Is CivFanatics a christian site? It seems to be....

FooTooAy

Chieftain
I see many sigs and posts promoting religion (real world religion, not in game CI religions!) in the Civ forums.

When I post something pro-humanistic and object to the religious proselytizing, I am reprimanded in very unkind language. The moderator is clearly some kind of evangelical.

I come here to talk about GAMES, not real world stuff, and it's very disappointing to have to put up with the horrid religious talk, and then to have a sanctimonious mod smack me down for being pro-humanistic.

Is this a christian site, and I just never knew about it till now?

I'm with John Lennon -- give peace a chance and imagine no religion. BUT I DO NOT WANT TO HAVE TO EXPRESS THOSE VIEWS ON THIS FORUM. It shouldn't even come up!

Why don't they ban all real world religious talk? That's the only way to make it a clean site. You know, separate church and state.

If you have issues with a moderator, you should contact their superior instead of complaining publicly. CFC is not a religious website and instead polices behaviour. If your behaviour is breaking the rules, yes, you will be warned and given a talking to. This is true regardless of your religious beliefs.

The mod is a "super" mod, so apparently there is no appeal.

Also, that doesn't address the constant religious posts and sigs that are on this board.

The mod is a "super" mod, so apparently there is no appeal.

Also, that doesn't address the constant religious posts and sigs that are on this board.

If you've received an infraction, you can appeal it after doing your due diligence with the mod that delivered said infraction. You send the appeal request to another super mod. You can read more here.

As for your second point, I don't see why what people put in their posts and signatures is of any concern to you. If you want to live a life completely devoid of any religious talk, there are probably a couple atheistic dictatorships out there for you. In the meantime, you'll have to make do with understanding and appreciating that people are free to express their opinions and beliefs.

The problem is, THEY are allowed to express beliefs here, but I am not. They don't get deleted, I do.

And by your response, I can see I've run into yet another pro-religious anti-humanist. You're proving my point -- they're all over this freaking board! As mods! You insulted me freely -- whom do I appeal to in order to get YOU banned for your hate speech? (You accuse me of liking dictatorships, who are notoriously anti-humanistic and bloodthirsty. That is EXTREMELY offensive to me!)

And I never said I was an atheist, dude. But as evidenced by your behavior (and others here), you anti-human pro-religious types aren't terribly concerned with being nice to people.

If you've received an infraction, you can appeal it after doing your due diligence with the mod that delivered said infraction. You send the appeal request to another super mod. You can read more here.

As for your second point, I don't see why what people put in their posts and signatures is of any concern to you. If you want to live a life completely devoid of any religious talk, there are probably a couple atheistic dictatorships out there for you. In the meantime, you'll have to make do with understanding and appreciating that people are free to express their opinions and beliefs.

The problem is, THEY are allowed to express beliefs here, but I am not. They don't get deleted, I do.

And by your response, I can see I've run into yet another pro-religious anti-humanist. You're proving my point -- they're all over this freaking board! As mods! You insulted me freely -- whom do I appeal to in order to get YOU banned for your hate speech? (You accuse me of liking dictatorships, who are notoriously anti-humanistic and bloodthirsty. That is EXTREMELY offensive to me!)

And I never said I was an atheist, dude. But as evidenced by your behavior (and others here), you anti-human pro-religious types aren't terribly concerned with being nice to people.

You are allowed to express your beliefs, provided they are worded appropriately and do not directly insult others.

You're welcome to assume my belief system. Whether or not it's true is irrelevant to what I've said. If you were infracted and you disagree with it, contact the moderator and argue your case. If it's unsuccessful and you're still unsatisfied, begin an appeal process and the other moderators will convene on it.

Edit: Also, if you are interested in reporting my post, you can do so at the bottom left next to the green circle. The red triangle will lead you to a page that allows you to report me.

A number of points to note.
  1. This website is not run by or affiliated with any religious organisation, nor does it adhere to a particular religion in the application of its rules.
  2. Posts discussing religion are likely to be considered off-topic, and therefore spam, unless they are located within the designated Off-Topic forum.
  3. Members are allowed to put whatever phrases they like within their signatures, so long as the content fits within the confines of the forum rules. The forum rules do not prohibit the expression of any particular religious or political beliefs, although it is possible that some religious or political beliefs would fall afoul of our general rules against inappropriate content (e.g. the statement of a belief that all those of a certain religion should be killed). Therefore, you are allowed to put a pro-humanist message in your signature, just as you are allowed to put a pro-religious message in your signature. This is not considered off-topic spam, as a signature does not form part of a post.
  4. The forum rules which limit the content of signatures extend to prohibit a signature from containing content that may reasonably be considered offensive. This is subjectively determined by the moderation team, keeping in mind the cultural standards of our forum members. The mere statement of support for a religion, or the mere presence of a statement from a religious text, is not reasonably considered offensive in accordance with the forum rules.
  5. New members do not have a signature. The signature feature is restricted to members who have been registered for 5 days and have made 5 posts. Once those thresholds are reached, you are able to have your own signature, subject to the restrictions mentioned above.
  6. You are able to turn the display of signatures off, so that you don't have to look at anyone's signature. This option is located in the 'Thread Display Options' section of your account settings.
  7. Posts which are reasonably likely to produce a negative reaction from a notional reasonable forum member may be considered trolling. As it happens, attacking a religion or those with particular religious beliefs is reasonably likely to produce such a negative reaction. Religion is a touchy topic, and stoking the flames of an acrimonious religious discussion is not in keeping with the promotion of civil and productive discussion. This conclusion will be fortified if the post is off-topic, and therefore quite uncalled for in the context of the thread in which it is located. There is thus likely to be more freedom to criticise a religion within a thread dedicated to discussing religion in the Off-Topic forum than in the civ forums, where any attempt to divert the topic with a dig at a religion is likely to be considered trolling. Similarly, posts in the civ forums which exist solely to criticise another political or ideological belief are also liable to be considered trolling or spam.
  8. If you are unhappy with a moderator action, the appropriate course of action is to take it up with the moderator in question via PM. Public discussion of a moderator action is strictly prohibited on this website. If you are unable to resolve an issue you have with a moderator, you may contact a supermod (either as part of the official appeals process outlined in the forum rules, or with a more general complaint). If the moderator you are dealing with is themselves a supermod, you can feel free to contact another supermod.

You accuse me of liking dictatorships
No he didn't.

I would very much be interested in examples of this discrepancy that you perceive to exist, because I have a hard time believing it. Mere days ago, someone went on a rant against Islam, calling it fascist and all kinds of evil, and the only warning that was given was one about that being off-topic. The leniency surprised me quite a bit.

Christian? No, I don't think so. Because there were a few times I remember mods gave warning Christians who tried to make fun or insult another religion. I think they keep the balance which is good. And banning religion from forum? Really? Sigh...

I wouldn't mind seeing some substantiation for the "many sigs and posts promoting religion" claim, something I've not noticed. Granted, there was a time when many Civ 4 posters worshipped Bronze Working, and also venerated its child, the Liberalism Bulb . . . :)

I'm a Christian. I never viewed this site as a Christian site, but I will post the Biblical view on stuff if I see it being discussed.

You're perfectly entitled to express your beliefs as long as you do so civilly. The same rules apply to everyone.

And for the record, my views are probably much the same as yours, but I've never had any difficulty expressing them!

Maybe that has to do with the fact that you are a mighty moderator and admin who can strike us off the face of the forum the host of the Ask a Theologian series of threads? ;)

You're on the right track. I can't ban anybody, but I can call in a lightning strike. :D. :)

That would actually be a nice feature in a RTS game, come to think of it. Build a temple, it provides faith. If invaders come and knock it down to 25% health, a big lightning strike kills that unit. Complete with a nice high-pitched, blood-curdling scream. Who wouldn't laugh the first time they saw it?

I guess he needs to visit OT....

It would be really nice if there could be a rule against referring to atheism as a religion.

Top Bottom