1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We have selected the winners of the Old World random draw and competition. For the winning entries, please check this thread.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Old World has finally been released on GOG and Steam, besides also being available in the Epic store . Come to our Old World forum and discuss with us!
    Dismiss Notice

Lets get this out into the open: MRAs

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Quackers, Jun 11, 2014.

1. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

Kaiserguard's conception of masculinity seems to consist of equal parts chivalry and contempt. I'm not sure either are healthy.

2. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

I assumed his post was satire. I can't think of any other explanation.

Though I've seen something similar. Can't remember when. So he may have copy-pasted it from a PUA site or somewhere.

3. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

I dunno, this is the guy who cheerfully describes himself as an "anti-democratic reactionary". If it's satire, he's deeply invested in the bit.

4. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

Well, true, true.

5. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Yeah, I never said that's what the statistics mean, though. All I said was that it was interesting that the study I read concluded that most domestic violence was perpetrated by women, not men. That some people take that to mean that more women beat men at home as opposed to the opposite, is not my problem.

I suppose I should have been more clear, but I wanted to see how people would respond. :p

And if that's not even correct, as I think some are saying, then I would take that post back, but I have no idea. It comes from a study that seemed to have the backing of people who study this sort of stuff.

6. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

A lot depends on what you call abuse, though. I was very lightly slapped by a woman only today. You know how they do that, when you've said something very mildly outrageous and they want to playfully reprimand you? I suppose technically it qualifies as an assault. But as far as I'm concerned she can do it all she wants. And more.

Much more.

I wouldn't dream of doing the same, though.

And could it be this sort of thing that skews the data?

7. NovaKart

NovaKart شێری گەورە

I remember once we had a real disagreement about gender issues but I 100% agree with your post this time.

8. classical_hero

classical_hero In whom I trust

Have you seen the work of some modern feminists? You are basically describing them as well. As Gory said many reactions by some Men's group is to counter what some of the feminists are doing and in doing so they copy the same mistakes.

9. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

I doubt it, women playfully touching you like that is more likely to be a sexual advance rather than abuse.

10. Rashiminos

Rashiminos Fool Prophet

Given notions of equality and recent discourse on unwanted touching, it really shouldn't be seen as "a sexual advance." It's not.

11. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

Oh, if only I could believe it! But that would be wishful thinking. Or tempting fate. Or something.

12. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

We have to be careful what we're whining about. What was the last major success of the feminist right's movement in your area? In my area, it was the criminalization of spousal rape.

When did the change people are whining about occur? Before they were born? After?

13. Manfred Belheim

Manfred Belheim Moaner Lisa

Excuse me if I'm being obtuse (or it's already been addressed in subsequent posts), but you didn't seem to make it clear what factors you're specifically talking about, that are in women's favour over mens.

14. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

I know, I was using another extreme to illustrate that it probably isn't abuse either. Plus Borachio seems like the type of guy who enjoys sexual advances from women.

15. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

Don't know. It matters which change you're talking about for sure. Certainly, marital rape becoming a thing is very important. I wonder, though, whether it's as important as, say, the Equal Pay Act. Which might, I'll concede, be debatable.

Mary Wolstonecroft predates me by a considerable margin. But I personally predate The Female Eunuch.

16. Rashiminos

Rashiminos Fool Prophet

Only it's not that extreme. Unwanted touching is currently deemed to be sexual harassment (or assault), and how well did you establish that Borachio "enjoys it?" (Assuming the desire on the part of the other party versus receiving unambiguous signals that the other party would welcome advances).

17. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

Fear not. Warpus has me bang to rights.

18. NovaKart

NovaKart شێری گەورە

If we're going to suggest that the abuse against men is possibly of a light nature in many cases, we could do the same for women. There may be many cases where a man pushed a woman or struck back after being slapped. Without taking a closer look at the study we don't know. Some statistics include emotional abuse as well which is a very vague term.

19. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

Crumb, sorry. Okay, so once we acknowledge that some people are more 'deserving' of lower sentences (just due to the way the system works), is it possible that women (objectively) have an easier time meeting these criteria? I mean, it would suck if there was merely the perception they did, if they didn't, but if women do objectively have an easier time meeting these criteria, you'd expect lower sentences.

All I'm saying is that this leaps out as being a potential explanatory cause.

20. Manfred Belheim

Manfred Belheim Moaner Lisa

But what are the criteria, and why would women have an easier time meeting them? And if they did wouldn't that make the criteria inherently sexist? Unless of course the women really are a lower risk of being reoffenders, but why should that be necessarily the case for the particular women in question, who are charged with the exact same crimes as the men they are being compared to? I'm not saying it couldn't be the case, but... could you give even a small example of what you mean?