1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Kuriorate Races

Discussion in 'Fall from Heaven Lore' started by Rex rgis of Ter, Feb 3, 2008.

1. Ekolite

Ekolite The Mighty Jungle

I think the fauns were originally designed for the kurios but Kael desided to use them to replace FOL archers.

I have no idea what nezumi is and I've (thankfully) never played WoW. I just think that rat-men aren't very Kuriotate IMO. Kurio races are all from greek mytholgy I think.

2. Rex rgis of Ter

Rex rgis of Ter Me I'm a Creator

AFAIK Lamia were never in greek mythology. Though it is an interesting idea.

Cyclopces for War elephants
    Nymphs for Recon/Druid
    Gorgons for archers
    humans for melee

3. DharmaMcLaren

DharmaMcLaren Chieftain

What types of nymphs? There are quite a few.

4. Rex rgis of Ter

I imagine Dryads. The Naiads (or Nerieds) are probably Danalin's extinct race, or at least similar to it. I am unaware of the other types.

5. DharmaMcLaren

DharmaMcLaren Chieftain

There are Alseids, Auloniads, Crinaeae, Dryads, Hamadryads, Hesperides, Limnades, Meliae, Naiads, Napaeae, Nereids, Oceanids, Oreads and Pegaeae.

6. Rex rgis of Ter

Well, a definition of each would be much more helpful, but I had no idea there were so many. I guess jusy dryads would work, though I think we could put some more in there;)

7. MagisterCultuum

MagisterCultuum Great Sage

I see a Dryad as a Druid UU

8. xienwolf

xienwolf Chieftain

If only we could use a proximity mechanic to allow an "elf tree" that I remember from some random mythos I have read. The closer to it the elves are, the stronger they are (and if they go more than eyeshot away from it they become pathetically weak). THEN we could have some interesting Dryads :)

9. Rex rgis of Ter

Perhaps dryads could spawn from a buildable improvment, A DDryad Grove. The Grove could spawn Dryads (who would be weaker than normal druids, but can have more). Dryads would be considered summoned units that last 3 turns. When within 3 tiles of the Grove, the Dryad's lifespan would be rejuvenated. Thus, Groves would have many dryads, while they would go only a short distance to heal/improve the land.

Yggrasidl could have a similar mechanic.

10. DharmaMcLaren

DharmaMcLaren Chieftain

• Alseids
      Nymphs of glens and groves. Enjoy frightening travellers.​
    • Auloniads
      Nymphs of mountain pastures and vales. Associated with Pan (god of shepherds and flocks, of mountain wilds, hunting and rustic music).​
    • Crinaeae
      Fountain nymphs.​
    • Dryads
      The nymphs of oak trees.​
    • Hamadryads
      Nymphs who are bound to one tree. If the tree dies, the hamadryad bound to it dies also.​
    • Hesperides
      Nymphs who tend a garden in (the Greek idea of) a far western corner of the world.​
    • Limnades
      Nymphs of freshwater lakes, children of river or lake gods.​
    • Meliae
      Nymphs of the ash tree.​
    • Naiads
      Nymphs of fountains, wells, springs, streams, and brooks.​
    • Napaeae
      Shy but joyful nymphs who live in wooded valleys, glens or grottoes and are associated with Artemis (goddess of forests, hills and hunting).​
    • Nereids
      Fifty daughters of Nereus, a Titan associated with the seas, who live in a cave in the Aegean Sea with their father. Sea nymphs.​
    • Oceanids
      Three-thousand daughters of Oceanus and Tethys, each one the patroness of a spring, river, ocean, lake, pond, pasture, flower or cloud.​
    • Oreads
      Nymphs of mountains, valleys and ravines. Each mountain has its own set of oreads. They are associated with Artemis.​
    • Pegaeae
      A type of Naiad that live in springs.​

There we go, a summary of nymphs.

11. Rex rgis of Ter

Perhaps Hamadryads would fit the Kuriorates the most. Water nymphs are most likley associated with Danalin, Napaeae and Oreads are more likley to be with FoL. The hesperides are probably not in Erebus (Maybe in another plane, like Sucellus').

12. MagisterCultuum

MagisterCultuum Great Sage

The "People of the Mer" would probably be the Thraxian civilization (the one that Danalin loved but could not save), but I probably wouldn't identify them with water nymphs. I see all the nymphs as more related to Amathaon, the goddess of creation and the patron of the Kuriotates. They are probably her angels or elementals, although some may belong to Succellus, Cernunnos, Danalin, or even Kilmorph. I don't see why Oreads would be FoL, since they aren't related to trees but to landforms.

Several of these could probably be adapted to the recon line. I don't even see a problem with giving them some of the water nymphs as UUs with water walking. This could be very useful if they can't get close enough to the sea by the time they have built all their real cities.

Edit: the Aifons were Danalin's favored sea people. I don't think we've been told who the Thraxians were yet.

13. DharmaMcLaren

DharmaMcLaren Chieftain

I'd definitely say hamadryads were affiliated to Sucellus or Cernunnos. I didn't include it above, but since they're bound to a particular tree, hamadryads will punish those who cut down trees and guard their tree. Which is very FoL. Napaeae are very congruent with the lighter side of the FoL, the frolicking around in groves and being wary of outsiders in a non-murderous-hillbilly kind of way.
    Kilmorph's nymphs would probably be oreads, due to their association with mountains, valleys and ravines.
    The most likely affiliated with the Kuriotates, I think, would be Hesperides. The idea of tending, nurturing and looking after a blissful garden fits quite well with the Kuriotate idea of raising, protecting and maintaining metropoleis.
    As for Danalins merfolk, they'd probably be dissimilar to nymphs in that nymphs represent the spirit of a place or a thing, and his merfolk seem more to be an actual race, more similar to the other races of Erebus than the almost-elemental nymphs. Kind of like you wouldn't expect treants to be a race.

14. Fenboy

Fenboy Chieftain

Perhaps introducing dryads/hamadryads for FoL, and putting fauns/satyrs (back) in with the kurios?

15. Ekolite

For the record, I assumed lamia and Gorgons were essentially the same thing

16. DharmaMcLaren

DharmaMcLaren Chieftain

Do Lamia have snakes in their hair/snakes for hair?

There are the Lamiai, female daimons (supernatural beings between mortals and gods, such as inferior divinities and ghosts of dead heroes), in Greek mythology. They're described as half-woman, half-serpent; but in that they had legs like snakes' tails. They disguised themselves as beautiful women with illusions and lured young men to their beds, then revealed their true forms and ate them.

17. Ekolite

I wouldn't know, but they do have the lower body of a snake. Besides the descriptions of mythological creatures tend to vary. I did say essentially the same.

18. DharmaMcLaren

DharmaMcLaren Chieftain

Well, the behaviour of gorgones and lamiai is always said to differ (even though lamiai are later described as spectres in the service of Hecate). Lamiai are always described as seducers of young men, the quivalent of succubi; and gorgones are varyingly described with golden wings, boar's tusks and brass claws, but seeing their face always turns the viewer to stone.

19. Love

Love Chieftain

Whats with the recon there? :p

20. Copper Golem

Copper Golem Goblin

Could anybody give a link to topic or simply explane "who is Lorda?" :blush: