imaginable, if that even has meaning to them anymore. Comparison to fire? Don’t make me laugh. That would have fooled the masses outside, but it doesn’t fool me. The Council’s outraged. I’m outraged! They are not humans anymore. They are monsters. Killing them would be a sign of mercy”

Isidor let out a laugh, a laugh louder than any ever heard before... or since. A laugh that echoed in the town hall, lingering for what seemed like hours. When Isidor finally stopped laughing, he chuckled and stared out of the window and onto the statue of Alastor outside. “Funny we should be saying that.”

Ignatus stood agape. “What the devil are you propo…”

“No matter.” Isidor said. “Sparing of the undead is not of the essence, nor is the terms of the treaty. All that mattered was attaining peace.”

“Then why spare them!” Ignatus shouted. “We should have laid waste to the remnants of the undead and ground every bone into powder so that they could not rise again.”

Isidor shook his head. “Killing the undead was never the point. Attaining peace was. I saw reports of the undead exodus. I judged that making them pay reparation to us would be the course of action that would most benefit us.”

“You decided to let the undead live for…” Ignatus sighed. “I guess it makes sense. Kind of.”

“Glad you see it my way,” Isidor beamed. Ignatus stared long and hard into Isidor’s smile, shrugged, and slowly walked out of the room.

As the door closed behind Ignatus, Isidor sighed and took a book from one of the shelves. He sank into a chair and began reading it.

‘After so many years…’ Isidor sighed once more. Finally, there would be no more disturbances. Of course, it wouldn’t last. “Incidents are not of the essence, and blood is not the life. But incidents of blood are symbol beneath every human thought,” Isidor mumbled to himself. Indeed. There would be another disturbance, but not for another generation or two.

And by that time, he would be ready to fend them off once more.

Something smells of LDi.

Top Bottom