Islands give Finns Lisabon treaty problem

crabapple

I am watching
Islands give Finns treaty problem

By Laurence Peter
BBC News

A tiny autonomous archipelago off Finland could soon add to the EU's Lisbon Treaty woes.

The Aland Islands, which lie between Sweden and Finland, have yet to vote on the EU's reform treaty - and a No would further undermine its legal credibility. Irish voters rejected the treaty in June.

Under the act of autonomy with Finland, the islands - home to just 27,000 people - have the right to vote separately on EU treaties.

The Finnish parliament has already ratified the Lisbon Treaty, but now it is the turn of the 30-member Aland assembly.

Aland MPs want a bigger say over EU legislation before agreeing to Lisbon. That probably means Finland will first have to change the act of autonomy to give the Aland assembly more influence.

The reform treaty - aimed at improving decision-making in the enlarged EU - cannot take effect unless it is ratified by all 27 member states.

Snuff dispute

When Finland - including the Aland Islands - joined the EU in 1995, "Aland did not get enough influence," Susanne Eriksson, Deputy Secretary General of the Aland Parliament, told the BBC.

"The most important thing is we would like the possibility to defend ourselves in the European Court of Justice," she said.

The Aland Islands, whose people speak Swedish, were at the centre of an EU dispute last year over oral tobacco. A type of moist snuff called snus is traditionally used in Nordic countries.

Current EU law bans oral tobacco in all member states except Sweden, which manufactures a form of snus deemed to be less harmful to health.

In October 2007 the European Commission referred Finland to the European Court of Justice for a second time for failing to comply with an earlier court ruling on oral tobacco sales.

The commission said that Aland legislation still allowed oral tobacco sales on ships registered in the islands and that tourists as well as islanders could buy the tobacco there.

It asked the court to impose a fine of about 2m euros (£1.6m) on Finland, with a daily penalty payment of 19,828 euros if Finland failed to comply. The court has not yet ruled on the case.

ALAND ISLANDS
Archipelago in Baltic Sea
Autonomous part of Finland since 1920
Land area: 1,551sq km (599 sq miles) - main island forms more than 70%
Population: About 27,000, nearly all on main island

"The problem is, Finland agreed with the commission," Ms Eriksson told the BBC News website on Tuesday. "So Aland got no chance to defend itself. If there are penalties for Finland to pay, then according to the act of autonomy Aland could be obliged to pay part of them."

A senior Finnish justice ministry official, Jaana Jaaskelainen, said "it would create a very awkward situation for the Aland Islands if they rejected the Lisbon Treaty - we don't have experience of such a matter".

Finland wants to reach a deal with the islanders soon, as the Finnish president is due to sign the treaty ratification law in September.

The Aland Islands also want to have an MEP to represent them in Brussels, as part of the Finnish team - and that is among the issues under discussion with the Finnish government.

Local laws

Helsinki is now trying to reach a new deal with the Aland MPs on their powers in relation to EU policy, Ms Jaaskelainen, head of the justice ministry's EU legislation unit, told the BBC.

The Finnish parliament can't represent Aland in our fields of competence
Susanne Eriksson
Aland parliament official

When the islands joined the EU they secured various exemptions from EU law, covering local taxation and restrictions on non-residents' rights to own property and operate services on the islands.

A two-thirds majority is needed for the Aland parliament to adopt the Lisbon Treaty. "Today there is a strong feeling among our politicians that there is not a qualified majority in favour of Lisbon," Ms Eriksson said.

"All of our political parties say 'We'd like to say yes, but we're interested in first getting decent conditions'," she explained.

The Republic of Ireland was the only EU member state to hold a referendum on the Lisbon Treaty. The other countries that have not yet ratified it are the Czech Republic, Poland and Sweden.

Critics see the treaty as further evidence of a federalist, pro-integration agenda at work in the EU. They say the treaty is just a modified version of the EU constitution, rejected by French and Dutch voters in 2005.

Another of Aland's conditions is that it wants its parliament to have a vote in cases where it feels EU legislation violates its competence.

"The Finnish parliament can't represent Aland in our fields of competence," Ms Eriksson said.

Moreover, a qualified majority is needed in the Finnish parliament to change the act of autonomy - and that is by no means certain, she added.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7582077.stm

For the first time ever, my islands are mentioned in global media :king:

Anyway, the root of the problem is that ALand have no say in EU at all, with means that makes the atonomy null and void, and of course we will fight for our right to keep our voice heard, but hopefully the Finns will give in, but its very unlikely, with leads to a very diffcult situation... I am not sure at all what is going to happen...

Have I mentioned that I am fed up with small completely irrelevant tiny countries (or autonomous parts of countries - Gods!) using extortion against the EU?

Do you seriously believe it's fair to threaten the future of EU's 500 million citizens because of some local problems? I do not. The Lisbon treaty has nothing to do with that, so leave it out of it.

I'm fed up with eastern european countries telling established EU countries what to do.
But I hope that these islands reject Lisbon so the whole treaty is nullified.

Have I mentioned that I am fed up with small completely irrelevant tiny countries (or autonomous parts of countries - Gods!) using extortion against the EU?

Do you seriously believe it's fair to threaten the future of EU's 500 million citizens because of some local problems? I do not. The Lisbon treaty has nothing to do with that, so leave it out of it.

Well i agree, i am positive to the Lisbon treaty and i want to see it ratifed. But the problem is that the Finns refuse to listen, and like to go over our heads with stuff that we should have a say ,according to our atonomy, through the EU. With forces Aland to do something drastic.

I dont agree with this forcefullness, but most people on Aland do, and unless the Finland agrees to some demands, or that the EU ratify some agreement with special mentions for atonomy regions rights, i dont think there is anyway to solve this..

Well i agree, i am positive to the Lisbon treaty and i want to see it ratifed. But the problem is that the Finns refuse to listen, and like to go over our heads with stuff that we should have a say ,according to our atonomy, through the EU. With forces Aland to do something drastic.

As I said, extortion and blackmail. It's like taking children hostage because their father owns you money.

I dont agree with this forcefullness, but most people on Aland do, and unless the Finland agrees to some demands, or that the EU ratify some agreement with special mentions for atonomy regions rights, i dont think there is anyway to solve this..

Instead of launching a positive campaign promoting their interests, they use threats and blackmail. This is gonna backfire one day, when they'll need something from the Finns or the EU. Then it will be like "who? Those pesky islanders who helped to kill the Lisbon treaty? Screw them, they're not gonna get anything from us!".

nstead of launching a positive campaign promoting their interests, they use threats and blackmail. This is gonna backfire one day, when they'll need something from the Finns or the EU. Then it will be like "who? Those pesky islanders who helped to kill the Lisbon treaty? Screw them, they're not gonna get anything from us!".
:lol::lol::lol::lol:Oh, the irony is blinding...

Why should the islanders give up their power to the fin gov? The central gov needs to write up a piece of leglislation to protect the competencies of the island then this will be a non issue.

Instead of launching a positive campaign promoting their interests, they use threats and blackmail. This is gonna backfire one day, when they'll need something from the Finns or the EU. Then it will be like "who? Those pesky islanders who helped to kill the Lisbon treaty? Screw them, they're not gonna get anything from us!".

Aland have tried to go more diplomatic route since they joined EU , didnt work.

Well if Finns ignore us totally as you said, they will push Aland to politicans that want us to become an a seprate country. And that the Finns dont want, and neither do I.. We do happen to be the richest area in Finland so we could do it on our own.

Alanders have any right to protect their recognized rights. Size is not important in legal matters. If Finland doesn't want to protect their interests, they should offer them another treaty or independence (or a position similar to the Faroes, part of Denmark, but outside the EU).

Damn League of Nations. I knew they'd only bring problems.

Aland have tried to go more diplomatic route since they joined EU , didnt work.

Well if Finns ignore us totally as you said, they will push Aland to politicans that want us to become an a seprate country. And that the Finns dont want, and neither do I.. We do happen to be the richest area in Finland so we could do it on our own.

Oh jeez, not this myth again ("we're rich, screw the rest of the country").

For the sake of the argument - you get independent and become the newest addition to the collection of European minicountries. You'll have to make some kind of a deal with the EU about trade and stuff like that. How willing do you think would the EU be to listen to you if you killed their precious Lisbon treaty? :)

Seriously, if you have a problem with the Finnish government, don't drag the EU into this.

No, do drag the EU into this, because I think the majority of EU citizens will consider Aland as the great heroes of Europe :)

Oh jeez, not this myth again ("we're rich, screw the rest of the country").

For the sake of the argument - you get independent and become the newest addition to the collection of European minicountries. You'll have to make some kind of a deal with the EU about trade and stuff like that. How willing do you think would the EU be to listen to you if you killed their precious Lisbon treaty? :)

Seriously, if you have a problem with the Finnish government, don't drag the EU into this.

I dont want to get independent, I am just saying, in this kind of relationship, cooperation should be chosen before trying to push each other away. its a two way street, but the Finns continue to ignore us. we should get the say we are intitled to, we arent asking for more.

I dont want to get independent, I am just saying, in this kind of relationship, cooperation should be chosen before trying to push each other away. its a two way street, but the Finns continue to ignore us. we should get the say we are intitled to, we arent asking for more.

Again, you have a problem with the Finns, leave the rest of the EU out of this.

I think the minority of EU-haters will be very disappointed :lol:

First of all: Opposing Lisbon does not equal hating the EU

Secondly: in all the plebiscites and votes where the populatio were allowed a vote, how many countries ratified the original Eu constitution?
Because I distinctly remember it being rejected by the Dutch and the french amongst others.

Spoiler :
Preemptive spoiler

your answer is going to be how everyone who voted against it is a moron

Quit bashing Ålands. You've never been there! (I have!)

Top Bottom