[LH] George S. Patton

@Gaius; GOSH..... i hope and :please: that is the that cool inspirational music from Patton (the movie) when he's rallying his troops.... di-da-da't tada....da-da,da-da, DA_DA!!!!! di-dara-tada, di-dara-tada, DARA....DARA!!!! :D :D :D

Not merely the music from the movie, but three different versions of it. As a matter of fact, I can't wait... :D

[Goes to listen to it right now.]

Dutchking... wasn't ignoring you... just really didn't have anything to add to what you had said... I was replying to someone else. I'm not mad at you either, I just moved-on.

i hope and :please: that is the that cool inspirational music from Patton (the movie) when he's rallying his troops.... di-da-da't tada....da-da,da-da, DA_DA!!!!! di-dara-tada, di-dara-tada, DARA....DARA!!!! :D :D :D
Don't get me started about the movie Patton... I understand that there are not many German vehicles for Hollywood to play with, but put some effort into it. Take a M48 Patton tank, slap a fake muzzle break onto it, paint it a different color and presto, you have a Tiger tank. M8 armored cars with german crosses are now German armored cars. Even the allied tanks are M48s, not a single Sherman in the movie. :lol:

I'm not even going to go into what Patton really sounded like (voice-tone-wise) compared to George C. Scott!

Okay... so I'm a big WWII buff/purist... probably all those years pouring over 100s of tank stats for every WWII nation in the world in Pacific General, and spending countless hours making little tiny graphics for every obscure tank one can think of.

Anything I say about WWII needs to be taken with a grain of salt... I mean no harm, but I do usually know what I'm talking about. ;)

Dutchking... wasn't ignoring you... just really didn't have anything to add to what you had said... I was replying to someone else. I'm not mad at you either, I just moved-on.
Sorry. Sorry for my insulting you as well. You handled it much more maturely than anyone else I've gotten into a fight with. :D I'm sorry for this whole thing.

Don't get me started about the movie Patton... I understand that there are not many German vehicles for Hollywood to play with, but put some effort into it. Take a M48 Patton tank, slap a fake muzzle break onto it, paint it a different color and presto, you have a Tiger tank. M8 armored cars with german crosses are now German armored cars. Even the allied tanks are M48s, not a single Sherman in the movie. :lol:

I'm not even going to go into what Patton really sounded like (voice-tone-wise) compared to George C. Scott!

Okay... so I'm a big WWII buff/purist... probably all those years pouring over 100s of tank stats for every WWII nation in the world in Pacific General, and spending countless hours making little tiny graphics for every obscure tank one can think of.

Anything I say about WWII needs to be taken with a grain of salt... I mean no harm, but I do usually know what I'm talking about. ;)

u r absoloutely correct!!!!...but that MUSIC is AWESOME.....rump, rump, rump, rump..........di-da-da't tada....da-da,da-da, DA_DA!!!!! di-dara-tada, di-dara-tada, DARA....DARA!!!!

Well, what do you expect from Hollywood? My area is ancient history, and I absolutely cannot stand the way that history has been butchered in "films" like Gladiator, The 300, or Alexander. However, I think it's a little unfair to criticize Patton so strongly - though you are right about the small bits. The extras used in the movie were on loan from the Spanish Army (who still used American vehicles) and the locations were entirely filmed in Spain, I believe. No on-the-spot Ardennes offensive, I'm afraid.

Nonetheless, the thing I think is most important about the movie is not the particulars (e.g. things like "haha they used model X when model Y was actually the predominating one at the time"), but rather the progression of events and the spirit it encapsulates. No other actor has ever captured the essence of a historical figure better than George C. Scott did in this film. Hell, he was an even better Patton than Patton! :D (Little hyperbole there, but you get my point.) The movie itself is portrayed accurately, though accuracy does not necessarily entail fullness. They completely left out the raid on the POW camp in March of '45, for instance.

Anyway, what I'm saying is that I agree with you, but I chalk this up to Hollywood more than anything else. If we understand it as a movie, and particularly if we compare it to other "historical" movies that have been made (coughcoughPearlHarborcoughcough), it absolutely shines.

Well, what do you expect from Hollywood? My area is ancient history, and I absolutely cannot stand the way that history has been butchered in "films" like Gladiator, The 300, or Alexander.

Remember that 300 doesn't try to be a historical film, though. It's simply a story told by an injured Spartan soldier.
And if you're familliar with Spartan stories, you'll know that it's not too far off aside from inaccuracies such as the "boy-lovers" line.

I too am a bit of a history buff, though I focus more on entertainment, political, and military history. Entertainment to a lesser extent, since I usually don't give a rats ass about paintings, and care more about stories and architecture.
...Basically I'm the guy who rants about movies set in Greece that use Roman names, Roman architecture, etc. Or even worse, movies that pull a Clash of the Titans and have several civilizations blended together in a confusing mixed drink that not even the most daring of people dare drink.

At least WW1/2 movies tend to be more accurate, though even the most accurate suffer from... rather silly plots, like Saving Private Ryan.
On the bright side, even if you don't count Patton among the great WW movies, we at least have The Great Escape, which everyone can agree on.

anyone else get a corrupted zip?
Yes, I downloaded it a little while ago & the zip file won't open for me either.

dutchking said:
ermm...what does that mean?
It simply means that the zip file gives an error when we try to extract it such as this:

"Patton.zip: The archive is either in unknown format or damaged"

I am going to try redownloading the file to see if that fixes it, but in lieu of that would it be possible for you to upload the file to the Civfanatics servers, dutchking? Regardless of what anyone else has posted here, I think it is a terrific looking LH and would like to add it to my game. :D

[EDIT] I just downloaded it again and still cannot open it.

It must be CU...When I upload other LH's you guys don't get "corrupt" thingies do you? :hmm:

I'll upload the new version here either later tonight or tomorrow morning. (there's a few edits I've made to the texture, shaders added, a few minor tweaks) So keep your eyes peeled within the next 12 hours. :D

Preview...I still want to make some more changes, small enough so that I'll definitely be done by tomorrow after noon.
Hey, I forgot, I added the shaders back on without 3Ds Max. :p (tutorial also coming tomorrow)

Or perhaps the Patton leaderhead would look much skinnier to me if I knew there was another certain leader on the way...? ;)

This thread is hilarious.

Top Bottom