Optimum/standard room temperature?

What's the standard room temperature in your country?

• Total voters

Winner

Diverse in Unity
Simple question: what is considered the normal/standard room temperature in your country? I am not asking about the ambient temperature, so if you live in a hot country and don't use air conditioning, please do not vote in the poll. For those who use heating/air conditioning, what's the temperature you and most people in your country feel comfortable with?

I am asking because some Americans have told me that Czech houses/apartments are overheated. I admit I need about 25 °C, otherwise my hands and feet start getting very cold, which is uncomfortable. Now it's the part of the year when it gets cold outside, but the bloody central heating isn't on yet. The thermometer shows about 20 °C in my room and I am suffering :xmas:

(Oh, use Celsius degrees only, the poll doesn't support uncivilized units of measurement)

Well 26.85C is 300K which was a handy number to use in secondary school chemistry for problems occuring at room temperature, so I've always viewed room temperature as being 300K for arithematical convenience.

Edit: I'm not aware of what Irish society considers to be room temperature.

Around 20 is optimal for me I think. At the moment I'm sitting in shorts with 17 degrees and it's a bit too cold.

probably 22?

personally i have to live with less than 17 during harsh winter weeks as the heating sytem is too weak, which isnt great but an ok condition to me.

Hospital nearest here is set to about 21, which is warmer than I'd use. About 15 would be good for me, if others are cold, just put a jumper on. I rarely use my heater though, even when the temp in my loungeroom is single digits.

My parent's rule of thumb was "if temperature drops below 18° C, you can start heating". I'm used to that, but at my (one-room) apartment it's usually much warmer because it's isolated enough that my PC's heat keeps it at roughly 22° C without problems ;)

Around 20 is optimal for me I think. At the moment I'm sitting in shorts with 17 degrees and it's a bit too cold.

Hospital nearest here is set to about 21, which is warmer than I'd use. About 15 would be good for me, if others are cold, just put a jumper on. I rarely use my heater though, even when the temp in my loungeroom is single digits.

I'd already be in a coma if I was forced to live in 15 °C :lol:

I don't mind cold if I am outside, doing something. It's just when I am reading or working on PC and it's cold in the room, the lack of physical activity causes my extremities to get cold, and I hate it.

I'd already be in a coma if I was forced to live in 15 °C :lol:

I don't mind cold if I am outside, doing something. It's just when I am reading or working on PC and it's cold in the room, the lack of physical activity causes my extremities to get cold, and I hate it.

Warm socks are a must. Never had a problem with the hands though.

Warm socks are a must. Never had a problem with the hands though.

Doesn't work. My body's thermoregulation is toast - warm socks cause my feet to get hot, then they sweat, the socks get damp, and thus my feet get rapidly cold again. I blame the genes I got from my mother :)

About 26C. It's not standard here, I think (it varies a lot), but that's how I like it and what I think people are typically comfortable with. I've never measured the room temperature in the UK, but I can live with a few degrees lower.

Then get some thinner socks.

We normally set the airconditioning to 23 C year round, but the temperature never reaches that. If it did, we'd probably think it too hot in winter and too cool in summer. In winter we'd aim for 21 and 25 in summer. So I voted 22-24.

I've always been struck by how warm British households are! Australian households are much colder in winter.

About 18-20C in winter. We don't normally use aircon in summer (we have one very old one in the living room) but if we do then we'd aim for 25C. Personally, 18-22С is where I feel most comfortable.

For me it is not about the the temperature, but not more about the humidity. I can stand it being 40C, but if it is 30C and high humidity, then it is unbearable for me. My best guess would be high 20's for me.

26.112 C for me. It's a bit warm by Las Vegas standards. Most restaurants and such will be cooler. Unfortunately the poll is in celcius, and I won't convert that again. Places of business are usually around 76 to 77F. I prefer 79F, although if I'm doing physical activity (like a gym), then cooler room temperature is preferred.

The poll options are too wide for me (because Celcius is such a crappy scale), 24C would be too cold for me, but I'm forced to vote for it. *sigh*

I prefer 18-20, I think. Not that I ever bother with heating or air conditioned.

Oh, for the poll I voted what is optimum for me, not what most places of business have it set at. I should also note I'm cheap, and don't believe in wasting resources. Las Vegas just got our first cool spell. And It's 53F outside. (11.6C), my inside temperature is around 60F (15.55C) at the moment. I have on socks, sweat pants, tank top shirt, and sweat shirt. I won't turn on the heat yet as it will get warm next week, and I don't want the pilot light warming things up (and wasting gas). So I won't light the pilot light yet. Usually in the fall and winter I'll keep my house around 64 to 65F (17.7C), and in the summer I keep it around 79 (26.112C)

Las Vegas temps are weird. We go straight from needing an air conditioning because it's too hot outside, to needing heat.

Top Bottom