Leoreth Appreciation Thread

Literally me.

Hi Leoreth,

I want to thank you for your hard work on this mod, and the thousands of entertainment hours it has provided for me over the past decade plus.
It's amazing to me how you are able to work on this project for such a long time, and how a whole community has sprung around it.

I hope to be playing for many years to come as well!

Thousands of hours! That's a lot of time. Thanks for playing.

Just wanted to mention that in my book this is the greatest Civ experience ever designed and it's pretty much ruined the standard game and even the original RFC mod for me. Beating every UHV on Monarch is a quest I've attempted and reattempted for years, always gleefully starting over when I come back after a hiatus to find that things have changed.

I'll cite just a few points of absolute brilliance. Not sure if all of these are Leoreth's doing but even if not, successfully integrating them into a coherent whole is no less praiseworthy:
  • Redesigned tech tree represents the evolution of technology vastly better, with enough resolution to avoid weird stuff like Railroad allowing Machine Guns, but not so many techs that each one doesn't feel interesting and valuable
  • Civics ring true enough to history while offering interesting choices. Playing through a variety of civs, almost every Civic gets a chance to shine.
  • Military units feel spot on in terms of their use cases and place in history.
  • UU/UP/UB are generally well designed and interplay nicely with UHV objectives
  • DOC largely mitigates the main flaws of RFC: the opaque and unforgiving nature of many of the new mechanics, which are not as fleshed out as those of the base game
  • The many QoL improvements to the base mod alone add incredible value
Basically, I feel that a 5-year prison sentence would fly by so long as I could take a PC into the cell with this mod. Bravo!

Thanks for your nice words. Most of it is my work both in the implementation and design choices, but several of the features wouldn't exist without the initial idea and groundwork from other mods. In particular, the format and baseline content of the tech tree (if not its full current content) are taken from History Rewritten, and many units and buildings are only possible through the graphical work done by so many community members but especially their aggregation in other major mods. Realism Invictus really has to be mentioned in that context, they have great art assets.

I hope we can carry things forward and make them even better in the future.

Thank you Leoreth for this amazing mod. I have been playing since 1.11/1.12 days and I have to say the mod is in an extremely polished state right now. It's honestly the peak CIV4 experience for me and I am amazed how much depth there is to this mod. I must have spent hundreds of hours playing DoC on various version.
Fun fact: I still have 1.12 installed on my old PC in my parents house and it's my guilty pleasure whenever I visit family for Christmas holidays.

Oh no not 1.12...

I actually can't believe that after n months of waiting, we are actually now heading into the development of the new map and 1.18. This is the moment I've been waiting for since Bautos42 released his original version of the new map.

Thank you, Leoreth, for pouring your heart, mind, and soul into DoC for the past 10+ years. I've been playing since I think 1.10 or 1.11? (I actually had to check the individual version history text files to attempt to recall the earliest changes I've played. I can only remember that I have been playing this since I was around 15 or 16, and I was already here when you moved the repo from SVN to Git, lol). This mod has kept me sane, made me happy, and inspired me to learn more not only about history and geography, but even also in programming.

I have currently been working as a data engineer for the past 3 years, which is in a few major aspects also a programmer. And I would like to flex that my experience in Python and Git workflows is mainly all thanks to DoC. I may not have contributed much to the actual source code so far (and for now; best PR I've had so far is updating tech icons and VD), but I've been closely looking at almost every Git commit you push to see how exactly changes are implemented in code.

Now that we are going to the most exciting part, I'll try to look for areas or aspects of DoC that need work, may it be updating or balancing or whatever. With your consent, of course. I—and many others here—appreciate you a lot.

Needless to say, what is made here overshadows the entirety of Civ IV by a long shot, maybe even the entire Civ series (at least the later installments). Opps but I better stop procrastinating/playing the game and get back to coding homework (which this game inspired me to try in the first place)

I had a dream last night that involved a stability map being overlayed on the campsite I was visiting and it was a struggle to fit my gear within the core which wasn’t very expansive. Thanks Leoreth, camping will never be fun again. 😅

build more courthouses

I had a dream last night that involved a stability map being overlayed on the campsite I was visiting and it was a struggle to fit my gear within the core which wasn’t very expansive. Thanks Leoreth, camping will never be fun again. 😅
You... you might want to take a break from the game.

I played this mod with Italy. I really enjoyed it especially since I am of Italian ancestry. I just really want to thank you Leoreth for the hard work you put in this mod. I do believe Firaxis and Civ itself suck, Civ becomes great thanks to people like Rhye, Leoreth and all the others that design mods. It sucks Civ does not give you guys more recognition.

Today I just reached 1,000 hour playing DoC on Steam (should have reached that before steam was common though). Thank you so much Leoreth.

Oh that's incredible! Thanks for letting me know! It really makes all the hours I worked on it worth it.

A Poem for Leoreth (Artistic Liberties apply)

Oh mighty Rhye, founder of RFC,
Patron of those who love history,
Your works have been refined by the stern but benevolent Leoreth
Whose mighty efforts, sweat bursting from his brow, fingers tightened from long use,
Make a mod already giving honor to the struggles of history even more realistic

Oh great Leoreth, who stands alone carrying the torch of history safely,
Avoiding the raging seas of arbitrary randomness and excessive attention to detail,
Your work turning a game that was once old, into a game worth more than precious gems
Your work binding the tattered remnants of a beloved community brought low by age
Your work redeeming old-school game design,

Let yourself be enshrined in the halls of Mod development
Let yourself bow to none in submission, but show your face proudly amongst the great modders old and new
May your work bring you and others joy until it ceases, and even beyond that, your legacy being indestructible,
Until the last breath of humanity and its spirit is drawn.

Top Bottom