Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Leaning to no, but not sure

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • No

Votes: 8 57.1%

• Total voters

Squonk

Deity
I think Azerbaijan is part of the Council of Europe because it was part of the USSR... and it was in the Caucasus, so it was viewed as connected with Russia and Armenia and Georgia, while historically it has more to do with Iran (actually the Azerbaijan proper is in Iran), and ethnically it has more to do with the nations of Central Asia... and Turkey... than Georgia and Armenia. The only "link" between Azerbaijan and Europe was that Caucasian Albania was Christian, before the Muslim conquests. That's quite a weak link, isn't it.

Having that said, Azerbaijan is at least a secular state. Yes, it's horribly tainted with nationalism. For example, the guy who chopped an Armenian in Budapest was, after extradition, freed and hailed as a hero in Baku... and I've been present during a meeting with an Azeri embassador in Warsaw who actually (among other things he said) likened the Armenians with cockroaches. But still it's better than a fundamentalist regime.

Eurovision 2019 will take place in Israel, so Israel is also in Europe.

If you trust in Eurovision (which I always do) Isreal has been in Europe since 1973, empahtically so in 78, 79, 98 and 2018 when they won.

Azerbaijan is full of criminals committing bank fraud.

Is Europe Europe?

I mean, if Canary Islands and Iceland are "Europe", then even Iran should be "Europe".

Is Europe Europe?
Europe is a Swedish band.

Now, as for Azerbaijan… if France had managed to keep its colonies along the southern shore of the Mediterranean long enough they would probably be part of the EU.

Where in Poland is Azerbaijan

Geographically it is in the far fringe. Ethno-culturally it is a hard no, being a West Asian Turkic nation, along with Turkish Cyprus, Tatarstan, and Turkey itself, which I would never put in as 'European'.

The above comments is also why 'European' is basically worthless. Too bad 'Western World' is such a dull descriptor. I would say 'Hesperian', but that just means 'Western(er)' anyway. Surely a better descriptor can exist....

Last edited:
Is Azerbaijan in North Africa?

Geographically it is in the far fringe. Ethno-culturally it is a hard no, being a West Asian Turkic nation, along with Turkish Cyprus, Tatarstan, and Turkey itself, which I would never put in as 'European'.

The above comments is also why 'European' is basically worthless. Too bad 'Western World' is such a dull descriptor. I would say 'Hesperian', but that just means 'Western(er)' anyway. Surely a better descriptor can exist....

The Faustian White Manosphere.

Top Bottom