Is the term "r*****k" offensive?

It's obnoxious if you edit numerous times including several minutes after the original post. I only edit for spelling and grammar mistakes or sometimes I'll add or remove something immediately after posting.

I'll edit spelling mistakes, and I also have to edit to add in new replies now. I think I'll use @username instead of multiquoting if I have to though because scrolling and typing in between quotes on a mobile browser isn't going to happen.

Is that obnoxious? I got a warning recently for making too many posts and was told to use edit and multiquote.
Too many consecutive posts used to cause a lot of infractions to be given out for spamming. About the worst offender I can remember racked up 11 consecutive posts.

It's obnoxious if you edit numerous times including several minutes after the original post. I only edit for spelling and grammar mistakes or sometimes I'll add or remove something immediately after posting.
Any edits I do on my own posts are as you say - if I spot a spelling/grammar/punctuation mistake, formatting mistake (not using the open/close tags correctly or other BBCode errors), or I realize that what I posted doesn't make sense because a word or phrase is out of place or duplicated.

If I make a factual error that's easily and quickly fixed, I'll do that as well. But I don't keep editing my posts to prevent other people from replying to my original points if I don't like what they're saying, or just to be obnoxious. I've been on the receiving end of that before, and it's really damned rude and inconsiderate.

I don't think anyone does that.

I think the point that is relevant is that you don't hit submit on a half written post, then add another paragraph...then another...

Most of us finish what we have to say before we post it. It's not like there are people waiting with baited breath to watch our thoughts develop.

I don't think anyone does that.
I didn't say it happened here. But it did happen on another forum. Interestingly enough, it was one of the forum owners/admins who thought was a hoot. And then when he'd had enough fun, he closed the thread before anyone else could hit "submit reply."

As I said, obnoxious.

I think the point that is relevant is that you don't hit submit on a half written post, then add another paragraph...then another...
Again, there is a rule in this forum which states you cannot post again until someone else does. This isn't a chat room.

Again, there is a rule in this forum which states you cannot post again until someone else does. This isn't a chat room.

I go back and add to a post sometimes...in the sports forum where it might have sat for a day. In here I don't post until I'm satisfied that what I've tried to say is complete.

Well good for you. And continue to ignore what I just posted.

Well good for you. And continue to ignore what I just posted.

Okay.

Meanwhile you probably shouldn't ignore that the person all these posters are referring to in their complaints is clearly you.

Would it really be such a come down for you to acknowledge the social norms of the forum?

Would it be "such a come down to acknowlededge" the actual complaint in this particular case was that I posted some photos that would have been a violation of the forum rules if someone had not posted first? Something I didn't know when I posted them? :crazyeye:

Or are going to continue with this "obnoxious" discussion instead of discussing the topic?

Well I currently have 4 consecutive posts in the funny gifs thread, and that's after editing one of them with two additional gifs.

So I am being naughty?

You should have put them all in the same post unless there is a huge time difference in the posts. Then it's OK.

Well I currently have 4 consecutive posts in the funny gifs thread, and that's after editing one of them with two additional gifs.

So I am being naughty?
You should PM a moderator and ask. They're willing to explain the rules for anyone who isn't sure about something.

I've linked to an interesting WSJ article from today that talks about the history of "censored" words. The snip is from the middle of the article and related to this thread discussion.

WSJ said:
In other respects, we’re actually quite a bit like our ancestors. We are hardly beyond taboos; we just observe different ones. Today, what we regard as truly profane isn’t religion or sex but the slandering of groups, especially groups that have historically suffered discrimination or worse. Our profanity consists of the N-word, that C-word once suitable for an anatomy book discussion of women’s bodies, and a word beginning with f referring to gay men (and some would include a word referring to women beginning with b).

It might seem strained to compare our feelings about the N-word with a bygone era’s appalled shuddering over the utterance of “By God!” But do note that I have to euphemize the N-word here in print just as someone would have once have felt compelled to say, “By Jove!”

As late as the early 1960s, an episode of “The Dick Van Dyke Show” had middle-class Everycouple Rob and Laura Petrie horrified that their son had uttered what the context suggests was the F-word. The Petries were portrayed as rather “hip” for their era, but Rob actually refers to the word as “evil.”

Today, it is the N-word that such a couple would smack down with precisely this indignation. The response is the same; only the issues of concern have changed.

Use of the N-word turned the previously beloved comedian Michael Richards into a persona non grata in 2006, led to the end of Laura Schlessinger’s syndicated radio show in 2010 and put football player Richie Incognito on the defensive for months in 2013.

Society tiptoes around a stipulation, as fragile as it is formal, that black people can use it but white people can’t. A recent book by Jabari Asim is wholly devoted to outlining the justification and parameters of this arrangement, “The N-Word, Who Can Say It and Why.”

Anthropologists call this sort of response the policing of a taboo, much as we might associate that label exclusively with distant lands. Taboos are about what we fear. In one era, it is the wrath of God; in another, hanky-panky; in ours, the defamation of groups.

We may feel that the taboo against discrimination is a moral advance. Indeed, we can celebrate that we are blissfully past the days when, in 1934, an aide to young Nelson Rockefeller would write of a new secretary, “She weighs close to 200, has red hair, and is a niggir [sic],” as Richard Norton Smith recounts in his recent biography.

WSJ

What history tells us is this too will pass as new" horrid, never to be spoken" words arise and we adjust to a new normal of what is acceptable.

I'm not familiar with social differences in the US. So, excuse my ignorance if I know it wrong.

That word "Redneck", using to describe farmer class or something in the US, right? So, it's definitely offensive. Has no difference than other insulting words for discriminate some race/ethnicity/religious group.

Its more to so with southern typically rebublican Americans.

Go onto youtube and watch some honey boo boo child. They call themselves 'redneckified' and use it as a term of endearment.

I'll just say again that individual words alone are not offensive.

I take far more offense over people asking me where I came from as opposed to using a singular racial slur against me.

I'm not surprised you being touchy about where you come from if it's Bradford.

Spoiler :
I'm joking! I scarcely know Bradford.

We've had problems with racism almost since the beginning of humanity( I say "almost" because I doubt that Adam or Eve were racists against each other). I think the real issue is one of name-calling, racist or not. Even children do it. Get over it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom