Laundry Plus Heating?

Wood takes a while to dry.
In Maine we burned 7 cord of wood a year. We started cutting it in March; moving it in the summer and splitting and stacking it in the wood shed in September. In NC we used half that so the process was much easier. Often we got lucky and just hauled away dead trees left by others.or which died naturally. You just have to plan. And know your wood.

I never understood why anyone wouldn't just hang their clothes out to dry (unless the weather doesn't comply, obv). It's literally free of charge (as opposed to the drier), it's much nicer for the fabric, it's much better for the environment and it's one big household utensil you don't need to splurge money and more importantly space for. It's not even that time-intensive, I usually need like 5 minutes for one machine full of clothes.
I don't believe there's a right or wrong, we all live in different cultures and circumstances. There's no way I could hang up a machine full of clothes in 5 minutes (here, we're taught that we should do full loads to save energy and water) Also, in Michigan, hanging them out to dry just really isn't practical in this climate.

Fabric softener really makes your clothes and linens smell delightful :)

This argument always gets me though..

"What, you don't put your central heating on in summer? You don't fly a plane instead of using public transport? You actually walk to the grocer? You don't have the TV running while in another room? Might as well live in a cave!" yeah.. nah. Being the least bit responsible isn't the same as rejecting modernity.
Oh I totally agree it's not a zero-sum game, I just bring that kind of thing up when someone picks on 1 thing I do as being non environmentally conscious. Unless I am living in a cave, there's always going to be something I can be called out for regarding my carbon footprint.

In Maine we burned 7 cord of wood a year. We started cutting it in March; moving it in the summer and splitting and stacking it in the wood shed in September. In NC we used half that so the process was much easier. Often we got lucky and just hauled away dead trees left by others.or which died naturally. You just have to plan. And know your wood.

I remember collecting pine cones as a kid or here's a tomahawk cut kindling.

Probably shouldn't burn stuff these days except camping/special occasions.

Father in law uses a logburner bit haven't seen an open fire since 1996 or so.

I have a washer and dryer in my unit. Most of the apartments before this had on-site but not in-unit washer and dryers that took quarters. I still have a couple of rolls of quarters left over from those days in a drawer.

I dry about 1/4 of my clothes on a rack - mostly items that would shrink in the drier or are delicate or that I want to keep for a long time. The drier is pretty rough on clothes and ages them fast compared to air drying.

I have a washer and dryer in my unit. Most of the apartments before this had on-site but not in-unit washer and dryers that took quarters. I still have a couple of rolls of quarters left over from those days in a drawer.

I dry about 1/4 of my clothes on a rack - mostly items that would shrink in the drier or are delicate or that I want to keep for a long time. The drier is pretty rough on clothes and ages them fast compared to air drying.

This is really interesting to me. My crappy washer + rack combo makes the longevity of my clothes garbage. I'm always happy when I get to use a modern washer/dryer combo because it's so much gentler on my clothes.

This is really interesting to me. My crappy washer + rack combo makes the longevity of my clothes garbage. I'm always happy when I get to use a modern washer/dryer combo because it's so much gentler on my clothes.
Can both of you be right? :p

Can both of you be right? :p
No. Sad to say, but Hobbs and I must now duel to the death.

Edit: I'm pretty sure the damage to my clothes is from the washer. I've been stuck with cheap top-load washers the past five years. Their spin cycle is really rough.

I've always wondered (but were afraid to ask) ..... Well .... ummm :mischief:.....how do You wash Your panties out in space ?

No. Sad to say, but Hobbs and I must now duel to the death.

Edit: I'm pretty sure the damage to my clothes is from the washer. I've been stuck with cheap top-load washers the past five years. Their spin cycle is really rough.
It must be a really cheap top loader. We've used top loaders (Maytag and SpeedQueen) for more years than you have been alive and my wife swears by them. Why would spinning damage clothes? Water friction?

I've always wondered (but were afraid to ask) ..... Well .... ummm :mischief:.....how do You wash Your panties out in space ?
Currently they don't. They wear the same clothes much longer than we do and then they throw it away as garbage to be disposed of by burning up in the atmosphere. Fresh clothes are then sent up to replace them. The Japanese had some experimental underwear that one of their astronauts wore for a couple of months straight that used special clothe that was supposed to be antimicrobial and didn't accumulate smells as much. I haven't heard anything about it since that one-off experiment, so I think astronaut clothes are still normal clothes that they just wear longer.

Currently they don't. They wear the same clothes much longer than we do and then they throw it away as garbage to be disposed of by burning up in the atmosphere. Fresh clothes are then sent up to replace them.

Oh right :) I've always imagined the clothes line stretched up between the solar panels :D ;)

Oh right :) I've always imagined the clothes line stretched up between the solar panels :D ;)
Hmm... Not sure you'd even need the solar clothesline.

Would throwing your wet laundry into an airlock-chamber, and then depressurising it to vacuum (without actually opening it to space), cause instant evaporation of (most of) the water...? Or would the clothes just freeze into planks?

(But yes, hobbs, I know that in practice, on a real space station, water and air are still too precious to waste like that!) ;)

Hmm... Not sure you'd even need the solar clothesline.

Would throwing your wet laundry into an airlock-chamber, and then depressurising it to vacuum (without actually opening it to space), cause instant evaporation of (most of) the water...? Or would the clothes just freeze into planks?

(But yes, hobbs, I know that in practice, on a real space station, water and air are still too precious to waste like that!) ;)

We need a substantial testing ! :) Hobby it's up to You (You've been chosen by a computer xD) This battle task will require You putting a laundry in the vacuum and see what happens ! Good luck Soldier ! ;)

In NZ we've figured out how to wear underwear for a month.

Wear it normally for a week and then put it on back to front for the next week.

Scrape them off and turn them inside out then repeat the front to back process again viola 4 weeks.

In NZ we've figured out how to wear underwear for a month.

Wear it normally for a week and then put it on back to front for the next week.

Scrape them off and turn them inside out then repeat the front to back process again viola 4 weeks.

Makes sense !

Top Bottom