Is american music getting out of date?

I'm not sure what chart success has do with anything, to be honest. It's barely indicative of popularity, and certainly not of artistic influence. It's not even a particularly good indicator of mainstream musical tastes, given that a determined niche can and has pushed a relatively alternative band into the Top 40, at least.
All that the charts really tell you is what is in the charts, which isn't much good to anyone.
I think you are right HOWEVER ... What you said applies the most in today's world. I mean it's obvious RATM isn't the most popular christmas song - yet it topped the singles chart. Things were rather different back then i think - for examples in the 60s the charts were basicaly the popular music. There weren't big subcultures of music back then - i mean sure, there were Stooges fans and Velvet Underground fans or whatever but they could in no way dent the charts of what the majority liked. I think the same applies to most of the 70s.
But let's look at the rise of punk - if we look at the charts in the US back then we see punk just barely peeking through the mud - the subculture was not big enough. If we look at punk in the UK we see the youth subculture pushed back what was the usual "popular" music back then - punk itself becoming the "popular" music (more or less). My point is you can have 2 or more different sub-genres as the popular/charting music.

But anyway, like i said, that was back then. Things today are a bit stranger. Charts now are exactly how you said they are. Maybe today the charts are mostly determined by the preferences of the the 12-16 age group i'm not sure what the hell is happening today. :crazyeye:

Gah too lazy to write more, maybe later. :p

- Guns N Roses
- Van Halen
- Bruce Springsteen
- Bon Jovi
- Metallica
- Styx
- Stevie Ray Vaughan
- George Thorogood
- Motley Crue
- Megadeath
- R.E.M.
- ZZ Top
- Journey
- Quiet Riot
- REO Speedwagon

Guns n' roses - love 'em to bits. but they did only make one truly great album, much as i like select songs from their others (read: patience, november rain)
Van Halen - Not gonna argue about that one...
Bruce - Important and inspirational, but his music fast grows dull for me at least
Bon Jovi - I love glam as much as anyone, but they did take it a tad far. if it wasn't for crap like living on a prayer, always and bed of roses, i would respect them a lot more.
Metallica - Ride the lightning, Master of Puppets, ...And Justice for All are still and always will be epic and brilliant thrash albums, but unfortunately america truly turned them into a monster.
Styx - meh
Stevie ray vaughan - meh
George Thorogood - meh
Motley Crue - Home Sweet Home is brilliant, the rest? not so.
Megadeath - Never shook me in the same way as metallica or slayer.
R.E.M. - not a fan (and i know i'm in a minority)
ZZ Top - la grange... and?
Journey - Don't stop believing, Anyway you want it... anything i've missed?
Quiet Riot - meh
REO speedwagon - meh

and your second list totally undermines the first... it would have been better if you hadn't posted that one.

I think you are right HOWEVER ... What you said applies the most in today's world. I mean it's obvious RATM isn't the most popular christmas song - yet it topped the singles chart. Things were rather different back then i think - for examples in the 60s the charts were basicaly the popular music. There weren't big subcultures of music back then - i mean sure, there were Stooges fans and Velvet Underground fans or whatever but they could in no way dent the charts of what the majority liked. I think the same applies to most of the 70s.
But let's look at the rise of punk - if we look at the charts in the US back then we see punk just barely peeking through the mud - the subculture was not big enough. If we look at punk in the UK we see the youth subculture pushed back what was the usual "popular" music back then - punk itself becoming the "popular" music (more or less). My point is you can have 2 or more different sub-genres as the popular/charting music.

But anyway, like i said, that was back then. Things today are a bit stranger. Charts now are exactly how you said they are. Maybe today the charts are mostly determined by the preferences of the the 12-16 age group i'm not sure what the hell is happening today. :crazyeye:
I suppose that's true, but my basic objection to citing the charts is that they only really indicate popularity/time, rather than just popularity, and certainly not musical influence. Granted, it's probably a fairer measure in those days than it is today, but it's still a simplistic measure of notability. Contemporary popularity is no signifier of staying power.

If European music is anything like the House Music I encountered in Russia, then no, I'd say European music is worse than American, and that's saying something.

It is 2010. All major european and american music styles, especially non-ethnic underground ones, are entirely international. So unless it was special russian house music, it was also american house music. I'm curious just want kind of music you actually heard--there's quite an array of styles.

I think Heretic_Cata is an exception.

He probably knows more about American music than I do :p

A very very very rare exception around here.

I may know more about american music than you, but i definitely know more about british music than lots of people. :D

You probably do! :goodjob:

While I was curious about Eastern European knowledge, I also wanted to get in the Borat joke, though I don't know if anyone got it. :sad:

Top Bottom