Optimum/standard room temperature?

What's the standard room temperature in your country?

• Total voters
21 is probably about avg for my house, although I try to keep the room with my computer more like 24 or so. Oddly enough its weird for me to think of indoor temps in Celsius as the thermostats are in Fahrenheit. Outside temps though, I always think of as Celsius.

20 in summer, 24 in winter.

We "foreigners" make up 95% of the world's population, so get used to it and use a temperature scale that we can understand.

I keep my apt.'s AC on 72 F which is a mote over 22 C. That's a little on the cool side, though.

Americans need to start using Celsius and the metric system.

I just showed in my first post why the system is crap. The range is too wide, and requires the use of decimal points. The difference between 25 and 26C is quite significant. One can be too chilly, while the other too warm. Compare this to 75 to 76F which is close enough that there isn't much difference.

So when making a poll such as this, and the poster gives a range of 24 to 26C that is too wide a range. One is too cold, and the other too warm. But if you gave a ranged of 74 to 76F, those would be acceptable poll options.

If they weren't so insistent on 0 being freezing, and 100 being boiling, they could have come up with a better system. F is better because it requires no decimal points (unfortunately it is harder to spell, so I won't do it :))

18 to 20C is perfect. obviously I don't keep it there during the summer, so I suffer instead at around 22-23. During the winter, it's awesome because I can keep it nice and cool inside and save on heating. I would guess -normal- is around 22??

*Good Lord, Celcius is such a crap measurement. Way too imprecise without using decimal degrees.

I just showed in my first post why the system is crap. The range is too wide, and requires the use of decimal points.

So what? If you feel the need to use them, then use them. Personally, I don't think it's necessary unless you are measuring something where precision is necessary, like body temperature - and there you need to use decimal number no matter which scale you use.

If they weren't so insistent on 0 being freezing, and 100 being boiling, they could have come up with a better system. F is better because it requires no decimal points (unfortunately it is harder to spell, so I won't do it :))

Are the Americans on average mentally deficient in some way that they're unable to use decimal numbers with which the rest of the world doesn't have a problem? I don't think so.

It's just the usual grumpy resistance to innovation that's exploiting the notions of Americans exceptionalism for justification. Get over it, the sooner the better.

---

And by the way, the perception if "precision" is rather funny. If you grow up with the metric system, the most usual objection you hear from the few holdouts of the old system is "metres/litres/Celsius scale/kilos are too imprecise, you need to use decimal numbers where we don't". Well, the thing is, we don't either. Nobody says "oh look, it's just 7.5 °C outside" or "I weigh 85.4 kilos". What you see as "precision" is nothing but your particular cultural notion that's being reinforced by the units of measurement you use. If you switched to the metric system, you'd get used to it pretty quickly.

It's similar with colours - what Western societies consider the "standard colour scale" - green, yellow, red, blue, etc. - isn't really what other societies would necessarily agree with.

18 to 20C is perfect. obviously I don't keep it there during the summer, so I suffer instead at around 22-23. During the winter, it's awesome because I can keep it nice and cool inside and save on heating. I would guess -normal- is around 22??

*Good Lord, Celcius is such a crap measurement. Way too imprecise without using decimal degrees.

The thing is, there's absolutely no need for it to be any more precise without using decimals. If you want to be exact, you use decimals, if you want a rough idea of the temperature, it's perfectly adequate anyway.

Top Bottom