1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Is the term "r*****k" offensive?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Sommerswerd, Jul 12, 2015.

1. NovaKart

NovaKart شێری گەورە

That's why I added the but.......

It's hard to tell because I think you've been a little inconsistent about this, it is a silly thing to argue about in the end however.

2. Formaldehyde

Formaldehyde Both Fair And Balanced

Again, that is how I use the word. And so do many others including the black gentleman which this thread is actually about. He used it in reference to 3 Republican county commission members because he felt he was being discriminated against based on his race.

3. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Retired Moderator Supporter

Yes I meant "cracker". As I recall it was a derogatory name used by blacks towards whites as an offset for the N word.

4. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

But why?

Why is the use of any word at all grounds (justifiably or not) for killing someone? Just how injurious can a word be that it provokes such a response?

On the other hand, why not? But if not, can I please have a list of these words so I know never to use any of them?

5. bhavv

bhavv Glorious World Dictator

Isn't a word just a harmless string of letters? How can a word alone be a reason to kill someone?

Just because we give a certain combination of letters a seriously negative definition doesn't make that word itself harmful, but only because our brains interpret it to be.

6. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

Well, for every shibboleth I guess there must be an anti-shibboleth. It's just a law of nature.

If there's a set of words that gains you admission to a club, then there's another set to exclude you. How can it be otherwise?

7. Formaldehyde

According to the epic Chevy Chase / Richard Pryor SNL "word association" skit, that would be used in response to "burr head". The response to the N word would be "dead honky".

8. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Deity

There is no list. What I call "lose your mind words" are target specific and situational.

For example a friend of mine who grew up in Compton was working security and a customer tried the standard LYMW that starts with an N and is usually effective, expecting it to cause my friend great stress but not escalate the confrontation to blows. I would never use that word unless I was trying to get the other guy to swing. Situational. (For the record some white guy beat that guy down in the parking lot. Oddly enough security did not get a good description.)

Some people can't be made to lose their mind at all. Others have such a wide array of buttons that not pushing one is the real challenge. There are definitely words that are widespread effective against groups, but they don't always work so target specific is still true for them. It should be noted that the really strong LYMWs actually work moderately well even outside their expected target group. In the previous example "I think it's you. You're my n....." almost got the guy to get up for another round when nothing else would.

9. onejayhawk

onejayhawk Afflicted with reason

To some degree this is true. Since it has been 150 years since crackers existed in USA or CSA, it does not bite as deep. It once bit deeper. Skin color is easy to prove or disprove. Thoughts and intents, not so much.

Using the n word can get you killed. The reasons are the same and necessary conditions similar.

J

10. Formaldehyde

As I already showed on the previous page, many self-proclaimed crackers are still doing quite well in Georgia and Florida, much less not existing for 150 years.

Link to video.

Link to video.

11. onejayhawk

onejayhawk Afflicted with reason

I fail to see a contradiction. If you were to play up the connotations of slave driver and bully, but play down the connotations of poor and white, I think you would see exceptions taken.

J

12. Formaldehyde

That isn't the meaning of the term at all.

Cracker (pejorative)

There is no mention at all of "slave driver" or "bully" in the entire article except for this source of obvious misinformation.

That clearly isn't the actual etymology of the term:

13. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

You may be right. But without telling me what those reasons and necessary conditions are, I'm really none the wiser.

They may, I suspect, be completely obvious to you. But they aren't to me.

Words can cause people's deaths, though, I'll admit.

For example: "That you be taken from hence to the place from whence you came, and from thence to a place of execution, where you shall be hanged by the neck until you be dead; your body to be dissected and anatomized", while not being the sort of words I'd want to hear personally, they are nonetheless quite likely to prove fatal.

14. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

Are you Saul?

(and isn't Saul a redneck-jew hybrid? :hmm: )

As for the term, well, it is a stupid term, and obviously a slur. I suppose it means backward hillbilly. It is somewhat a dumb insult at any rate.

Also not liking the angle of this story, particularly if the person using the term publicly indeed was upset over not being given a free paid vacation :mischief:

And i think that the US should try to solve this racial hatred issue, cause banning and shaming won't solve anything. It never has. And such tensions must be minimised...

15. Formaldehyde

Nope. There isn't anything redneck about Saul. And it turns out from the spin-off series that he pretended to be Jewish to help his business.

Um, hello pot.

In Greece, Racist Attacks On The Rise

All racism should stop. Everywhere. And one way to do so is to confront the racists and bigots.

16. Kyriakos

ΛΟΛ;

You are srsly comparing Greece to US racial-tension wise?

Ok, maybe we can move over your reactionary post to some sort of logical discussion? :jesus:

(let alone that your article, which you had also posted years ago, is somewhat old too, from 2013).

17. Cynovolans

Cynovolans Not in my dimension.

Food for thought.

Mullets are associated with rednecks yet if you have a decent one your neck should be protected from the sun's harmful rays.

18. Formaldehyde

No, I'm not. I'm pointing out that Greece obviously needs to change too. So I think you should have made your comment much more generic. At least many of us are actually trying to resolve the racist aspects of our country instead of apparently ignoring them.

As you are doing from merely mentioning racism in your own country?

Right. Like things have actually changed for the better since the economy is now worse than it was two years ago. :crazyeye:

And why did I post what is likely a similar story years ago after you denied there was any serious racial problems in Greece?

19. Kyriakos

^Well, i have no reason to doubt you can see yourself how that is not an argument. Besides, there are no scandals here re race or tied abuse each month, as in the US.

And of course things can change for the better everywhere, but Greece is obviously not in any way some paradigm of racial hostility or other such issues.

(actually i was looking for the other darth vader/tsipras meme, and the above looks really bad :D )

20. Formaldehyde

Right. There isn't any "scandal" at all at the way anybody who even appears they might be an immigrant can be beaten senseless at any moment on the streets of Athens:

8 of the Worst Countries For Black People to Travel