JFC1: Spacecakes

I suspect that won't be necessary. I think Omaha is far enough away from America's flip area.

Yea I wouldn't think it will anyway since it was from a congress vote and not a flip. But either way their ten turns should be up before they can get units to march on Omaha.

Argh... sorry peoples, I've been a terrible SGer here. The truth is that I have assignments due that haven't gone to schedule, so now I really should absent myself until friday. Here's the save before that vote (at least, that's my recollection), good luck, and I'll check back in at the end of the week. Many apologies.

OK, see you again on Friday, Sweetacshon. For now, LtCowprod, let's play from the save just posted - you're up for 10.

Actually that's not the right save. Germany still has Berlin and we're researching Steam Power! :lol: We should be around 1750 or so...

Hey what are we saving these GE's for? There are two of them sitting in Amsterdam. I was about to make a play at the SoL for possible cash but noticed them there.... Other option is partial bulb Assembly Line but that's already out there now.

Let's save one of them for <harp>the Channel Tunnel, crucial overpowered wonder</harp>. You can insta-build it with just one.

Well this was a rather uneventful turnset so instead of listing a ton of buildings for every turn let me just recap....

It turns out the congress is just some random event and we never did have one. Bummer, I know. I wanted to wipe out the Americans too!

However we did win a new city. It seems our good friend Ragnar made a brief acquisition of Warsaw. The brief part being he soon found sandwiching himself between Berlin/Ikea and Roman culture was a bit more than a squeeze play. In 1745, Out of respect for the mighty Dutch, he offered it to us instead of starving his citizens like a barbarian. Ironic huh?

Spoiler :

It came with a package deal including a settled general. About the same time we got a GG ourselves, as well as hooked up horses... finally. This was the master plan I devised. I took our general and built an academy in Luxemburg, then it built a stable and started on cavalry duty. I built some basic infrastructure in warsaw... dike, temple, cathedral, barracks ... maybe a bank etc, then it can take over building rifles.

Spoiler :

Over in America we caught Washington sending settlers along the Oregon Trail. He wanted to trade maps, surely to stake out the west coast. I had other plans in mind myself... so I queued up a settler in Oaxaca to grab LA. Is he waiting for us to open borders? :lol:

Spoiler :

In the construction journal ... I continued along the usual path temples, monastaries, economy and research buildings. Winburg is about out of useful stuff to build (and is stagnant now) so I popped a barracks in there and put it on rifleman duty. I bought dikes and courthouses in most of the colonies, and we built the Statue of Liberty in Amsterdam with the help of a GE. The Dutch weren't interested in attracting poor immigrants so we stuck it in the cow barn. :crazyeye:

Spoiler :

The Opera House, National Park, and Forbidden Palace are open now. We're still about 3 banks shy of Wall Street. After Biology come in I set research to Steel->Railroad for the Channel Tunnel. Steel is out there but not many have it, Hannibal had Biology by the time we finished so I figure he's headed for Medicine. I couldn't come up with any trades but most everyone has Physics now. Maybe with Steel we can grab that.

On the war front Ethiopia declared on Mongolia and asked us to join in which I naturally declined. It turns out the AP voted the war to an end several turns later so maybe I should have. On my last turn Russia declared war on Rome and few galleons popped up off the coast of Berlin. I guess they plan to use the roads. I built a fort on the unworkable hill on our border and repositioned troops there and in Warsaw... just in case. Napoleon wanted a defensive pact and we declined.

Attachments

• Willem van Spacecakes AD-1769 Turn 314.CivBeyondSwordSave
    1.2 MB · Views: 53
lurker's comment: Judging from the thread title (JFC1), do you plan to run further RFC SGs once this one is over? I'm having a lot of fun following RFC SGs, but a solo game would be way too much work.

@Kodii - There would have to be people to play them, but I do have many more ideas...

Also, got it.

Although we were racing to Railroad, I took a guess and ran zero science for 2 turns to upgrade some garrisons and rush buy Settlers and a Indiaman in Mexico (racing Washington). When we got Steel, the rest of the world was learning it too, and Railroad was already known. When we learned Railroad on the last turn, the Channel Tunnel had not been built, so I rushed it then. It's ready to hit Enter and complete.

I did pick up Physics from Zara. Otherwise I held on to Biology. Next turn we might be able to get Electricity, Assembly Line, Artillery. We're first in score and were elected Pope, but Rome and England continue to smoke our butts in research. Admittedly, not by a lot. We have Biology; they have Communism/Electricity/Assembly Line/Radio, and Vicky also has Combustion. Also, our production is a third more than Rome's and more than double everyone else's. In theory, if we had to we could probably raze London and Rome after they launched. Espionage is also an option. The Internet might also be, since there are exactly two civs ahead of us, but not so far ahead that the Internet is a no go. But I don't think we've "lost" the research race anyway.

Speaking of smoke, I built the Opera house in Amsterdam, then realized that the Triumphal Arch is a National Wonder, so that we can't build the National Forest there too. Doesn't actually matter though -- it will max out at even health anyway. I also built half of Ironworks in Winburg, but stopped when I realized Omaha is clearly better (even after chopping two forests :smoke:) Finally, not exactly smoke, but I passed the hat to all the happy leaders and only got fifty bucks from Catherine.

We got a Great Prophet and a Great Merchant. We could settle them in Ikea, where I started the Stock Exchange, or save them for a Golden Age. I guessed the GA was better but didn't think too hard about it. They're in Amsterdam.

I adjusted the espionage pie toward the leading civs: Rome, England 10 points each, France, Spain 4 points each, other middle leaders 1 point each. To my surprise that gave us enough EPs to see France and Spain's research: Combustion 1 and Railroad 10.

Dequeued the cathedral in Warschau. Although it's missing two tiles from its fat cross, we have the Sistine for culture, and I thought we should save our cathedrals for our highest-pop cities. In practice we may not actually need to do that, though, in which case, sure, Warschau.

Looked at Free Market vs. Communism. On the turn I checked, distance maintenance was 77 and commerce from Free Market (after Harbors and Houses) was 75. State property was a 6 cheaper civic. Looks about the same to me; might as well stay, I think.

I settled two cities in California and one on Tasmania, and sign-spammed five more which I guess would be profitably cotteagable / coastable in time to help with space research. Washington did settle a city in the Rockies, but it was promptly captured by the natives. :lol:

Smoke it if you want it, Lt...

Finally, not exactly smoke, but I passed the hat to all the happy leaders and only got fifty bucks from Catherine.

Ahh yea I forgot to mention I went on a charity run my turnset. We didn't do much better though maybe 400gold which bought some dikes.

I can play later on this afternoon.

Wasn't really sure what to research and figuring the only thing we'd have a lock on was medicine... went with that. I tried negotiating electricity with everyone and no one would have it, same for assembly line. Except Zara... at some outrageous price of Biology+Railroad+Liberalism.

After considering it a while and figuring we had no other options I grabbed it and put a turn into electricity. That managed to get it on the table with a few civs but admittedly all the wrong ones, so back to Medicine we go. Well no actually I figured I'd try it with Artillery which more civs had.

No go on that either. The people willing again were all the wrong ones :cry:.... sooo back to medicine we go, for real. We ended up getting electricity from Ragnar later at the outrageous price of Biology and the treasury I built for upgrades. He would've took Steel or Assembly but I figured the gold was better and skipped the upgrades for that turn. We can probably grab Artillery from Cupac now but I didn't try it.

When we had electricity and was a couple turns off Medicine, I sold Biology to everyone that had techs but wasn't willing to trade. We made about 2000 gold doing that mainly from Mali at like 800gold. Hopefully they will consider some trades with Medicine if not blame the :smoke: on the Congress of Bonga which went like this ...

Spoiler :

I forgot to cap it but Rome asked for Berlin and lost. I retaliated with this...

and the AP...

We built the Channel Tunnel, obviously and I put factories in Luxemburg/Winburg and a drydock in Winburg was. America had a bunch of Frigates all around Australasia so started churning out ships when the congress came around. It turned out they weren't invited this time so again no problems with them. Oddly enough they renounced their vassalage to France and the same turn asked us to be their Master. I declined but they still have it on the table.

On my last turn Oslo wanted to join our empire but I disbanded since it would most likely cause problems with Ragnar and interfere with s'Grav. I bult the silk city in Australia and theres a missionary finishing up in Oaxaca to send with the Settler to Baja Cali. The copper city in Australia just needs to click enter. I've been waiting on some workers to finish up.

And last but not least we had this sick joke tossed our way....
Spoiler :

Edit: Btw.. I settled the prophet in Ikea since we still have the Olympics for a GA. I did keep the merchant though since the sushi shop was coming up, or to join for GA later.

Attachments

• Willem van Spacecakes AD-1829 Turn 334.CivBeyondSwordSave
    1.3 MB · Views: 86
**from my gaol cell**

Looks like it's going well. Medicine in 1.. do I recall reading that it mitigated the plague.. is that what you mean by the sick joke? :) Otherwise, good stuff, and we're still "smiling", so the stability paranoia paid off. :twitch:

Wasn't really sure what to research
Honestly, I haven't gone for a space V in RFC or BtS for that matter, but I'm guessing we should start down the path?

Medicine blocks plague, sounds like we just missed it.

After Medicine, I think Refrigeration -> Superconductors for Laboratories to accelerate the end of the tech tree, since we have a lot of production.

Sid's might be good..

Assuming you're not certain when you're playing again, I might play tomorrow or Friday, will "get it" if I do. If I don't, please don't wait for me.

I'm not going to got it, so you're up (at least to check in).

Bump for Sweetacshon, whose last activity was Nov 19, 2007 08:00 AM, and who can run but can not hide.

Top Bottom