Is the term "r*****k" offensive?

Well good because I never stated that. :crazyeye:

As I pointed out in the part you just quoted. :lol:

That's why I added the but.......

It's hard to tell because I think you've been a little inconsistent about this, it is a silly thing to argue about in the end however.

Again, that is how I use the word. And so do many others including the black gentleman which this thread is actually about. He used it in reference to 3 Republican county commission members because he felt he was being discriminated against based on his race.

It's a reference to sunburn on the neck. Hence someone white that works outside.

or did you mean cracker. Calling someone cracker could get you killed.

J
Yes I meant "cracker". As I recall it was a derogatory name used by blacks towards whites as an offset for the N word.

Calling someone cracker could get you killed.

J

But why?

Why is the use of any word at all grounds (justifiably or not) for killing someone? Just how injurious can a word be that it provokes such a response?

On the other hand, why not? But if not, can I please have a list of these words so I know never to use any of them?

Isn't a word just a harmless string of letters? How can a word alone be a reason to kill someone?

Just because we give a certain combination of letters a seriously negative definition doesn't make that word itself harmful, but only because our brains interpret it to be.

Well, for every shibboleth I guess there must be an anti-shibboleth. It's just a law of nature.

If there's a set of words that gains you admission to a club, then there's another set to exclude you. How can it be otherwise?

Yes I meant "cracker". As I recall it was a derogatory name used by blacks towards whites as an offset for the N word.
According to the epic Chevy Chase / Richard Pryor SNL "word association" skit, that would be used in response to "burr head". The response to the N word would be "dead honky".

But why?

Why is the use of any word at all grounds (justifiably or not) for killing someone? Just how injurious can a word be that it provokes such a response?

On the other hand, why not? But if not, can I please have a list of these words so I know never to use any of them?

There is no list. What I call "lose your mind words" are target specific and situational.

For example a friend of mine who grew up in Compton was working security and a customer tried the standard LYMW that starts with an N and is usually effective, expecting it to cause my friend great stress but not escalate the confrontation to blows. I would never use that word unless I was trying to get the other guy to swing. Situational. (For the record some white guy beat that guy down in the parking lot. Oddly enough security did not get a good description.)

Some people can't be made to lose their mind at all. Others have such a wide array of buttons that not pushing one is the real challenge. There are definitely words that are widespread effective against groups, but they don't always work so target specific is still true for them. It should be noted that the really strong LYMWs actually work moderately well even outside their expected target group. In the previous example "I think it's you. You're my n....." almost got the guy to get up for another round when nothing else would.

To some degree this is true. Since it has been 150 years since crackers existed in USA or CSA, it does not bite as deep. It once bit deeper. Skin color is easy to prove or disprove. Thoughts and intents, not so much.

But why?

Using the n word can get you killed. The reasons are the same and necessary conditions similar.

J

To some degree this is true. Since it has been 150 years since crackers existed in USA or CSA, it does not bite as deep. It once bit deeper. Skin color is easy to prove or disprove. Thoughts and intents, not so much.
As I already showed on the previous page, many self-proclaimed crackers are still doing quite well in Georgia and Florida, much less not existing for 150 years.

Link to video.

Link to video.

As I already showed on the previous page, many self-proclaimed crackers are still doing quite well in Georgia and Florida, much less not existing for 150 years.

I fail to see a contradiction. If you were to play up the connotations of slave driver and bully, but play down the connotations of poor and white, I think you would see exceptions taken.

J

That isn't the meaning of the term at all.

Cracker (pejorative)

Cracker, sometimes white cracker or cracka, is a derogatory term for white people,[1] especially poor rural whites in the Southern United States. In reference to a native of Florida or Georgia, however, it is sometimes used in a neutral or positive context or self-descriptively with pride (see Florida cracker and Georgia cracker).[2
There is no mention at all of "slave driver" or "bully" in the entire article except for this source of obvious misinformation.

Glossaries of African-American slang of the 1990s record the popular etymology associating the term with bullwhips used to punish African slaves, with such use of the whip being described as "cracking the whip".[11]

That clearly isn't the actual etymology of the term:

cracker (n.2)

Southern U.S. derogatory term for "poor, white trash" (1766), probably an agent noun from crack (v.) in the sense "to boast" (as in not what it's cracked up to be). Compare Latin crepare "to rattle, crack, creak," with a secondary figurative sense of "boast of, prattle, make ado about."

I should explain to your Lordship what is meant by crackers; a name they have got from being great boasters; they are a lawless set of rascalls on the frontiers of Virginia, Maryland, the Carolinas and Georgia, who often change their places of abode. [1766, G. Cochrane]

But DARE compares corn-cracker "poor white farmer" (1835, U.S. Midwest colloquial). Especially of Georgians by 1808, though often extended to residents of northern Florida. Another name in mid-19c. use was sand-hiller "poor white in Georgia or South Carolina."

Not very essentially different is the condition of a class of people living in the pine-barrens nearest the coast [of South Carolina], as described to me by a rice-planter. They seldom have any meat, he said, except they steal hogs, which belong to the planters, or their negroes, and their chief diet is rice and milk. "They are small, gaunt, and cadaverous, and their skin is just the color of the sand-hills they live on. They are quite incapable of applying themselves steadily to any labor, and their habits are very much like those of the old Indians." [Frederick Law Olmsted, "A Journey in the Seaboard Slave States," 1856]

Using the n word can get you killed. The reasons are the same and necessary conditions similar.

J

You may be right. But without telling me what those reasons and necessary conditions are, I'm really none the wiser.

They may, I suspect, be completely obvious to you. But they aren't to me.

Words can cause people's deaths, though, I'll admit.

For example: "That you be taken from hence to the place from whence you came, and from thence to a place of execution, where you shall be hanged by the neck until you be dead; your body to be dissected and anatomized", while not being the sort of words I'd want to hear personally, they are nonetheless quite likely to prove fatal.

Stinky fatties is the more politically correct terminology being farmed out in this parts.

Are you Saul?

(and isn't Saul a redneck-jew hybrid? :hmm: )

As for the term, well, it is a stupid term, and obviously a slur. I suppose it means backward hillbilly. It is somewhat a dumb insult at any rate.

Also not liking the angle of this story, particularly if the person using the term publicly indeed was upset over not being given a free paid vacation :mischief:

And i think that the US should try to solve this racial hatred issue, cause banning and shaming won't solve anything. It never has. And such tensions must be minimised...

Are you Saul?

(and isn't Saul a redneck-jew hybrid? :hmm: )
Nope. There isn't anything redneck about Saul. And it turns out from the spin-off series that he pretended to be Jewish to help his business.

And i think that the US should try to solve this racial hatred issue, cause banning and shaming won't solve anything. It never has. And such tensions must be minimised...
Um, hello pot.

In Greece, Racist Attacks On The Rise

ATHENS, Greece -- The number of racially motivated attacks increased in Greece last year, as did the severity of the violence involved, human rights groups said Wednesday.

The incidents have spiraled as Greece's economy has worsened over the past few years. Relying on international rescue loans to remain solvent, the country has imposed deep spending cuts that have sent unemployment soaring to around 27 percent.

The Racist Violence Recording Network reported 154 cases of racist violence in 2012, including 25 in which the victims said the perpetrators were police. The figures were released a week after more than 30 Bangladeshi workers suffered shotgun wounds on a strawberry farm in southern Greece during a dispute with foremen over back pay.

Kostis Papaioannou, head of the National Commission for Human Rights, said the number of attacks recorded increased 20 percent from the previous year. But, he noted, the true number could be much higher because many victims are afraid to come forward, fearing further mistreatment by authorities or deportation for entering the country illegally.

There have been numerous reports of police, who are at the forefront of a government crackdown on foreigners in the country illegally, mistreating immigrants during routine document checks on the street or during detentions. The police have repeatedly said they investigate all reported cases of mistreatment.

The network, composed of 30 aid and human rights groups, records cases only when it has spoken to the victim themselves.

The 2012 figures "shows some very interesting and very worrying tendencies regarding racist violence in Greece," Papaioannou said. "We have both an increase in the numbers of attacks but also – which is really worrying too – we have an escalation of in the tension of this violence."

The vast majority of attacks occurred in Athens, mainly in inner city neighborhoods. Immigrants are often set upon by groups of men wielding metal bars, chains, brass knuckles, broken bottles, knives and wooden clubs. The victims suffer from broken bones, damage to sight and hearing and extensive bruising, the network said.

One fatality was recorded last year – a 31-year-old Egyptian man who died of head injuries 17 days after falling into a coma following a severe beating, the network said.

Reza Golami, the head of an association of Afghans living in Greece, said many migrants have become too afraid to leave their homes.

"There live with fear inside them, whether it's the fear of the police or the fear of racists," he said. "They don't dare leave their homes to buy a loaf of bread. This is not something that affects men alone, but even women and small children. We have witnessed hundreds of such cases."

But rights groups say there is still much to be done. They noted that the conditions in which the Bangladeshi strawberry pickers had been working under – living in disused greenhouses or makeshift shacks and being unpaid for months – was a situation that dates back several years.

Papaioannou said there were reports of racist incidents in schools, and minors have been reported to have participated in some racist attacks outside of schools.

"This is a very worrying side of the racist crime phenomenon in Greece," Papaioannou said. "The fact that it is infiltrating schools, that racist groups recruit children in the schools."
All racism should stop. Everywhere. And one way to do so is to confront the racists and bigots.

Nope. There isn't anything redneck about Saul. And it turns out from the spin-off series that he pretended to be Jewish to help his business.

Um, hello pot.

In Greece, Racist Attacks On The Rise

All racism should stop. Everywhere. And one way to do so is to confront the racists and bigots.

ΛΟΛ;

You are srsly comparing Greece to US racial-tension wise?

Ok, maybe we can move over your reactionary post to some sort of logical discussion? :jesus:

(let alone that your article, which you had also posted years ago, is somewhat old too, from 2013).

Food for thought.

Mullets are associated with rednecks yet if you have a decent one your neck should be protected from the sun's harmful rays.

You are srsly comparing Greece to US racial-tension wise?
No, I'm not. I'm pointing out that Greece obviously needs to change too. So I think you should have made your comment much more generic. At least many of us are actually trying to resolve the racist aspects of our country instead of apparently ignoring them.

Ok, maybe we can move over your reactionary post to some sort of logical discussion? :jesus:
As you are doing from merely mentioning racism in your own country?

(let alone that your article, which you had also posted years ago, is somewhat old too, from 2013).
Right. Like things have actually changed for the better since the economy is now worse than it was two years ago. :crazyeye:

And why did I post what is likely a similar story years ago after you denied there was any serious racial problems in Greece?

^Well, i have no reason to doubt you can see yourself how that is not an argument. Besides, there are no scandals here re race or tied abuse each month, as in the US.

And of course things can change for the better everywhere, but Greece is obviously not in any way some paradigm of racial hostility or other such issues.

(actually i was looking for the other darth vader/tsipras meme, and the above looks really bad :D )

Right. There isn't any "scandal" at all at the way anybody who even appears they might be an immigrant can be beaten senseless at any moment on the streets of Athens:

8 of the Worst Countries For Black People to Travel

Greece

Human rights groups report that the number of racially motivated attacks have increased in Greece, as did the severity of the violence involved. Kostis Papaioannou, head of the National Commission for Human Rights, says the 2012 figures “shows some very interesting and very worrying tendencies regarding racist violence in Greece. We have both an increase in the numbers of attacks but also – which is really worrying too – we have an escalation of the tension of this violence.” The incidents have spiraled as Greece’s economy has worsened over the past few years.

The vast majority of attacks occurred in Athens, mainly in inner-city neighborhoods. Immigrants are often set upon by groups of men wielding metal bars, chains, brass knuckles, broken bottles, knives and wooden clubs. The victims suffer from broken bones, damage to sight and hearing and extensive bruising, reports the Racist Violence Recording Network, composed of 30 aid and human rights groups.

Meanwhile, the U.S. Embassy in Greece has warned Americans traveling to Greece to be wary of “a rise in unprovoked harassment and violent attacks against persons who, because of their complexion, are perceived as foreign migrants.”

“U.S. citizens most at risk are those of African, Asian, Hispanic or Middle Eastern descent in Athens and other major cities,” cautions the embassy in a statement first posted on its website last November.

Top Bottom