Is a terrorist chemical attack possible ?

Do you think there's a serious risk to see a chemical terrorist attack soon ?

• Yes, the terrorists are ready to do everything that could harm the Western world and it's impossible

Votes: 26 63.4%
  • No, I trust in our intelligence to prevent such an attack.

Votes: 5 12.2%
  • No, that would be too risky and/or counter-productive for fundamentalists.

• Don't know.

• Total voters
Obviously, a subway is an ideal place for a chemical attack. Can anyone tell me why? Yes, you in the back? :rolleyes:

I wish they will kill thousands of people in Paris subway.

Well, as they say, every little helps. Reported for trolling, by the way.

You see your mama the moderator ? ;)
Ok I got it. I'm sorry I didn't mean it... I've just answered emotionally. I regret it sincerly. Please don't ban me.

Originally posted by Marla_Singer
Tassadar, what would you have done instead ?

Very simple, just stop interfering into other country buisness. Why do you think 9/11 happen, Shah of iran, iran-irak war sponsorize by USA.

Do you realy think those poeple want to be dominate by western cultur ? they are not evil at all, they just want want their own freedoom.

Freedoom in a supposidly democratic capitalist world is like santa claus, a big lie.

anything is possible. i wouldn't be suprised if one happened, but if i had to put money down, i'd bet no.

Originally posted by EmpireofVirtue
Get over it Rmsharpe. People in here don't know what they're talking about. Fundies have blown up the South of Manhattan and some weirdos in here consider they are too nice to make a chemical attack ! :lol: Fundamentalists are brainless freaks and I wish they will kill thousands of people in Paris subway. This way, frenchies would know what is terrorism and maybe they'll understand why we went after Saddam.
Do you realize you're giving a really bad image of your country ? Look outside, you'll realize life rocks. Don't close your mind in pointless frustrations. That's just a tip. :)

ok, well no need to respond to the troll now then.

anyhow, I would say that the chances of terrorists planning such an attack is high enough. The question is whether intelligence is good enough to prevent such attacks. I voted that it is, but I do think that sooner or later something will occur. My vote is more along the lines that it is possible, but not probable that there will be a chemical attack. There is no need to live in fear in any case. As has been said, a successful chemical attack is not an easy thing to pull off, and other attacks are probably more likely.

A terrorsit attack of the scale of 9/11 is'nt very easy and to try it with chemical weapons, is much much more harder.
To rmsharpe:
If you had read my post, you would have realized that the Tokyo subway incident was 1 among 50 attempted gas attacks. Now, with vigilance and technology being what it is, I'm sure the US or any western country should be able to pick up a terrorist who tries a gas attack 50 times and fails:p

Besides, I think that if I were Al-Qaeda, I would try the 9/11 route again, since the job has been made more easier. Yes, it is not a typo, but if the Al-Qaeda has any brains, and monitors the goings on in the US, it would realise that the US "Homeland Security" is a joke.
Seriously does Tom Ridge and the fancy dudes at the FBI and CIA really believe that all terrorists are stupid enough to use their own names when travelling?
Moreover, what is the guarantee that the US can catch a Middle Eastern man comes in with a fake Indian passport, under disguise claiming to be a South Indian software professional? Will your fingerprints and photos catch him, if you did'nt know he was a terrorist?
What if a group of five well trained Al-Qaeda operatives on a plane, overpower a single Air Marshal, and use his weapon against him? Worse, what if they could use the "undefended " plane on a building?

Has anyone raised these questions to Bush and his team who seem to make a big deal about how the US is "safer" after all these measures? The only reason why the US is safer is because their soldiers are presenting themsleves as targets to every terrorist who can make a crude IED.

The ideal way to fight terrorism is cooperation and use of intelligence. Cooperation with as many intelligence agencies as possible for information. Some like the Mossad and to some extent the Indian RAW and IB, do have low level and medium level contacts within these terrorist groups because these countries have been fighting terrorists a longer time than the USA. Even Europe has been at the recieving end of terrorsim and does have good anti-terror squads and intel agencies.
Let's hope it does'nt take another 9/11 for the US to realize its mistakes.

It's possible, in the same way it's possible to land and recover someone to and from Mars.

It's just never been done, and I question it's effectiveness. However, we should be vigilant against the possibility.

EDIT: Oops, Aum Shinrikyo Tokyo gas attack. Yes, it has been done.

I read an article somewhere how only about 1-3% of all the freighters that come into the US are checked. Have a huge freighter with anthrax with a couple of big fans pull up into New York and turn on the fans.

Originally posted by CIVPhilzilla
I read an article somewhere how only about 1-3% of all the freighters that come into the US are checked. Have a huge freighter with anthrax with a couple of big fans pull up into New York and turn on the fans.

there are no electrical outlets in a shipping container.

but

a suitcase nuke runs on batteries, I believe... :evil:

Well, if they could place huge amounts of antrax in a container, I think they could also place some batteries.

if the terrorists really wanted to be effective at terrorizing the US population, they would plan a coordinated strike on a certain day on several shopping malls across the country with car bombs, small arms fire and hand grenades. basicly, a group of 5 terrorists with AK-47s and frags, running through the mall, killing as many people as they can before they themselves are killed by a cop or whatever. hundreds would be killed, and the psychological effect would be gigantic,.

Originally posted by Laughing Gull
if the terrorists really wanted to be effective at terrorizing the US population, they would plan a coordinated strike on a certain day on several shopping malls across the country with car bombs, small arms fire and hand grenades. basicly, a group of 5 terrorists with AK-47s and frags, running through the mall, killing as many people as they can before they themselves are killed by a cop or whatever. hundreds would be killed, and the psychological effect would be gigantic,.
Given the recent"security measures" that have recently been taken, a few fake passports, a couple of disguises, a few guns bought in the US itself, the terrorists can cause at least a couple of hundred casualties in this manner, if they co-ordinate. A similar attempt was made in a Delhi, but they were caught before hand. In fact, such attacks keep happening in Jammu and Kashmir, where the terrorists rush railway stations or phone exchanges in such a manner to try and cause damage. They have been deadly when they were sucessful :( :mad:

Top Bottom