• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Jesus thinks I'm a pillock

Jesus is correct: Borachio is a pillock.

• Total voters
Are there any sharks in the Bible?

Yes, but they believe that winning at gambling is due to God, not skill. So, sharks get away with a lot.

Proverbs 16:33 said:
The lot is cast into the lap,
but its every decision is from the Lord.

Lookit.

Isn't the Jesus of the quote, the one who thinks I'm a pillock, an advocate of the Theravada perspective: where one finds liberation for oneself alone?

In contraposition to the Mahayana perspective where the Bodhisattva deliberately postpones his/her liberation in the interests of all sentient beings.

In the first case the seeker is being deliberately selfish, and in the second it's a case of the blind leading the blind.

So what's to do, CFC? What's the way round this paradox?

Is it a paradox?

Spoiler :
Number 5: The Pike

I'm also not convinced that fish don't have feelings. I'm agnostic on the topic, but I've not carefully perused the literature, either.

I find it impossible to believe that the skate isn't a highly intelligent creature.

Spoiler :

A sexy creature, too. If a little cold-blooded.

:(

That fish image makes me feel sad.

I know there are many far uglier ones (eg those in the abyss of the oceans), but the above fish still looks very much like a victim*.

*As in "I wonder what that shining hook**-like thing is in front of me, let me bite on it for a while"

**replace with some notion more familiar to fish, eg twisted coral reef.

The ocean is a vast place. With many diverse species and predators. It seems unreasonable (though it may be possible) to suppose that intelligent life, among the fishy world, hasn't been able, or wouldn't be obliged, to evolve there. Though clearly some fish are rather dumb. I'm looking at you, sardines.

Spoiler :

Now, look, I know the nautilus isn't technically a fish. But I'm going with Moby Dick on this one: if it swims in the water it's a fish. OK?

Besides, it's a nautilus!!!!

Building stuff underwater is a lot more challenging than building it up here where it's dry though, so even if there were intelligent creatures down there, it might not really be that evident.

What if Jesus walked on intelligent fish he was in cahoots with during that whole "Look at me, I'm walking on water" stunt?

Octapodes supposedly are very intelligent, but they don't appear to ever evolve their skills, or at least evolve their use of basic tools they can manipulate for set goals.

ps: Octopoi sounds horrible! :O

Apes never evolve tool use either, despite being able to use the tools they can pick up or be given.
I suppose they don't "see" any incentive to do something other than to get to the end result in a specific situation. At least when it involves tools or other added abilities.

Don't some apes use tools? Some parrots do and I think a couple other species of bird too.

They do, for example crows and ravens use them too and rather elaborately :)

However i mean that they do not then move on to expand on that periodic use, and advance their species in regards to tools. It would be as if humans just used primitive tools, very minorly altered (ie not fire being utilised for changes), so as to do basic actions, and then not see any more benefit in dealing with those tools.

Even stranger, though, is that some ants have developed a sort of agriculture (fungi) and also a type of domestication (they use a smaller insect for its body products). I wonder how this happened, cause one has to assume it was not so from the start. But then it did not evolve further.

Aliens? ;)

Top Bottom