In What Electronic Entertainment Have You Been Partaking #18: Reticulating Splines

Status
Not open for further replies.
My best friend and I are putting together an Among Us gaming group. With mics, so no tip-tapping.

I was wondering if anyone here who's on good terms with me would like to join it? Right now we're planning on playing Fridays or Saturdays at around 5 PM PST, so this might rule out any Euro people.

No solid dates as of yet, but that's the general expectation for days and time. If anyone is interested, I can invite you to a Discord server for it. I'd love to get more than 10 people total between us so that we can still play when people drop out or can't make it. Parties can be 10 people max.

I was consdering buying that game. Mmm.. But 5 PM would be 7 am at my time, hahaha, I think at that time I was drawn in the deep fractal of my own dream. I'm not really playing much game recently, but once or twice game in a week with Syn-chan might be really fun.

especially if there is @yung.carl.jung around I can force myself to make it at 5 PM

Oh! I thought it was a forum game. I'm not spending foreign currency again at the moment, because we've suffered another not-so-minor jolt to the exchange rate and the government has banned nearly all expenditure in foreign currency i.e. the banks will actually stop the transaction. :ack: I seriously feel like crying.

How bad you want that game? You know I can make your dream come true :)

Microsoft is paying $7.5b. Some folks have noted that, by comparison, Disney bought Marvel and Lucasfilm for ~$4b each, in 2009 and 2012, respectively (otoh, Disney paid ~$71b for Fox & its affiliates last year).
Disney's already having ESPN absorb Fox Sports in Latin America, just like Lucasfilm got Marvelised.

Is this the definition of an oligopoly

I'm reading a lot of uninformed comments online regarding Microsoft's acquisition of Bethesda; that competitor Sony should be 'worried'.

Sony shouldn't be concerned at all. Not in the slightest. :nope:

Gary Grigsby's "Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich" got a big update today that finally, FINALLY adds a weather forecast system. It's a very fun game about the Air War in Europe that is continuously upgraded by a small team about the size of our Civ2 Scenario League community.

Is this the definition of an oligopoly
Combination of monopsony (towards the various sporting events and agencies off whom they buy TV rights) and monopoly (towards prospective buyers of sports broadcasts).

accurate meme
7q5yjusc9ea31.jpg

I still remember playing as anyone in the British Isles and having to deal with regular armed pilgrimages by the heirs of Portugal and Spain to Ireland and Wales. Always Portugal and Spain. Always heirs. Always those places.

Sicily and I had an actual alliance in this game and then they broke it, relations went from "good" to "abysmal" and they declared war on me in the space of about 4 turns

Sicily and I had an actual alliance in this game and then they broke it, relations went from "good" to "abysmal" and they declared war on me in the space of about 4 turns
Classic M2

How's your reputation? I know vanilla and a lot of mods have a bug that causes reputation to drop if you ever occupy settlements, though this is an easy enough fix

I'm reading a lot of uninformed comments online regarding Microsoft's acquisition of Bethesda; that competitor Sony should be 'worried'.

Sony shouldn't be concerned at all. Not in the slightest. :nope:
They should be worried that they continue to insist on a closed network. Meanwhile MS (Xbox and PC) and Nintendo are playing together. It’s a big reason why I might be doing Xbox this cycle.

Last edited:
How's your reputation?

My faction leader is "Emperor Jan the Tyrant", and my Greatest General is "Wilhelm the Merciless". If that answers your question :lol:

Man, the most annoying bug in this game is BattleChivalry and BattleDread. I mean I'm not sure if it's technically a bug but the way those traits work is insanely annoying and basically amounts to a random chance of having a character be goddamn useless, because I always try to accumulate Dread but some characters get the Dread cancelled out by the BattleChivalry which is just baloney. I have a guy named who went from Godwine the Merciless to Godwine the Chivalrous, who only has one dread because in addition to "merciless conqueror" and several other dread traits he has "Champion of Honor" for a whopping five chivalry plus a chivalric knight in the retinue....

Last edited:
My faction leader is "Emperor Jan the Tyrant", and my Greatest General is "Wilhelm the Merciless". If that answers your question :lol:

Man, the most annoying bug in this game is BattleChivalry and BattleDread. I mean I'm not sure if it's technically a bug but the way those traits work is insanely annoying and basically amounts to a random chance of having a character be goddamn useless, because I always try to accumulate Dread but some characters get the Dread cancelled out by the BattleChivalry which is just baloney. I have a guy named who went from Godwine the Merciless to Godwine the Chivalrous, who only has one dread because in addition to "merciless conqueror" and several other dread traits he has "Champion of Honor" for a whopping five chivalry plus a chivalric knight in the retinue....
Sounds like you need the "remove trait" console command!

I'm used to playing mods with slow city growth, so I like to have high Chivalry whenever possible, but a high Dread general at the head of a cavalry army is OP as hell in the field

I find that on VH difficulty the player can never grow settlements as fast as the AI can. Fortunately the solution is easy and obvious.

I find that on VH difficulty the player can never grow settlements as fast as the AI can. Fortunately the solution is easy and obvious.
Third Age: Total War is not so easy on VH/VH, at least as Gondor.

I gotta say, playing as Gondor makes you a lot more sympathetic to Boromir and Denethor. It is the path of PAIN

I was consdering buying that game. Mmm.. But 5 PM would be 7 am at my time, hahaha, I think at that time I was drawn in the deep fractal of my own dream. I'm not really playing much game recently, but once or twice game in a week with Syn-chan might be really fun.

especially if there is @yung.carl.jung around I can force myself to make it at 5 PM

How bad you want that game? You know I can make your dream come true :)

lovely to see you back man, and yeah I'd love to play with you and Syn, but another time, I'm going on a short vacation home :)

Third Age: Total War is not so easy on VH/VH, at least as Gondor.

I gotta say, playing as Gondor makes you a lot more sympathetic to Boromir and Denethor. It is the path of PAIN

I don't usually play VH battles, I've done it before but it makes it almost impossible to maintain super-veteran units from the beginning of the campaign which is less fun so I usually do VH/H.

I've never been able to get Third Age TW to work, but maybe I should try again. It'll have to be after the semester ends...I'm using Med2 as a sort of low-effort work-break game now.

This game has been unique in two respects: Pope hasn't excommed me because I've been bribing him all game, and Milan actually stayed allied with me until the 1300s (they betrayed and attacked me but I'm gonna get rid of them soon).

I don't usually play VH battles, I've done it before but it makes it almost impossible to maintain super-veteran units from the beginning of the campaign which is less fun so I usually do VH/H.

I've never been able to get Third Age TW to work, but maybe I should try again. It'll have to be after the semester ends...I'm using Med2 as a sort of low-effort work-break game now.

This game has been unique in two respects: Pope hasn't excommed me because I've been bribing him all game, and Milan actually stayed allied with me until the 1300s (they betrayed and attacked me but I'm gonna get rid of them soon).
It's been ages since I played vanilla but I always worked to train priests, build cathedrals, get the Theologian's Guild, convert others, and just plain murder my way into ruling the College of Cardinals.

Milan is sooo treacherous even for Medieval II standards

I've found in the past that the only way to reliably control the Pope* is to eliminate all the other Catholic factions (minus the Papal States). Even if you unanimously control the College of Cardinals, the Pope you select will still get pissed at you very fast (like from "perfect" relations to "abysmal" in a few turns) if you execute Catholic prisoners, exterminate their populations and so on. If there are no other Catholics you can pick the Pope and he wil remain friendly.
One past game I controlled the cardinals and had a lot of assassins so I was executing the Pope every time he told me not to attack a faction on pain of excommunication, picking a new Pope, and then repeating the cycle every few turns.

Fighting Milan is a PITA usually so I was just happy they didn't attack me for so many turns. Now it should be relatively easy to destroy them with knight stacks.

*though as I've mentioned before in this game I've discovered simply bribing the Pope is the best way to control him

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom