Israel, Philistines and Biblical Civilizations

Though I agree, that logic would necessitate the removal of the Kibbutz.

Indeed. But Leugi doesn't want to change this. Israel in modern times and in the bible are the same people, so he wants to cover all ages and not to do another biblical unique without something of modern Israel.

I'm personally in favor of an Israel civ consistently feeling Biblical, if the leader is a Biblical figure; then again, I'm also one of the few people who plays Civilization as if it were a historical simulation game. :) Earlier this summer, I wrote to Leugi about doing a "remod" in that vein; he gave me permission as long as I credited him for the original. (No estimated release date yet, though -- beyond "after I finish an earlier Sweden in playable condition". An Israel remod interests me mostly because any ancient, Old World culture interests me; a Swedish split interests me because I have more personal ties to Sweden. *shrug*)

Indeed, Isnorden will do a full Biblical edit :D ...

Anyway... All of Philistine icons are done:

I am also displaying my Philistia hype levels.

They are visible from space.

The hype train goes choo choo.

Israel in modern times and in the bible are the same people.

Thats a contentious claim at best. I'd personally prefer it without the Kibbutz but its all personal eh?

Okay guys, I'm gonna step in here and say please tread very lightly around the whole Israel discussion. It's a contentious issue at the best of times and has potential to flare up further, and I really don't want to have to take action and remove posts and all that, but I'll have no choice if it flares up.

On a more topical note, the icons look fantastic. I think this will be the first time since Ambrox's civs that I'll actually have time to play a game with them!

The icons are awesome!!! But... what is the symbol on the orange icon? Is looks like fish(I'm serious)

The icons are awesome!!! But... what is the symbol on the orange icon? Is looks like fish(I'm serious)

Well that's because it is a fish... well kinda, Dagon was a deity in the Levant which was depicted as a... well a merman.

Leugi do you want some ideas about decisions for Israel? I got a pretty good one:

Centralization of Worship: A unique Grand Temple appears in the capital which gives a global +1 faith and gold for pastures but all shrines and temples are destroyed and can no longer be built. (also every city receives a dummy temple which yields no faith/cities generate 25% more gold if Theocracy policy is present)
Parameters: must be constructed at your original capital, holy city and must have shrines in all cities.

Now I mostly just things that felt for me essential for this decision it will most likely need some tinkering amount to make balanced.

Small suggestion for the Israel civ: use a different icon to distinguish it from the Jewish religion. Otherwise, it's hard to tell whether a city has been conquered, converted, or both. (My full Biblical remod will probably use the seven-branched menorah for the civ's icon, as LastSword did. What color combination, though, would suit ancient Israel without looking too much like the Greek colors?)

Small suggestion for the Israel civ: use a different icon to distinguish it from the Jewish religion. Otherwise, it's hard to tell whether a city has been conquered, converted, or both. (My full Biblical remod will probably use the seven-branched menorah for the civ's icon, as LastSword did. What color combination, though, would suit ancient Israel without looking too much like the Greek colors?)

It's pretty distinguishable from Greece? Alexander has a very light pastel blue on pure white, Israel has a much bolder cobalt on a very light peach. The difference is pretty obvious in-game.

Indeed, I'll implement a "Build the Temple of Jerusalem" Decision, which may be done more than once should the temple be lost (the temple is always lost on city capture, but may only be built on the original capital)... The decisions system is amazing, and it seriously allows these nice historical hints.

Though I agree, that logic would necessitate the removal of the Kibbutz.

Not necessarily, Urdnot_Scott. The kibbutz existed before 1948, The first was built in 1909. I think he should just leave it.

Listened to the Prodigy today and this idea came to my head for Israel: Great Prophets receive promotion Wall of Jericho which allows them to destroy adjacent enemy cities defenses.

Sounds rather strong so limiting the amount of times it could occur to 1 seems like a nice balance or you could always limit it to destroy only few specific buildings (walls, castle etc.) but the first option will make producing GP ever more valuable, of course this is all a replacement for the rather dull combat strength bonus.

Top Bottom