IOT: Song of Another World

I'll let you and zap talk about the exact extent of your relations before making a hard decision about the placement. Initially, while it does look rather cool and thematic, the claims aren't very functional within the scope of the game - however, when considering there may be active conflict, this may work fine and I can adjust my "plan" for the region appropriately.

I would like to co-work with Angst's Hochdeutsch confederacy, having the HRE be an unstable, but vast hive of wasps which has slowly broken up after recent imperial reforms (carried out in 1186) which merged together a majority of the empire's counties and duchies to form seven sizable imperial provinces. The idea behind this reform was to put pressure off of the central administration (The Kaiser, and the Elector Counts), as well as unifying the north/south-germanic/occitan peoples.

However, the cultural and geopolitical backlash caused by this event was so great that Angst's faction was born, and now stains the empire like a bright, cancerous rash. The empire remains unmatched in terms of size, and can be considered a sleeping giant, ready to engulf Europe if ever re-stabilized.

As of the current date, I'd like for the Holy Roman Empire and Hochdeustch Confederacy to not start out at war with each other, since that would turn into a T0 "invade that sucker" episode. Perhaps a shaky ceasefire?

I'd also like for Angst to start out somewhere he can expand away from the HRE, considering that if he's boxed in, I'd most likely be able to swallow him with sheer numerical superiority, and he'd had nowhere else to go but outward into my territories. Of course, this is not because I do not enjoy a challenge, but rather because it would be more fun for both of us if we were not forced to go at each others' throats to begin with. Unless that is what he wants, of course :,) I am thinking that for this game, considering the instability of empire, I'll most likely be focusing on internal affairs, as the HRE is a world of nations in its own rights.

Shaky ceasefire it is :)

I'm unsure how to fix the borders to allow myself to expand - the whole point was to own that region, but I am aware of the problems. Perhaps there is a degree of policking large enough for the Hochdeutschbund (I liked your Hochdeutsch Confederacy name and simply translated it) to expand diplomatically? Perhaps being an even larger pain in your butt? Otherwise, I'm up for changing areas to smoothen up the game if it's the best thing to do.

All I really "need" is this red point.

Spoiler :

I do like the shape of my confederacy. I might just rotate it? Part it in two, move half of it to the borders of the HRE instead? Redraw completely? Any suggestions?

EDIT: Actually rotating it eastwards would move me into Austria, giving me a proper base of power compared to Baden-Wirtemberg (Wirtemberg lasted as a duchy until the 1800s unifications because as a strategic territory it was not that important, so it just remained a thing. Similar to Switzerland)

@Tyo, what would be the gamewise consequences of having that kind of a territory?

EDITEDIT: You know actually a complete map of all claims wouldn't be a bad idea.

You'd have a lot of territory that for lack of better words, does nothing.

I'm working on one as we speak, actually. Just takes a bit of time to draw the borders in a consistent manner. Here's what I have right now. I redrew the borders to make them more functional, but I can redraw again if you'd prefer.
Spoiler :

You know what, I'm fine with that, if that's how it ends up. I like how it looks :)

Will expansion be possible southwards in that event?

Yep. I might place an NPC there but even if I do, it won't take up all the space and failing anything else you can always invade it :p

It dawns on me I never put expansion mechanics in the ruleset. Whoops.

Here's the map with all claims minus SK I think.
Spoiler :

Because of the nature of how this game is sizing up to be, and it seems most of the people who will join this game has, I'm going to bar official joins outside of Europe, North Africa, and the Middle East. If a significant number of people voice interest in the other parts of the world, I'll open them up again.

Country Name: Venice!

Flag/Coat of Arms:

Capital Name: ...are you really asking this. naturally, its Ragu- er, Venice.

Government: Thassalocratic Republic.
Religion: Catholic tyvm Celestine III best Pope yes, yes
Army/Navy Tradition: Army: 1; Navy: 4
Leader Name: Enrico Dandolo
Leader Traits:

• Heard the First Hymn:
  • Scholar of the Spectrum:
  • Skilled Economist:

Cultural Base: Money! To make the best profit in all sorts of situations, even when it would lead to less-than-favourable consequences later. Venetians are the people of the sea, and they don't like fighting much on the land. That isn't however very often necessary, however, as the grand fortifications created to block off any would-be invaders. And the Venetian navy is well-known for its skill, unparalleled by anyone.
History: The history of Venice would be perhaps in the Eastern Mediterranean, but the Byzantine Restoration had changed all that. Crete and Cyprus were lost, and the Greek possessions with them. The Event, however, brought a new dynamic in this world. A wave of hysteria flew through Europe, and many rulers died from sudden heart attacks, or their hysteric populations killed them, thinking they did something wrong and this is God's punishment. This left a vacuum of power, in which Venice sought to seize crucial territories like Ragusa, Apulia, and Calabria. And in Malta, the eponymous Knights there delayed their debts far too long; resulting into repossession of their isle.
Starting Location:

plus Sicily because bair quit

can you find Venice, tyo? can you see it

WIP

Kingdom of T'vramkhare/Satvramkharos Samepo/ სათვრამხარეოს სამეფო

Flag/Coat of Arms:

Capital Name: Akhaltsikhe [OTL Akhalkalaki, Shida Kartli, Georgia]

Government: Absolute Monarchy

Religion: Kartuli Apostolic Autocephalous Orthodox Church

Army/Navy Tradition: IV Army, I Navy

Leader Name: Davit I Khidirbegishvili [დავით I ხიდირბეგიშვილი]

Leader Traits:
-Skilled Tactician
-Skilled Industrialist
-Skilled Economist

Leader's Betrothed Name: Natela Panaskerteli [ნათელა ფანასკერტელი]

Leader’s Betrothed Traits:
-Heard the First Hymn
-Skilled Politician

Cultural Base:

History:

Starting Location:
Spoiler :

Watch this post:

Country Name: Kingdom of Poland-Lithuania
Flag/Coat of Arms:
Spoiler :

Capital Name: Warsaw
Government: Absolute Monarchy
Religion: Christian
Army/Navy Tradition: 5 Army 0 Navy
Leader Name: Queen Jadwiga I
Spoiler :

Leader Traits: Skilled Tactician, Skilled Politician, Scholar of the Spectrum
Leader's Betrothed Name: Ivan of Kiev
Leader’s Betrothed Traits: Skilled Tactician
Cultural Base: Militaristic, Imperial tradition. Strong support for the Sciences and Arts. Equality and Tolerance for religious and ethnic minorities.
History: Poland and Lithuania's historical friendship helps lead to the early personal union under the Piast dynasty, and the Piast efforts to save Kiev during the crisis formed the basis for an empire under the Piast crown.
Starting Location:
Spoiler :

The Roman Emperor, the true Caesar hopes for friendly relations with the Holy land and Venice.
While we had our differences in the past, I hope that those old rivalaries can be forgotten.
The Empire only seeks the good of all people under this sun, so War should always only be the last option if diplomacy fails.

Towards Thomas and his holy land

And his majesty is very certain and the "Cyprus problem" can be solved quickly.
His majesty offers the Holy land to turn cyprus into a neutral republic, governed by an Konsul from Konstantinopel and one from Antioch.
It will function as a neutral buffer and trading place for us, while both of our nations protect Cyprus from any potential attackers.
(Normal talking: Before we start killing each other over Cyprus, why not turn it into a neutral bufferstate controlled by us ? )

Game hasn't started juuust yet :p please wait a little longer.

Towards Thomas and his holy land

And his majesty is very certain and the "Cyprus problem" can be solved quickly.
His majesty offers the Holy land to turn cyprus into a neutral republic, governed by an Konsul from Konstantinopel and one from Antioch.
It will function as a neutral buffer and trading place for us, while both of our nations protect Cyprus from any potential attackers.
(Normal talking: Before we start killing each other over Cyprus, why not turn it into a neutral bufferstate controlled by us ? )

:p

will answer when game starts, but we are positively amenable to that.

Country Name: The Papal States
Flag/Coat of Arms:
Spoiler :

Capital Name: Rome [can you mark it on the map Tyo-senpai? I don’t trust my geography skills enough]
Government: Papal Government [so a “Republic” mechanically]
Religion: Roman Catholicism
Army/Navy Tradition: 4 Army 1 Navy
Leader Name: Pope Celestine III
Leader Traits:
-Heard the First Hymn
-Scholar of the Spectrum
-Skilled Diplomat
Cultural Base: The main cultural trait of the Papal States is its extreme piety and devotion to the faith. This faith and the actions of the current Pope have caused a great push to Crusade against the Creatures of the Spectrum (who are considered demons). The government and the people of Rome are extremely intolerant of heretics and heathens and purge those who are not good Catholics. However, the PoD is before the church became irredeemably corrupt, hypocritical and stupid. This means that the people who are running things actually do believe in what they are preaching and that they also aren’t going around burning innocent scientists to death. Quite the contrary, Rome is a hub of learning and education because religion and knowledge were quite linked in this age.
History: The main pre-event PoD for the Papal States is that Pope Clement III died slightly earlier, meaning that Pope Celestine III was ordained just in time for the event. Mere weeks into his reign the event happened, causing chaos across Italy and the rest of Europe. The people of Rome rallied around the Celestine III, who rallied the desperate and disorganized people to defend their holy city. They successfully routed the demons from the Papal States thanks to their piety and the strong ruler ship of the Pope. Not everywhere else had fared quite as well as Rome, many had turned to heresy and apostasy including the Knight Orders who were meant to be guarding the most holy of cities! This corruption and heresy in these orders caused Celestine III to excommunicate the Knight Orders en-masse (which was seen a sanction for Venetian invasion of Malta). Celestine III then took the remaining loyal knights and his own forces and reorganized them into the Order of Saint George, which now covers several non-military functions as well. Celestine III now hopes to destroy the Creatures of the Spectrum and drive heathens and heretics from Christian lands.
Society: The Papal States is a theocratic elective monarchy. The Pope has absolute power over the country, although he delegates some of his power to regional governors and the nobility. The Pope is elected by the College of Cardinals and serves until his death. As Catholic priests are supposed to be celibate and Nephew-Cardinals were not yet common, it is very rare for successive Popes to be related to each other.

The academic traditions of the Papal States have been boosted by this event. One of the more controversial decisions made by Pope Celestine III was that humans with supernatural powers (known as “The Blessed”) were not demons in disguise and that Dust was a gift from God. It is quite likely that there was an element of pragmatism involved in his decisions, as those displaying high levels of faith in their religion were more likely to receive powers and Dust may be the key to stopping the Creatures. These decisions have allowed the academic community to thrive, allowing them to discover new secrets about the universe through intense study of these new fields. The Blessed and Dust are primarily dealt with via the Order of Saint George.

The military of the Papal States is composed mainly of the Order of Saint George, although Papal armies existed before the Order was established the divisions between the old armies and the Order is practically non-existent. The Papal Navy has remained somewhat independent, although it has been neglected in favour of land armies due to the primarily land-based nature of the Creatures of the Spectrum. The Order of Saint George does not have the same autonomy that previous Holy Orders had, they cannot really be considered an independent entity to the Papal States. The reason for the lack of autonomy is to prevent a repeat of the heresy, apostasy and corruption that spread through the Orders after the event. The Order was primarily established to Crusade against the Creatures of the Spectrum (hence being named after the patron saint of Crusaders who was famous for fighting monsters), however their Order now performs a variety of vital services for the Pope.

The Order of Saint George has three branches: The Militant Branch, the Inquisition and the Agency. The Militant Branch, unsurprisingly, is the military of the Order. It was established primarily to fight the Creatures, but they are well equipped to fight human foes as well. The Inquisition, alongside the obvious heretic-purging duties, investigates potentially supernatural events and Creature sightings. The Inquisition also processes the Blessed. Under Papal decree, if they find anyone who has developed these abilities they are drafted into Order. If they have useful combat abilities, they are sent to the Militant Branch or the Inquisition. If they have no useful combat abilities, they assist the Agency in their experimentations. The last branch is known as the Agency. The Agency is made up of the best scholars in the region, they are the only group legally allowed to experiment with Dust in the Papal States. They also perform scientific and theological investigations into other post-even phenomena, such as the Blessed, the Creatures and the strange transportation of people and places.

Starting Location:
Spoiler :

(Sorry Tyo I am not good with the drawing :cry: )

no one is telling me where to start on chat
also pls consolid8 maps

Country Name: The Kingdom of Langoberds
Flag/Coat of Arms: The Green & White of the Germanic origins along with favorite tools , the axe. This
Capital Name:Tuscany
Government: Monarchy
Religion: Christianity, with some Arian & Pagan influences
Army/Navy Tradition: 3 Army, 2 Navy
Leader Name: Garibald, the One eye
Leader Traits:
Skilled Strategist
Skilled Tactician
Skilled Diplomat
Leader's Betrothed Name:Ida, the consort
Leader’s Betrothed Traits:
Skilled Diplomat
Skilled Politician
Cultural Base: The Lombards hail from an ancient line of fearsome warriors and explorers. They have traveled a great deal across the length and breath of Europe, fought, killed and looted. The opportunity to break another guys shield or a limb or two, is reason enough for a Lombard to get into a fight. Such was the importance on their martial nature that a young one must undergo the rights of adulthood to be accepted a part of the culture.

History: The weak control of the now diseased, so called "Roman Empire", was an open invitation to all those to had the capacity to take control. The pastures were green, the women, lusty and their men, a disgrace onto themselves. Soon after the first settlement of the Romans fell, the other followed suite like dominoes.

Yet, among these lands, the Lombards met some men that in the name of faith would stand their grounds in the name of their religion ! The Lombards were about to be slaughtered in the fields of battle. Janik, an old seer, who was of similar birth as Garibald, wanted to discuss a truce. All of Garibald's men who had suffered the misfortune to die in the fields of battle, were taken care of, something, that was unheard of. Garibald, the leader of the Lombards, a man who was not easily impressed, even agreed to convert to this new religion, on the words of Janik. The Lombard kingdom would convert to Christianity, with some relaxation to continue some of their old customs, other than sacrifices of human and animals, and be a defender of the Holy Seat, from all that the Church considered a threat.

Starting Location: North of Pope's Area (OOC : Fruili was a lovely place, but someone else already called on that. I need Lombardy, Seina, Tuscany, Pisa or something suitable in that zone. )

Top Bottom