Introducing Venice and the Bannock-Shoshone

I might point out that I'm American, and while I don't mind Native American Civs, they are not anywhere near my first choice for diversification in Civ. (I would prefer multiple UAs/Leaders per Civ already in the game, but I realize that is technically infeasible.)

Moderator Action: For those quoting inappropriate content, please be warned that you are responsible for the whole of the content of your post, including that which you decide to quote. Please just ignore inappropriate content, or even better, report it, rather than commenting on it and letting it take over the discussion. Now, moving on...

I'm from the UK and I really like the idea of another Native American civ.

Seconded :)

It's not a culture I know much about or am even that interested in, particularly, but it's great to see other cultures represented in Civ. Makes a nice change from the Sioux who for a while everyone was tipping (myself included) to be the NA Civ in BNW...

Seconded :)

It's not a culture I know much about or am even that interested in, particularly, but it's great to see other cultures represented in Civ. Makes a nice change from the Sioux who for a while everyone was tipping (myself included) to be the NA Civ in BNW...

Yeah I love the introduction of the Shoshone as well, and if they ever choose to add another native horse raiding civ, I'd rather like they added the Mapuche, who were much more succesful figthing off Europeans.

Now that they have been officially revealed, does that mean the NDA is lifted for those in the know?

Good to finally see the leaderscreens. Venice in particular has a cool scene. Pocatello makes for the second spear-wielding leader added in BnW.

Just looked at it again- you're absolutely right about Poland, my apologies.

Ah no worries I wasn't sure myself until I looked it up after :)

Anyway shoshone should be really fun in the beginning of the game, with goody huts being even more exciting than they normally are and new cities being great at land grabbing. Might actually get ticked off if friends or the computer use the same strategy to grab a resource i was after!

Now that they are FINALLY officially announced, when can we expect the new Achievements? :D
Polygon's new article claims that Shoshone's will have a reference to Sacajawea, but they aren't yet up...

They must be really disappointed with the leak of the 2 last civs and didn't even tried do make some mistery to reveal them. That's quite sad. But the background of both leaderscreens looks amazing.

It is sad. I feel it too... They were probably preparing some challenging guessing game and they were saying to themselves 'this is gonna be great!' and then... :sad:

Here's the reference for Enrico "Killed the Roman Empire While Blind" Dandolo:

Spoiler :

Enrico Dandolo is not pictured in that image, though.

Now that they have been officially revealed, does that mean the NDA is lifted for those in the know?

NDAs in general don't expire, and you can only comment on things, which are officially known. So theoretically even the Civ2 beta testers are still not allowed to talk about things, which they might have seen during that phase back in 1995.
tl;dr: most likely not.

I was so hoping it was a hoax...

I mean, I like that Venice is in, but the way they are designed (provided the leak is true) seems rather lacklustre. A boring naval unit that will powerful in it's era, then fizzle out rapidly because it has no special promotions. The Merchant of Venice and UA are kind of cool, but it just sort of feels like "Austria with a twist" and greatly restricts your play style. And it feels kind of silly that Venice can only puppet cities, their empire was quite large. Many of the civilisations "simply" united and conquered their empires, rather than building them from the ground up, but only Venice gets singled out here.

And the Shoshone, well they kind of killed my excitement for the game. It's a civ that feels like it was only included for the Americans. Even as a Canadian, I find it hard to get excited about them. Not to mention a completely boring play style. Oh your scout can pick its ruin finds, cool. After 50-60 turns, now what? You have a few Scarchers and some free techs. Sure, it might give you an early lead, but now you're just a civ with bigger borders. It feels like France all over again (I know France is very strong, I'm talking more about their uniqueness suddenly disappearing), and I imagine that was part of the reason they changed France, beyond making them fit with Tourism better.

All and all I'm rather disappointed. None of the civs in this expansion really stood out to me, I was so hoping there would be a big surprise to re-ignite my interest in this expansion. Oh well, Trade Routes, World Congress, and Ideologies still look cool.

All and all I'm rather disappointed. None of the civs in this expansion really stood out to me, I was so hoping there would be a big surprise to re-ignite my interest in this expansion. Oh well, Trade Routes and World Congress look cool.

Really? Out of all 9 new civs (plus the France and Arabia overhauls), not a single one intrigues you?

I can't see Dandolo's eyes that clearly... well, I want to see him animated, see how well they did the blindness thing

The new leader screens look great. Venice looks beautiful, but should their blind leader really be wandering the streets alone at night?

Top Bottom