Laundry Plus Heating?

We don't have a basement or attic. The house is built on a slab and all the rooms have cathedral type ceilings.

Line drying requires so much less ironing. Linen shirts are unironable after tumble drying, and I wear a lot of linen shirts. Even with a nice cotton shirt tumble drying isn’t an option. Iron dry or hang on the line and let the creases blow out.

Line drying requires so much less ironing. Linen shirts are unironable after tumble drying, and I wear a lot of linen shirts. Even with a nice cotton shirt tumble drying isn’t an option. Iron dry or hang on the line and let the creases blow out.

I don't bother ironing my shirts.

Got a garage? It's a dry climate.
No garage. There was one in the original plans (from 1958), but it was turned into a workshop by a previous to us owner. We then turned that space into a family room and and storage room for a freezer and lots of shelves. the house has a circular drive and that is covered by three large Mulberry trees. In the winter the crows love to roost in them and the poop on our cars! Our house extends pretty much from lot edge to lots edge (less 6' on one end); if that was a bit wider, then we could easily build a garage in the back.

No garage. There was one in the original plans (from 1958), but it was turned into a workshop by a previous to us owner. We then turned that space into a family room and and storage room for a freezer and lots of shelves. the house has a circular drive and that is covered by three large Mulberry trees. In the winter the crows love to roost in them and the poop on our cars! Our house extends pretty much from lot edge to lots edge (less 6' on one end); if that was a bit wider, then we could easily build a garage in the back.

I like how in some parts of the country with the most unused land the houses are the closest together.

Most days a small, hour long wash in my 5kg machine.

Hang on a horse to dry.

When we renovate we will get a washer/dryer. Towels and socks/pants are so much nicer for it. Will still hang rest of clothes because I find tumble dryer causes so much wear and tear.

Hang on a horse to dry.
I'm going to have to ask for pictures before I believe that one...

Currently, my apartment has a washer and dryer in-unit, both electric (I learned last winter that natural gas clothes dryers are apparently a thing).

In my previous apartment, there were shared laundry rooms across the units, $1.50 per wash or dry cycle.

I do have a drying rack, and used it more often when I was paying per load. Most of the time I'd still use the dryer, but the rack did pay for itself over time. Also super helpful when the payment processing system went down between when I started the washer and when I would have started the dryer, which happened more often than you might expect.

A 'clothes horse' !

16582980516473766173811241589278.jpg

Washing machine in the kitchen, line in the balcony, less than 12 hours to get dry in summer, about 2 days in winter, never had the need of use a cloth just after washing it. No need of drying machine.

Regarding heating, we have central heating but I can turn it off in our apartment. We pay for the upkeep of the heating + the time the heating is on in my apartment.

Top Bottom