Immortal University Bullpen

Seeing the discussion on how the AI is nerfed by the forests in IU 107, I did some tests. AI tournament style I walled myself in behind mountains and played out a few deity games until lib to see how the AI does. 2 games with the map as it is and 2 games where I erased about 8 forests/AI around their starting locations. Mostly removed forests from green riverside tiles and hills to give their workers something to do. What I found:
Spoiler :
The AI really is horrible at a forest start! In one of the games with no forests removed Sal, who starts with 12 forests and only 3 non-forested land tiles in his BFC, didn't get BW until 1600BC!

The games where I removed forests where the fastest to lib, on average 150 years earlier than the other 2 games. Most wonders were also built much earlier. The table below shows the different timings of all wonders built in the BCs between 2 games, first column date for a game with map as it is, second column with some forests removed:
Spoiler :
Code:
SH	2320	2640
GW	1480	2360
ToA	1320	1160	
GLH	875	1640
Ora	850	1280
Pyr	525	1200
Col	525	975
THG	175	400
SoZ	50	150
MoM	0	50
AP	-	350
Parth	-	50
Seriously, deity oracle in 850 BC? :dubious:

Apart from the early ToA, that's quite a difference!

Conclusion: if a map type with lots of forests is used (this or Arboria), it could make sense to remove some forests around the AI starting locations to make them more competitive.

So is the series finished now? Is anyone still interested in hosting more games?

There was the poll about which leaders to start the next round, so I doubt it's meant to be over. No word on when it continues yet, though. Had I known there would be a break from IU this week, then this would have been the perfect time to throw in the LHC game that i_imperator asked for..

SGOTM has taken many players away. Always good to keep these series alive.

I think you skipped Peter?? I am guessing Habitus list on front page is a bit dated.

It sure is. I tried some of the links, but they don't actually work for the later games.

Not really, Dubioza updated it already in post #83

In my browser, neither pictures of the starting position nor map details are displayed. I would have to load every single game to find out about the details.
Can somebody tell me if there are some exceptional challenges here? I simply prefer to play something else than the usual "Fractal - standard - 6 opponents - NHNE - game".

I found by accident the Pericles game and I extremely enjoyed playing against 3 teams, what a great idea. Something else I should not miss?

Thanks a lot

Thanks @crashmon Gengis map looks like a good challenge anyway. No happiness, so I am rather interested in Mids than in GLH. Probably even iso (played 40T so far) which would almost negate our leader's traits.

Top Bottom