Leader / Civ Picking Thread

Thanks Sommers!

Now that we've locked down India, we can start thinking about the best leader to pair it with. So far the snake pick has been great for us, with half the teams in front of us choosing leaders that we weren't even considering! There are only four more leaders that can be chosen before the pick comes back to us, so here is my top five list, in order of preference:

1. Pacal (Fin/Exp): Financial for obvious reasons, Exp to pair with our fast workers
2. Mansa (Fin/Spi): Looks to be the top choice of many, so I don't think I need to explain
3. Darius (Fin/Org): Again, Darius (and org in general) was pretty popular upthread, so no explanation needed
4. Isabella (Exp/Spi): This would be my first non-fin choice, as it pairs exp with spi
5. Ghandi (Spi/Phi): Would be great for a SE (oh wait, are we playing UNrestricted leaders?)

Disclaimer: All my preferences are subject to change with a little bit of convincing from team members.

Two leader choices left before we are chosing. Maybe Mansa Musa is indeed available still. I'd prefer him, then maybe Huayna Capac.

I was thinking about UniversCiv's choice of HRE, and I would bet they're going with an org leader to compliment their rathaus ub. If that's the case, then only Civfr is a threat to take Mansa.

I'm actually surprised that no Spi leaders have been chosen, given all the fear of the enabled CSM.

Ha, UniversCiv was indeed ready with their Org pick! I think they took less than ten minutes to make their choice after Civfr posted theirs.

I know Mansa is probably the consensus right now, and I think this would be a very strong pick, but I wanted to make a quick argument for Isabella. Isabella would let us keep the Spi trait, but pairs it with Exp to take advantage of our fast worker. My biggest concern with Mansa is that our start will be too slow, putting us at an immediate disadvantage relative to other teams. Exp will allow us to 1-pop whip granaries in our new cities to get them growing faster (and allowing us to whip them again faster for better production). It gets our UU out faster, so our land will be improved faster, so our cities will get bigger and have more hammer output faster! It's all about the snowball effect. Also, we should be building LOTS of fast workers to use in combat roles in addition to improving our land.

Also, and much more importantly, we should figure out a creative image to go along with our leader choice. We can't let rb and Apolyton have ALL the fun!

This is where we stand. Team RB then Civplayers to pick, then us. Since they both already picked leaders, we get whatever leader we want.

Team WePlayCiv (Ragnar of __________)
Team Civforum.de (__________ of Inca)
Team Apolyton (Elizabeth of __________)
Team Spanish Apolyton (Boadicea of __________)
Team Civfanatics (__________ of India)
Team CivPlayers (Darius of __________)
Team Realms Beyond (Pacal of __________)
Team UniversCivilization (Mehmet of Holy Rome)
Team Civfr (Wilhelm of Maya)

So, Mansa and HC people have been vocal about. The other candidates there were more like backups? Good FIN leaders are on the table at least. Very interesting to see how differently the teams prioritize.

So with Mansa HC we'll be chopping wonders like there's no tomorrow. And with HC Mansa we've got better defense against CSM, as well as being able to swap in and out of OR etc..

I'm not sure who to root for really, but I do like FIN leaders. Anybody want to elaborate on why they'll pick one over the other?

What about Peter? EXP for our fast workers and PHI as economic trait?

Or Frederic? ORG/PHI?

2 economic traits ? We will have the luxury of putting more cities than no-ORG leaders and go without fast border pop-ups because we can overlap our cities and then use PHI for GPs and bulbs?

Or Sury - CRE for free city site planting and EXP for explosive start with the BFC available for our Fast Workers to develop/

tobiasn - I like Organized. It is, I'll admit, a later-game economic trait than Financial, but I find it stronger, especially in a competitive endgame such as we are liable to see. Spiritual has already received mounds of praise, so I won't go into that here.

Of course, I totally get why Mansa Musa is quite popular, and I would happily play as any of the leader in the poll.

If anyone is unsatisfied with the poll's choices, please post your choice in the comments. They will be counted just as any traditional votes. But no getting around the one-vote-rule, though!

Or Zara? CRE for land claiming and ORG to allow us to plant more cities and then even more after we build Courthouses? Also we deny him to the HRE guys.

Top Bottom